PDA

View Full Version : Naples - I am Here - The Real Facts

Kingron
24th May 2005, 22:07
So I just read the post about Naples Air Centre. As I am here I thought I might be able to give some true insight in to what is going on.

1. Accommodation. I called my hotel the day before I arrived and they had not received confirmation of my arrival. Naples Air Centre had sent it - But the E-mail system at the hotel was down. It still is. If you are coming, call the hotel a couple of days before you arrive and check your confirmation. Don't worry about lack of Wifi at the hotel though; it’s free at the Air Centre. Just bring your lap top.

2. Too Many Students. Ha Ha! It is a small air centre. They could do with a couple more private study rooms BUT there are those doing the PPL - who tend to stick together are here for 2 - 5 weeks and who study in the school and at the hotel. And there are those on the CPL or APTL courses who are in classes for most of the day. There is a good amount of banter, always someone to talk to and always a great atmosphere in the place.

3. Not enough aircraft - no time slots. Well tomorrow I am flying twice, once in the morning once in the afternoon. At any time I can call or I can ask what my schedule is for the next day and they will tell me. Yes it is subject to change - but I have not yet lost an hour of flying for anything other than the weather. AND I have not lost and hour to the weather yet either.

4. Lessons in the plane - yes you are taught to fly the plane. You need to listen and learn. You want to pay for ground school they will happily give you more ground school lessons. However its about self motivation. Pass the exams before you come - ideally but if you can't, buy the books (or CD's) and study when you get here.

- On the subject of the Oxford CD's I find they don't have enough detail in them and the books are better. Nikki has been a wonderful help at the Air School, and she saved me a fortune. Buy as much of your kit out here - especially headsets and books if you are not going to use them first. The dollar is good at the moment - Take advantage.

5. Accommodation - Yes its a 10 minute car ride away. I have hired a car. Book one in the UK and it will cost about £100 per week. You are in Florida, you can walk to the old town of Naples from the hotel and to a local shop but that is it. It is Car Kingdom. You can go by bike. Its a 10 min cycle ride to the air centre from the hotel - quicker than driving at rush hour! Its bloody hot here. I didn’t want to arrive every day hot and sweaty. Plus mid day I can go out for lunch - to the mall or the local shops - Subway is very close. The mall is a short (10 Min) drive but there is a cheap food court.

There is loads to do and see here so a car gives you flexibility - BUT others have cars - I am happy to take people out so many on tighter budgets manage well without cars.

The Wellesley hotel which is 10 mins away is $35 per night for a KING SIZE Bedroom. Its Bloody Cheap. You can get cheaper accommodation if you want but you will be sharing with people - mostly males, mostly who will not be very tidy.

The pool at the hotel is clean and usually fairly empty.

6. Property in Naples is expensive if you want to buy property say a 4 bed 4 bath house on the beach front you would spend a couple of $million. They say it is the most expensive and exclusive area in Florida. Better than living in the grottos of Birmingham or Sheffield.

You can eat here for $3 up to $35 a meal. You want posh they have posh. My average meal has been about $8. (Breakfast is free in the hotel) (yes for $35)

7. Schedules are changed when planes need repair. They are also changed if the weather changes. If a teacher is ill or something else unforeseen happens then yes there might be issues. I have not experienced ANY.

8. I have not heard of students failing the PPL. I have heard that they have not reached the required standards because they are not studying enough, or they just don’t get it. To get your PPL in 45 hours is very very difficult. I do not think I will achieve it in 4 weeks. I don't have the ability. I should not blame others for my lack of ability. However if I really wanted to I could but I am looking forward to coming back here in the Autumn to see Nikki and the Crew again and hopefully finish off then. (I am only 1/4 of the way through my time here now but you have to be realistic). If you are academic and take things up quickly you will have no issues.

9. The Teaching here is excellent. Yes the teachers get hot and bothered - they work in a small tin can that we the student throw them about in. They are young, and they are working to build up their hours so they can get better jobs. They are not paid very well. I know that for a fact. I know it because I am the student paying them and as the student I DONT PAY VERY MUCH! Fuel here has doubled in the last year. The rates for plane hire have not. I dont think there is much money in either running a training establishment or working at one.

Compare it to the UK. - you can't. The cost, the weather and the environment.

10. Back to Back Flying. I have never had two flights back to back. Tomorrow is typical. 8am Flight and 2pm Flight. Plenty of time in-between for study and for lunch.

11. If you are brain of Britain and you have passed all your exams before you come you can complete the course on time on budget. Otherwise - take a view - a relaxed one that things do not always run to time or plan and the most likely thing to let you down is YOU!

12. People graduate from Naples every day. There is a huge turnaround and a lot of success stories. When dealing with the public there are always a few “..ankers” that you cannot please. There are always moaners and complainers. But be realistic. You need to fly 45 hours in 3 weeks. That 15 hours a week. Allowing for your first weekend and 1 day off a week you are never going to get enough hours in and Learn at the same time. You could but you will be miserable.

13. Each 1 hour flight requires 20 mins pre-flight at 10 mins after flight. You need to allow around 2 hours per slot. You cannot do 3 slots a day - you can but you will be too tired to enjoy your flying lessons and experience.

14. Naples is run like a business. Yes if it doesn’t make money it wont be there. But the management are courteous, and kind as are all the instructors and students. Everyone is hear to help. Nicky and Bea are superb and very knowledgeable. They have both offered me loads of support and encouragement.

15. Knowledge of the English Language is very important. If you cannot communicate to Air Traffic Control in English you should not be here or in the air for that matter - buy a ticket like the rest! There are students here from UK, France, Denmark, Germany, Singapore, Malaysia, South America, The Netherlands - plus other countries. All are welcome and feel welcome I am sure.

16. I have been here for 9 days, I am here for a total of 28 days. I will be coming back. I am surprised that many of the people I have met have been here 3 or 4 times already. They come to get the PPL then the night rating or more hours, then for Weather Ratings... Its great to spend time with Like minded people.

If you are thinking of coming here and are worried about complaints posted on Pprune, think of McDonalds - and the problems they had when they were sued for serving HOT Coffee. You cannot please everyone but if only one or two are not happy - who is it who has the problem!

Kingron.

Feel Free to message me if you are thinking of coming and have any questions. If you are going to be here before the 20th June I will look forward to meeting you!

prunster
25th May 2005, 01:21
Dear Moderators,

Why is it that you allow students of both NAC and EFT to use this forum as pretty much unpaid advertising? No other school is represented in this way. I can't believe that this is because places such as Bristol are inferior and thus don't derserve it.

Regards

Prunster

AndyDRHuddleston
25th May 2005, 02:11
Ladies / Gentlemen,

So as to keep the complaints at bay, may I ask anyone with REAL queries regarding NAC, their facilities, management, airplanes, policies, instructors etc, to drop me an email or PM via Pprune, where I can give you my views.

I have been here since Sept 04, and whilst I can symathise with some of the comments / issues raised on pprune, overall my experience here has been very positive and worth every penny.

Of course we will all have our own opinions on how businesses should be run, but at the end of the day they are only our opinions. We have played our part my voicing those opinions, but don't expect everything to change as a result.

Anyhow, as I say, get in touch and I will share my experiences / advice gladly! I am however in mid training so please allow a little time for me to respond.

ADRH

Kingron
25th May 2005, 03:21
Come On. If it was **** I would say so. There are problems of course in any organisation. There are things that are not ideal however in my experience which is as someone at the school currently I have experienced nothing that I do not like.

I responded to the post because I felt it was a total misrepresentation. In fact - the sort of mis-representation that might have been posted by a competitor company of NAC.

I am not being paid, was not asked and did not consult anyone at NAC on my reply.

Now if you want to talk about Florida, US immegration queues, and the love of f'in jesus in this state then I can rant and rave as much as you like as there are serious issues that need addressing. I just didnt think they would be appropriate in this Forum.

daniel78
25th May 2005, 07:15
let´s get one thing straight King,the real facts according to YOU

By the way,
you almost had even me going there for a while(I was just about to re-enroll) right up until the point you mentioned the part about the competitor company ,bad move sailor

You may be the KING, but I think I will stick to the peon´s word on this one

Your humble servant
Dannyboy

Kingron
25th May 2005, 14:08
What are you talking about. Of course its my own opinion and experience.

Don't come... who cares. I don't. I am going to the pool to study my Air Law then get ready for Liverpool beating Milan.

Oh and most people call me HRH.

daniel78
25th May 2005, 16:10
What some people on this site,need to start learning (regardless of school), like his royal highness over here, is that by expressing your own opinions doesn´t automatically mean you have to dismiss someone elses.

If “Naples student” is a competitor of NAC, what stops the King from being an employee of NAC? One loves the place the other one hates it. What is the difference?

So King do yourself a favour, next time you make or break a place
just write about your own experiences and leave the experiences of others alone.

What might be real to you,could be very unreal for someone else

Oh and most people call me Mr Dannyboy

Kingron
26th May 2005, 15:42
Hey, hang on a second Mr Danny Boy. I have only expressed my opinions - and I am happy for others to have their own. HOWEVER I was responding to blantant LIES.

The only real truth was that there is just 1 gents toilet... and it can be a little annoying. Its not terminal though.

Oh and what was that about Liverpool beating Milan.... HA HA HA. Your right - I did trip out of the pub - I was wasted. WHAT A SUCCESS! Best team in Europe!

2close
27th May 2005, 07:10
I have absolutely no axe to grind with or any comment to make regarding any FTO or any individual but given the comments I have read in this and many other threads I am beginning to think it's about time this industry (Professional Flight Training) had some form of objective benchmarking, with independent auditing of trainers' qualifications, facilities, standards, policies, prices, results, financial, safety records, etc. with results published publicly on an (?) annual basis.

This may not be popular with all as there would obviously be a cost incurred that would eventually find its way in to the flight training costs and I am very aware than an audit is only accurate at the time it was done (and that in itself could be questioned).

However, it may be a step towards sorting out the wheat from the chaff and identifying those FTO's committed to providing a decent service and, more importantly, to providing something a bit more tangible than personal opinions, a great deal of which are honestly founded but some of which are nothing more than sour grapes (NOT directed at anyone in particular; and if we were to be absolutely honest, we'd all probably have to put our hands up to that one at some time in our lives).

In any case, it's only food for thought.

Contact...Wait...Out.

Woaah, fog's cleared. Time for wheels up. Happy flying and follow your dreams, troops.

2close

Alex Whittingham
27th May 2005, 08:01
A good idea, but its the subjective things that make the difference between a good school and a bad, not the number of toilets. The CAA should pick up on that anyway. In fact, as I read down the list in your first paragraph, every single item is audited by the CAA on an annual basis. If an FTO doesn't meet the standards the report records a 'non-compliance'. This doesn't neccessarily mean the approval is withheld, its just something they politely ask you to fix before the next inspection.

As an external observer I don't think these catfights between the US FTOs help anyone, it would be nice to see intelligent observations, including critical ones, which are not automatically flamed by the same two or three posters. Every single critic of this school is jumped on every single time by the same posters, with the exception of Kingron who's a newbee, and the thread always descends into name calling.

NB The woman in the McDonalds coffee case, Kingron, received third degree burns over 16% of her body. McDs deliberately served the coffee at 180°F to 190°F and had already injured more than 700 people with it. I think they deserved to lose. One of the many mythbusters sites (http://www.centerjd.org/free/mythbusters-free/MB_mcdonalds.htm)

scroggs
27th May 2005, 09:00
prunster People here are entitled to discuss any school they like - or don't like. It's not Pprune's fault that NAC and EFT happen to be the flavours of the month at the moment! For sure, any post that lauds or puts down any given school is likely to be rapidly followed by one that gives the opposite view, and that's fine by us.

What is not fine is resorting to childish and petty insults, or diverting a useful thread into a conversation about football. daniel78, you are skating on thin ice. Keep your posts to the subject at hand, and try and make your point without insulting or ridiculing those you are in discussion with.

Scroggs

daniel78
27th May 2005, 11:32
I think insulting and ridiculing is a bit harsh

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th May 2005, 16:26
Well I don't so be mindful.

It was with trepidation that we let this thread start knowing full well it would reuslt in a Pro/Anti catfight. We have to trust to the maurity of readers to deduce accurately the reality.

Cheers

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 20:11
Well said WWW - about time someone with sense came along and put the brake pedal on hard.

AMiller
28th May 2005, 11:33
Hi,

Kingron, thank you for YOUR time and YOUR effort in informing us of the situation out their.

prunster and daniel78 what is your problem? I doubt you'd be bothered enough to inform people here in such great depth as to your current situation. I'm sure the purpose of such a message board is to share information and knowledge? I must be wrong....

Wee Weasley Welshman you mentioned you thought it would turn into a "Pro/Anti catfight" - well maybe that is because some people just can't help themselves!

scroggs you mentioned that daniel78 was not posting inline with the thread. My post is not either but it just annoys me that there are so many people that opt to take such a immature and quite frankily silly approach to peoples good will.

Andy

WX Man
28th May 2005, 11:52
Alex... loved that link, very informative!

On the subject of NAC, I wasn't sorry to see the back of the place. Anyone interested can PM me.

Boeing737
29th May 2005, 16:57
Oh god.i have just finished my college finals, and i can guarantee that their difficulty dosent even come close to the difficulty of deciding whether or not i will head to naples for my ppl.i had initially planned to do so, but after reading this post, along with the other recently posted criticism by naplesstudent i am of two minds. :confused: There are so many pros and cons, i dont know what to believe!!!??!? WX man, i will pm you regarding naples.
Best wishes.
:}

SAS23
29th May 2005, 17:45
A poor workman blames his tools! A poor student blames his school!!!!!:ugh:

daniel78
29th May 2005, 18:28
moderators,
I know you´all busy deleting my work,
but there is a full blown out war going on in "Naples Air Centre - The Truth" ,you should go and have a look at it

SAS23,you should start your posts with

"and Confucius says..........." that will leave a greater impact,trust me ;)

dannyboy (please don´t delete me,you are screwing(can I say that?) with my mojo)

BigGrecian
30th May 2005, 00:28
Why is it that you allow students of both NAC and EFT to use this forum as pretty much unpaid advertising? No other school is represented in this way. I can't believe that this is because places such as Bristol are inferior and thus don't derserve it.

Prrunester I'm sorry - but PPrune isn't just for people to moan about schools - it is not advertising - it's just that using PPrune it is quite often difficult to get positive comments! (As said by Scroggs)

People only generally speak up when unhappy - good for those who have spoken up when happy with something!

Charlie Zulu
30th May 2005, 18:44
Heather was my FAA CPL/IR instructor...

Nope she doesn't work there anymore, hasn't for a year or so. She was over in EAA opposite NAC, but looking at their website she no longer works their either.

I reckon that she has a job on executive jets at last, but don't take my word for it as I don't know... (I'll email her to find out as I wouldn't mind knowing if she has or not).