PDA

View Full Version : Modular Training @ Stapleford

tudeski2004
24th May 2005, 09:50
Hi all.
I am a police officer who has decided that the time has come to begin my training to become a pilot. ( I know a completely different career ). Anyway I have a question to ask as I can't seem to make my mind up for the best.
When I start my training I have two options. I can take a career break from the police without pay, meaning that at the end of the pilot training, I can return to work and carry on as before.
The second Choice is to remain at work and complete my pilot training on my days off. I work 5 on 5 off.
I would like to stay at work as it means money coming in all the time, however I was told it would be best to take time off work and concentrate on getting my flying done and exams passed.
What do you think is the best thing to do, and could anyone recommend Stapleford. I have heard nothing but praise for it and like the look of the setup there.
Any advice would be appreciated

Mobieus1
24th May 2005, 11:24
I would stay at work if I were you especially as you get to have 5 days of in a row. But only you can decide that.
Have no personal experience of Stapleford but I have a friend there who seems reasonably happy.

sdryh
24th May 2005, 13:27
Stay at work, 5 on 5 off this is a fantastic situation to be in. Try to get as far as possible without getting into debt. It gets expensive when you start looking at CPL and IR

EGCC4284
24th May 2005, 22:09
Started my 4 week flying crash course in August 1999.

I then bought a share in a C150 and started building hours.

Started correspondence ATPL course in September 2001.

ATPL exams passed, 300 hours built, CPL passed and I'm now 6 hours into my IR.

For the last 5 years, I've used all my holidays from work in order to do this.

The good points is I've had an income coming in all the time and my training in the long run is cheaper because my wage is still helping me and my family just about live without going into too much debt.

The bad points is I've not had a family holiday since ???? well I cant remember. Very understanding and supportive wife.

If I had jacked work in completely and completed my training in lets say 2002, I probably would not of got a job straight away because of Sept 11th.

I hope to have IR complete for September 2005.

It's a long slog and you should not look too far ahead.

I would stay at work as long as you can. Your 5 on 5 off is perfect for flight training.

By the way, I work a shift pattern of 4 on 2 off sort of thing and was sometimes doing 50 - 60 hours a week before I cut it back last year in order to get on with my training. Now doing about 40 hours a week on shifts, earlys ( 5am starts ) lates ( midnight finishes ) etc etc etc

It can be done.

G SXTY
25th May 2005, 12:06
Would echo those comments. 5 on, 5 off is perfect for combining work and flying. I’ve also kept my ‘day job’ for as long as possible, allowing me to keep my options open and get the PPL, 100hrs TT and the ATPL writtens without any debt. The flip side is that it has taken over 4 years to get this far (flying at weekends & using my holidays for studying), which is far too long.

I’ve now decided to jack the job in and go full time on the hours building and CPL/IR, which means I can get everything finished in a few months, but the finances are a lot more critical. You pays your money and takes your choice . . .

Regarding Stapleford, it’s a good school with a good reputation, and would certainly be on my shortlist for the CPL/IR. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Dicky Birded
1st Jun 2005, 20:59
Hi,

tudeski2004 I'm in exactly the same situation as you, apart from working 6 on 4 off.

I have been to Stapleford, only a stones throw from where I work.
They seem very helpful.

I am thinking of a career break.
I did consider working but I usually have a full night shift before my first rest day and I don't think this will be conducive to studying, and as Damienmk says you never know when you may be called in for an operation, shift cover etc.

The guys that have completed distance learning ATPL theory, how did you find the self study process without a tutor.

thanks
DB.

Damienmk
2nd Jun 2005, 15:35
Hi DB,

I found the distance learning very hard work. You have to apply yourself and being a police officer (shift work etc) does not help. However, it is achievable, I am evidence of that!! I used Bristol Ground School and can't speak highly enough of Alex and the team he has there.

What made things that little bit more difficult for me was the fact I was in Bermuda while I was studying. Sometimes, no matter how you read the text in front of you, there me be something which just doesn't sink into the grey matter. If I was in the UK when I was studying, it may have been easier to have made a phone call to BGS and have a chat with someone who may have been able to "spoon feed" me. Obviously, time differance, expense etc, this wasn't an option I was able to use. You however, do have that option.

However, the BGS forum was helpful, as were the two week crammers. There were plenty of "a ha, so that's how it works" moments once I was in the classroom. Several mates of mine have also completed the studies full time. The one thing we all agree on is that the subject matter isn't overly difficult to understand. It's just that there's an awful lot to remember. The marks I scored were similar to the marks of my mates who studied full time. It just took me a little longer to get there, which, had a plus side. I was able to save money to help fund the training!!

I didn't leave the Bermuda Police Service until I was through the ATPL exams and ready to hourbuild and train full time. My advice to you would be to do the same. It's a little bit more time consuming, but like I said, at least you'll have an income when you're studying, and can take the career break once you're ready to train full time. That's certainly what has worked for me.

Good luck!

Dmk

Dicky Birded
4th Jun 2005, 11:17
Thanks Dmk :ok: