PDA

View Full Version : Best Airline I flew with (whilst still in the military)

bluetail
23rd May 2005, 20:33
Looking at the airline announcements thread, the Dandair comment got me to thinking about long lost (but maybe not forgotten) airlines I had the pleasure of flying with whilst still serving.

In my time at that place near Walters Ash, I regularly flew from LHR to Dalcross on good old "Dandair". If I recall it left at about 6.45pm and our office called it the "3 Gin Trip". One on the climb, one one the cruise and one for the drop, (we knew the flight attendants quite well) together with a fresh Scottish salmon evening meal, and proper shortbread.

The run south left about 9am and was blinding breakfast, with even proper fresh tomatoes with our bacon and eggs, non of your plastic stuff for Dandair.

Happy days, BA could really take some lessons.

STANDTO
23rd May 2005, 20:42
only flew with them once. Memorable. Cockpit was like a social club. mate of mine went up front whilst I was having a kip. I was awoken by a/c dropping out of the sky and startled hosties looking nervously at each other. Mate returns in fits of laughter.

Conversation apparently went:

" well, were getting ready for our descent into Newcastle now"

"oh, what does that entail then?"

"This, basically"

(stick well forward)

Awesome!

Doptrack
24th May 2005, 10:48
Bluetail - you really weren't trying. 5 G&Ts were often achieved. Just make sure there was a nominated driver.

The best response I've had was on Finnair.

Due to problems with the booking (thro' an agent) our "confirmed" tickets were anything but. Finnair put us on the standby list. We got on the flight in preference to Hannu Micala (sp?)

When the stewardess found out what had happened - we got fed two very large brandy's

foldingwings
24th May 2005, 12:22
Strangely, the answer to this question, for me, is BA! Let me explain.

Back in 1983, whilst fulfilling my obligations to HMQ, BEagle's so-called Vickers Funbus mob failed to provide the necessary and promised ac to move 16 Sqn from Laarbruch to Cold Lake to participate in Maple Flag. Following a necessarily short exchange (we got no more than 48 hours notice of a lack of assets) between OC 16; HQ RAFG and (was it?) HQ 46 Gp the decision was taken to fly the aircrew civair to allow them to acclimatise before taking on the elements and the bad guys at 100 ft. This was in the days when BA still asked for payment for booze whilst travelling in cattle class on long haul! After a very pleasant Lufthansa flight to LHR with complimentary G&Ts, I and 25 fellow aircrew boarded a Jumbo bound for Toronto seated as far back as possible without actually being in the cr****rs. As we lifted off the tarmac, each with about 7 or 8 G&Ts now swilling internally, the trolley dolly announced to one and all that because they had members of the esteemed BA Canada Club travelling, all drinks would be courtesy of BA - Mistake!

One hour out from Toronto back she came on the blower to apologise that, because their hospitality had been so welcomed, they had run out of booze!! Well, she added, not exactly run out, they had Tia Maria left and if anybody fancied a Tia Maria they should ring their bells now.

Needless to say, she had hardly uttered the words when 26 hands at the back of the aircraft were raised to the ceiling! The ac landed dry at Toronto.

Once happily in our Club seats on the Air Canada 727 and half-way to Edmonton later that day, we were surprised to hear that the chief steward felt obliged to close the bar because some of his passengers had clearly had too much to drink already! Who? Us!

So for me - it's BA but, I have to say for levels of comfort and attention Singapore Airlines Raffles Class to Melbourne many years later runs a very close second!

24th May 2005, 12:24
I always stayed away from DanDare after I watched a 737 get airborne from Aldergrove straight up into a monster CB which it would have been very simple to avoid.

Gainesy
24th May 2005, 12:43
Remember watching a Dan Dare hostie stuffing wet bog paper into the cabin door to achieve a seal and stop it screaming...

typhootea
25th May 2005, 15:18
Well there have been a few with the aforementioned Dan Dare and BA amongst them, both memorable in their own way. The 'redeye' breakfast out of INV was corking, especially with a part filled aircraft and a full complement of food to get through before arrival at LHR....no doubt a task that the Nimrod formation eating teams down the road at Kinloss would relish...Bluetail having first hand experience with that!

The Brymon servce from LHR to Newquay (St Mawgan) was also memorable for the lift like departure and shake rattle and roll flight down to Cornwall.

More recently the Titan ATR shuttle flights (loads of leg room and leather seats!) around the Gulf bring back fond memories as Barry the camp attendant (no he didn't look after tents if you know what I mean) kept us fed and watered as we droned between Bahrain, Qatar and Basra. Lufthansa to Munich from Manchester is a nice service but as with most airlines nowadays you are just treated to 'ein sandvich' and a drink before arrival at one of Europe's best airports. Finally Alitalia, nice service, nice hosties, pity about the state of the airport at Turin!

Megaton
25th May 2005, 15:34
Eight of us on way to LV via LA for some top secret desert action. Travelling Virgin Premium Economy which was fine. Arrived at LHR to find that all but one of us had been upgraded to First, thank you very much. Travelling sqn ldr remonstrates with check-in girl waving his gold club card and insisting that the eighth member of our party should be upgraded as well. Dutifully check-in girl gathers in tickets, punches some keys and hands them back out again with sgt upgraded.

As we boarded the aircraft, sqn ldr finds out how they managed to upgrade the sgt....they'd given him his seat! Needless to say, we sent him a glass of champagne from First to his seat in Premium Economy. Cheeky blighter even tried to join us in the in-flight bar so we had the luverly stewardess send him back whence he came.

Great trip. Champagne to start. Followed by gin on the taxi out. Wine with dinner. Port with coffee. Manicure and massage. Hangover in LA.

bluetail
25th May 2005, 17:29
Typhootea

Glad to see your still alive an' kicking allways thought Lufty served up bratties and stuff, to help with the lardiness.

Tell you what though, I,ve just had my first Eastern Trip (a Jetstream 31 flown by an ex Kipper Mate) not Beagles favourite machine and a tenuos link there, but it was Champers both ways, free of course, and lots of it, I gather standard out of INV.

Highly recommended, a bit slow v.nice hostie but pleasant enough.

typhootea
26th May 2005, 10:10
Champagne on a Jetstream? Bet that was nicely shook up for you then! We get to fly Eastern on the shuttle flight from the Lancashire Riviera to Filton....don't get the luxury of any food or drink though.

BEagle
26th May 2005, 11:39
"....a bit slow v.nice hostie"

Dare one guess her hair colour?

Sorry, L****!

heywood u bleume
26th May 2005, 13:37
Apropos the LHR - INV run with DANDARE and the G + T consumption record. I recall that 2 Buccaneer drivers for 208 Sqn, travelling back to Lossie from Northwood, held the unofficial record with 16 consumed. I believe that the ride in the tranny van back to Lossie was interrupted to EMER JETT some of the load so the record was disputed by some. Not a bad effort though helped by some of the hosties being married to Bucc pilots.:yuk:

HUB

BEagle
26th May 2005, 14:38
Not quite in foldingwings' league:

Some years ago, Bondage and I were returning from a JMC up in Jockistan. This involved a night trip back from Turnhoos to Norwich St Faith in an AirUK Fokker Friendship...

The first surprise was the scheduled flight time - something like 3 hours. But they told us that this was because we had to land first at Leeds Bradford. Off we went; then, shortly after departure Bondage having peered out of the window announced "Ah - nasty old break, the wheels won't come up..."

The captain explained that this was because the pneumatic system hadn't got enough puff left, but all would be OK once they'd managed to charge it up from whatever pump they had in the thing. After a few minutes battling against its own built-in headwind, the dear old beast surged forward in relief as the landing gear finally retracted.

Then off to LBA. Round and round and round trying to get in, but the fog defeated us and we set off for the nearest available aerodrome to offload the few pax bound for LBA and so we landed at East Midlands sometime later. At this stage the stewardesses looked very pleased; when we asked why, they told us they were now on some minimum overtime payment. "Sounds like 2 G&Ts then, please" quoth I. "Large ones?" "Yes please!". And so, as the wheels came up at EMA 2 very fine G&Ts were served up! As we made our way back we were then entertained by being intercepted by our own F-4s - a predictable event in those days for the 'Norwich Flyer'!

Overall, great entertainment value!