PDA

View Full Version : PIO in the 757/767

FLCH
22nd May 2005, 15:33
Does anyone have any information on pilot induced oscillations in a crosswind on landing? I'm aware of the phenomenon, but how is it induced, and is there a way to stop it so close to the ground? I've experienced a PIO twice, both in pitch, I understand they can occur in roll too, can anyone shed any light on this please ? Thanks.

barit1
22nd May 2005, 22:41
While PIO has been standard naming for decades, it's really inaccurate because it implies pilot culpability.

A better term is "pilot-in-loop" oscillation. The human has known response times, just like the rest of the loop.

Any time this servo loop (the pilot plus the airplane) goes unstable, it must be viewed as a human factors design problem.

Fatter Bastard
23rd May 2005, 09:54
guaranteed cure - ;) - go around...

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd May 2005, 16:32
FLCH

Have you seen the following infomation.
Two Boeing "Operations Manual" Bulletin revisions were released for flight crew awareness:
TBCR-30, Lateral Control, 01-Aug-02.
TBCR-47, Lateral Control and Pilot Induced Oscillation, 01-Aug-02.
There is also a Boeing Flight Operations Technical Bulletin:
757-69, dated 02-Aug-02.
I have not read these but Boeing states that Analysis and Flight testing shows that you can get this problem with flaps at 30 and large control wheel inputs (approx 40 degrees or more). This can result in unexpeted roll and abrupt control wheel inputs by flight crew to counteract the roll, can cause (PIO).
I have been told its all down to training the crews.

FLCH
23rd May 2005, 17:21
Thanks for the info Mr @ Spotty M, I haven't read the bulletins, or if I had I don't remember them. I'll check them out....