PDA

View Full Version : Cost v Benefit Flight Training Schools

mat01
22nd May 2005, 20:57
Hello. I'm 31 and have nearly completed my PPL. I'm loving every minute of flying and am now seriously considering paying an awfully large amount of money to fly professionally.

I'd like to enroll in an integrated ATPL course at the end of this year. There is a bewildering array of flight schools out there, but FTE Jerez and OAT keep coming up as some of the best places to train.

What I'd like to know is what your experiences of the difference schools rate as far as money v results (and a job!) go.

Some pilots I've talked to say OAT is the best because they put the most emphasis on helping their student be ready for the jobs market. Others say FTE in Jerez is good because of the relatively low all up cost and professional standards.

I'd like to widen the range slightly : Whilst the above two schools seem to be the best contenders at the moment, what about the US schools, and other courses abroad - for example in Oz or NZ or even Langkawi, Malaysia?

So to recap : Which is the best school as far as course benefits versus cost?

Since I should already have my PPL, a school that offers a discount for students with their PPL would be obviously good news. I know that Jerez is one such school.

Discuss :O

jb5000
22nd May 2005, 21:43
Hey,

I think its very much a matter of personal preference, there really is no substitute to going out and visiting the schools and seeing which one feels best. You hear good and bad things about every school, so in the end I reckon you just have to go with the one that you like.

At the end of the day I truly believe that they are more the same than they are different, and you are likely to really enjoy your time at either school and be trained to a high standard.

Probably the most important thing when looking at flight schools is their employment rate with airlines, but this information is the holy grail of all flight schools. If you can find a completely accurate percentage then you are a better man than I.

I would also say that if you can afford to go to FTE / OAT then go for it, can't hurt can it? If you are more likely to get a job with them then most other flight schools then surely its worth the extra cash. I know I mentioned earlier that the data can sometimes be misleading, but you have to accept that your chances are higher going to FTE/OAT/Cabair plus perhaps a couple of others.

OAT also will do you a rebate for your PPL, in the region of 1500 plus an extra 400 for night rating. Worth checking these figures though.

Sorry but I have no idea about schools in Oz / NZ !!

All the best with the training,

James

I am now awaiting the flaming from the people who didnt go to FTE/OAT... Such is life!

mat01
22nd May 2005, 22:27
Thanks.

I would only have the money for OAT/FTE via the 'selling my soul for ten years' method to HSBC or some other bank. I'd obviously much rather spend less with a cheaper school, but why spend 25 grand and not get a job for 4 years, instead of spending 70 grand and get a job in a year (is that a touch optomistic!?!?).

Money is very important to me, because I don't have any significant savings, but getting a job is even more so.

I don't mind spending squillions if it actually pays off, so long as this IS actually what happens - hence this thread.

Cheers.:uhoh:

thefunky1
23rd May 2005, 01:12
Mat10,

I'm in the same boat as you, ppl training, determined to make it professional as it's all i've ever wanted to be. I'm in the fortunate position of having some savings and kind parents (and no brothers/sisters which i have to admit is a HUGE advantage for once) but i'll still need to borrow some dosh. That said, after months of trawling around and trying to look at all the info on here i am definitely leaning toward OAT. Yeah, they're expensive even with the rebate but they seem to have good rates all round for performance and good airline contacts.

Granted it'll mean spending money but that's all going to happen anyway so the way i'm looking at it is to go for that and hopefully (and i hope this isn't my rose-tinted spectacles talking) stand a not bad chance of a job and reasonably soon after, as certain as anything can be in this business. At least that way you have an excellent background to work from and are likely to earn more quickly doing what we love rather than spend a bucket load of money anyway, then have to go back to the grind for much longer.

Hope that makes sense. TF1

;)