PDA

View Full Version : multi/ir oop north?

yorky drifter
23rd May 2005, 12:14
Hi, im looking to start my multi/ir shortly whilst holding down a job with strange hours at the same time in newcastle.Could anyone advise if the 2 schools at leeds/bradford are my only option.This is a pretty long way from ncl on every day off/early finish as well as taking in all the new flying stuff.

I would ideally like to have it finished by mid august so was after any advice from u guys as to whether this is do-able on 2.5/3 days a wk and if there is anywhere closer to ncl.I have been advised that teeside will be doing the course in the future but aren't ready yet.

Any pearls of wisdom gratfully recieved!

cheers
YD

topcat450
23rd May 2005, 13:23
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF ought to help you.

Looks like there's a school at Humberside,

JB007
23rd May 2005, 18:32
Hello YD,

I'd becareful if you are considering commuting that sort of distance for an IR course, especially if you choose a certain school at HUY, if you want my personal experience, please feel free to PM me.

You been knackered from driving won't help! It's tough going. Anything at Carlisle these days that might help you? Lots of stuff on here about Multi-flight if you have a search!

Cheers
JB

yorky drifter
24th May 2005, 11:36
Jb pls check pm's

cheers

Maude Charlee
28th May 2005, 14:54
Unfortunately it is a bit of a bummer living in the CPL flight training black hole that is the North east. Quite correct, Leeds is your closest option. Nothing at Carlisle or indeed Newcastle for the MEP/IR, and Humberside is even further than Leeds. Expect a 1h45m drive to either of the schools at LBA for as long as the traffic is kind to you. Facilities at LFS are considerably less comfortable after a long drive than at Multiflight, but I can't knock the training there (although the GA7 isn't necessarily the best a/c for the job due to its lack of icing protection).

Not sure that Teesside is a complete loss though. Cleveland Flying School I am sure have twin a/c available to them and you may be able to complete the MEP rating, but I'm not entirely sure about the IR. Not an approved school for CPL training though (last I was aware at least).

piper pervert
29th May 2005, 17:20
Hi MC,
I have spoken to cleveland and im planning on doing the multi in their twin.I had to weigh up the disadvantage of doing the multi and ir at seperate schools against the cost/time saving of being able to do the multi somewhere 50/60 miles closer to home than leeds. Cleveland are planning on getting the relevant bits of paper to allow them to do ir s but i think it is a little way off.

Still a bit torn between lfs and multiflight though,im not bothered about the appearance of the place but multi do have a more advanced sim that allows u to log a greater proportion of the ir hours.Having said that,the person i spoke to said it may be oct/nov before they can fit me in which aint much help!

The plot thickens!
PP

Maude Charlee
31st May 2005, 17:12
Probably need to clarify my slightly cryptic assessment of LFS facilities. The sofas are not the most comfortable (particularly if you have a bad back or neck), and as they also have a slightly laid back attitude to time-keeping you can expect to spend quite a bit of time in them. However, this does also have the added advantage of being able to get in and use the sim for solo IFR practice whenever it is available at no extra cost. Sim is perfectly OK for the job, and the instruction is well up to scratch.

Nice bunch of folk, and Dylan will even pop out and fetch you a sandwich at lunch times.