PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm New!

Do3r17
22nd May 2005, 14:40
Just wanted to say "whats up" so people know I exist. I just took my introductory flight yesterday! It was fantastic, I was waiting for that ever since I was 8 (I am now 17). I'm talking with my dad about getting my Private Pilot's Certificate, but he wants to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons. Heres the scenario:

It's like 7,800 USD which he can pay for no problem

He wants to make sure I'm in it for the right reasons. So, I explained to him that its for my career. I want to be a Commercial Airline Pilot. He knows that I wanted to be one for a very long time and that I'm not jumping into this.

The next question he had was, "Why do you want to get it so early?" I simply stated that it's never to early to start and I want to build my hours. I rather get my job as fast as possible.

Now, Im going to college after after next year. (These days, its almost a requirement to have a degree in college to be hired for a major airline). I was thinking of getting my bachelors or associates. I cant quite pick between them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you guys think it might be a little to early to start with my Private Pilot's Certificate? Because once I get that, I can keep moving up on the scale with license, and eventually be a flight insturctor while in college. At least that way, I will be helping to pay for college, and that would be a sweet job. With this, I'm also building flight hours.

Anyon have any pointers on convincing my dad to let me? Tips on how to convice him I want this badly will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Miserlou
22nd May 2005, 15:02
Welcome and great that you want to be a pilot.

Although it's great to have your Dad pay for your PPL, I think you should pay it yourself.

Then when you've struggled and saved and flown and worked hard and saved and flown and eventually end up where you want to be, you'll really appreciate it.

There's nothing worse than young people in the business today whining about pay and conditions and so on, when they've never actually had to get by with a real job.

Good Luck,

PS. My father made me pay, only very occasionally splitting the cost of a flight if it meant I didn't have to wait four months to have enough to do a two hour cross country.

No_Speed_Restriction
22nd May 2005, 15:10
I wish I could of started as early as you want to. I say DO IT!!!!!

Left Wing
22nd May 2005, 16:53
Start ASAP !

Do your college major in aviation related subjects, or best at a college that will get you a degree in aviation.

In todays real world it does not matter who pays for your education, as far as you get it done right and it gets you a great job at the end, hey! gift your dad a nice car once you have that airline job.
Research this web site as much as you can will get lot of good info.:ok: stay focused and fit !

Farrell
22nd May 2005, 22:33
Yeah......go for it!!

In fact.......get your Dad to sign a guarantee with HSBC for 50k and go to the US for a year to somewhere like oh, i dunno, European Flight Training or one of the other JAA schools.

You can do the college thing at night when you get back. If you can do this now.....then do it. Don't procrastinate. Just get going!

PM me if you need further help.

Good luck!

Do3r17
22nd May 2005, 22:39
Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, I just have to keep talking to my dad. He said hes going to think about it today. Were going to talka bout it when he gets back from Chicago. Any yes, I already planned on rewarding him with something. Not necessarily a car (He has nice cars already) but maybe something along the lines of a new 4 wheeler, or a new something. Although he's going to pay for it, I will eventually pay him back when I get older and get that nice airline job.

I know I can pass the physicals, I have great vision, decent hearing (good enough) great physically, everything. So that shoulnd't be a problem.

I know this is what I want. It's just something you know. When you get up there, and your flying, its like nothing else. It's unexplainable! I'm sure you guys know about it.

411A
23rd May 2005, 02:14
He's in Indiana, Farrell, so I don't believe that any JAR flying school will do much good....when he needs an FAA license.:}

Left Wing
23rd May 2005, 02:47
Get a FAA Class 1 medical done before you even talk further to your Dad, do a search in your city for certified doctors. Show the medical to your Dad and let him know how keen you are about this.

To become a pilot, is not an easy road at all, lot of studies all the time, keeping up to date with aviation info world wide etc etc.

http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/careers/105650.html

http://www.aopa.org/

PM me if you need any help at all !

poydras
23rd May 2005, 03:45
IF YOU ARE IN INDIANA CHECK PURDUE UNIVERSITY PROGRAM.

START NOW AND DON' T CHANGE YOUR MIND.

GOOD LUCK

Do3r17
23rd May 2005, 04:21
Heres what happened today. My uncle came over and he stated that he wants to also get a private pilot's license! I said great. Lets go on it together and get a discount. Now, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm not sure If I should get my license to become an instructor and instruct while in college, or go to an aviation college. Anybody got any pointers? And how much is the 1st class medical? What kind of stuff are they going to do?

Farrell
23rd May 2005, 05:36
411A......

Duhhhhh! I must be getting tired.......and old.....didn't see that!

Well, then it's gonna be even cheaper for him I guess! Not to mention that he'll have far more choice!!

And he won't have to queue for hours at an embassy! :O

Left Wing
23rd May 2005, 17:13
Like I said do a internet search, look at the phone book, FAA.gov, walk into a local flt school ask questions there.

Put all your efforts in this. Talk to your techers at school. You have do the work people can only advice you and help you a bit. Medical should not cost you more than $150/

NO ONE WILL HOLD YOUR HAND AND HELP YOU CORSS THE ROAD.

normal_nigel
23rd May 2005, 17:24
Just wanted to say "whats up"

I think you'll find that we speak/write English on this website and not some American skateboarding patois.

Do3r17
23rd May 2005, 22:35
Alright, heres whats going on. Before I let you guys know, I just want to thank you guys for your responses. They really helped tremendously. My uncle and I are going to get are Private Pilot's License. After we accomplished that, my dad and my uncle are going to split in and buy a 4-6 seater airplane (single engine of course). This way, to build flight hours, I wont have to pay the 119/hr to fly. I just pay for gas and storage. I'm so happy. Eventually, I will get my license to instuct. But, I have to take this one step at a time. I will reward my dad someday for taking care of me.

Some of you may say this is like getting a free ride. But, there is no free ride. My dad is not paying for a machine to jam the skills into my brain. No, I have to learn it myself. I have to go to college, I have to instruct (This is where I will be making money to pay for college, my next certificate, etc...). In fact, I will be going to college and instructing at the same time.

You guys dont understand how much this means to me. Without my dad, it would be almost impossible for me to come up with the money (I work at Dairy Queen). I'm definitly not taking this for granted. I feel very blessed about this, and I thank God most of all for providing the money for the family so I can do this.

I was diagnosed with arthiritis 2 years ago. I went a whole year with it. I couldn't take it anymore. I was ready to commit suicide. Arthiritis is one of the worse diseases to get. I had pain almost every day. I could barly walk in school evey day. I had to walk with cruches every day. Every day I would wake up and pray that there would be no pain today.

Well, one year ago I prayed so hard that it would go away. I prayed and prayed till I cried. Ever since then, no pain. Call it a coincidense, call it whatever you want. I call it a mirracle. And I know I never have to worry about it again. I knew that when I had arthiritis like that I would never be able to fly. But now, its gone, and eveything is going right. A lot of it has to do with me providing my 10% to the lord. He provides me with 10X more.

This really means a lot to me. Dont think that I'm taking this for granted. I'm going to work my butt of to get these certificates. You have to be commited, and thats exactly what I'm ready to do.

I just ask that you guys dont say I'm getting a free ride. Theres no such thing as a free ride. I'm learning it myself, and my dad is just paying for the PPL, not everything. My instructing will get me the money.

Just wanted you guys to know how I feel about that. Again, thanks for all the responses. You guys have been a great help. One day, I hope to fly you to your destination in the Boeing 777 (or newly advance model by then) in the captain's seat.

fastjet2k
23rd May 2005, 23:01
Good for you in going for what you want - it's a hard road and it's sure to be a long one, but you're starting out young which can only be good for your long term prospects. All the best of luck to you.

One tip though, while I can't imagine how horrible having arthiritis must be, I would strongly recommend against ever using the word suicide when talking to people connected with aviation and especially when around anybody connected with aviation medicine... even if you're using it as a figure of speech rather than being serious, implying that you've considered it before won't help your chances of passing that all important medical as aviation authorities don't want to take their chances putting somebody with suicidal tendencies into the flight deck. I mean no offence by this and I hope none will be taken.

Finally, it's been mentioned that the use of the English language on this forum isn't quite up to par - last time I checked Pprune was an international website used by international people. I don't think having a qualification in Queen's English is a pre-requisite for joining... (however I'll admit if I see innit written here I might lose all faith!!) ;)

Have a nice day y'all, FJ2k

Milt
24th May 2005, 00:53
Hey Do3r17

To get the most satisfaction out of being a pilot you need to look at it from a different perspective than your posts indicate.

To say you just want a nice airline job is not a good start.

Piloting aircraft is almost the ultimate in being able to attain maximum positive feedback from your skills and physical manipulations of highly complex equipment. The good pilot continues to get great satisfaction out of his ever increasing mental and physical abilities. If he doesn't then he may as well, or should, drive a bus.

Appreciate the exhileration you can enjoy when you become skilful in the three dimensions of flight and the great feelings you get when you feel as one with an aircraft. Consider also the huge responsibilities you adopt as you progress.

That way it becomes fantastic and you will want to keep doing it for ever.

Do3r17
24th May 2005, 02:38
"commit suicide" was a figure of speech, but it was rough. I hope I pass the physical.

Old Smokey
24th May 2005, 06:19
Do3r17,

With an attitude like yours, there's only one place you're going, and that's Up, Up and away! You seem to have the remarkable gift of being able to ignore the negatives, and hold onto the positives, good traits for an industry that can have it's rough moments, but then I forget the rough moments and only remember the good ones which are in abundance.

You mention your Dad's help, the Lord's help, and your Dad's money's help. OK, that's good, but in the end you can only go all the way by helping yourself, I suspect that you will.

Do it NOW! If you want further academic qualifications, that's good too, but after the first years of heavy commitment to aviation study, you'll have ample time on your hands to take your studies further. Getting in young is the biggest favour that you can do for yourself.

This business just gets better and better all of the time, after 40 years the only depressing aspect for me is that in 3 years I'm time expired and can do it no more.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Do3r17
25th May 2005, 04:17
I will get the 1st class medical. Sure it will cost more, but it will also last longer, and will save me money. Oh, and "Old Smokey," thanks for the comments, they really are complimate boosters. They made me feel more confident about my field I chose.

Looklively
25th May 2005, 12:39
Good luck, Aviation is a most rewarding career or hobby.