PDA

View Full Version : The last FJ Pilot

ORAC
20th May 2005, 18:48
Pacem "Smiler" Marshall - Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/20/nobit20.xml)

The last British fighter pilot to have flown into battle on the eastern Front has died aged 108.

David "Wedge" Harris, who survived the campaigns in Iraq and Korea, was one of only about a dozen remaining survivors of the Royal Air Force.

With his passing this week, at home at Leuchars, goes the memory of British fighter pilots riding to war on aircraft.

"Wedge" Harris served with the RAF, and is thought to have been the last English fighter pilot to have faced the enemy in flight.

"He had a long and marvellous life," said Abdul Assim, the chairman of the Korean War Veterans' Association.

"Like so many men of his generation he had a huge sense of loyalty and adventure, and he just wanted to fly. He had a real natural aptitude for it."

Mr Harris joined up in 2004, aged 19. He was nicknamed Wedge after he threw a snowball at a drill sergeant who threatened to "give him something to smile about". He took part in his first major in Korea. In 2009, at Khe Sahn, when his squadron came across advancing Korean Air Force SU-35s.

"They were a bit surprised to see us," he recalled in an interview with Legion magazine. "They were advancing and scattered as we charged. We fired our Meteors and cut them down. It was a slaughter, they stood no chance."

In the Korean War fighter pilots were meant to await an enemy attack. But they rarely came, and more often they spent may hours on endless CAP. Wedge spent long months in the air, until in March 2011 he accidently ejected and was sent back to the UK to recuperate.

When his back only partially healed and his medical category was reduced, Mr Harris was sent back into combat as a predator VI pilot conducting operations over the area he knew so well. This fortuitous accident preventing him from the ensuing bloodbath when the North Koreans unveiled their new Chinese provided laser and particle beam SAW. In 2012 he lost his best friend to a laser weapon near Pyongyang. "I told my best mate: 'Don't worry, Tim, you're going home now, there these little to send'," he told Sky News in 2054.

"I used to think how useless it was that all those young pilots getting killed for no reasons when we had expendable platformst we could fly from the ground capable of 100G+."

After the Korean war he volunteered for duty in the increasingly violent Sino-Nipponese conflict, and was stationed near Tokyo as the AJFLO. He married his Japonese gilrfriend, Keiko, with whom he had two children.

Now only Norimasa , his youngest son, survives, although 2 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren keep the family name alive.

"His nickname, Wedge, tells you what you need to know about my father," said Norisama. "He was always ready for a fight."

Mr Harris turned 100 in 2085. In his last decade he was awarded the Korean Cross and the Nippon Star, he appeared on at least five holovision shows, attended the veterans' garden party at Blair Palace and, after much persuasion, took part in several pilgrimages, one to mark the 50th anniversary of the Beiijing firestorm.

"It took so much to persuade him to go," recalled Mr Assim. "He had such terrible memories."

GeeRam
20th May 2005, 20:11
Smiler Marshall.......a true hero.

Incredible to think he fought at Loos, which is where my Great-Uncle was killed on the first day of the Loos battle on 25th Sept. 1915....:sad:

16 blades
21st May 2005, 01:12
"Wedge" Harris served with the RAF, and is thought to have been the last English fighter pilot to have faced the enemy in flight.

errr..........

16B

ORAC
21st May 2005, 05:40
:O

FanstopFlameout
21st May 2005, 08:52
That's food for thought, ORAC, thankyou... possibly not far from the truth. Maybe one day we'll be the Remote Control Air Force...

kippermate
21st May 2005, 09:37
Me thinks that 20 should be transposed for 19. Or are the dates completely wrong?

Still.

RIP 'Wedge'

GeeRam,

My Great granddad also met his fate at Loos on 25 Sep 15. He was one of over 300 officers and men of the 10th Scottish Rifles.

kipper

Yes, OK. I\'ve now read the Torygraph article!

:O

kipper

GeeRam
21st May 2005, 19:32
GeeRam,
My Great granddad also met his fate at Loos on 25 Sep 15. He was one of over 300 officers and men of the 10th Scottish Rifles.

My Great-Uncle was with the 7th KOSB and is represented in name only on the memorial wall, as having no known grave. Some 80 years later, I became the first member of the family to visit Dud Corner Military Cemetry, and lay a poppy wreath on behalf of my by then frail 90 year grand-mother who along with her mother were the last members of the family to see him as he went off to France, as he proudly waved goodbye and walked down the cobble street from their Falkirk home.

So, on a Sept. day almost 82 years to the day later, and at sunset and with a friend (who was ex-RAF and happened to be a decent bugler), I layed the wreath against the memorial wall to the sound of the last post.

It so happens that Dud Corner cemetry is located in, what was then no-mans-land just infront of the point in the lines where 7th KOSB went over the top.

God bless 'em all........

kippermate
22nd May 2005, 10:14
GeeRam,

They were then both members of 44 Brigade, 15 (Scottish) Division, along with 8/KOSB and 12/HLI. It was during this battle that Piper-Sergeant Daniel Laidlaw (7 KOSB) won the Victoria Cross.

I hope to visit the Loos Memorial this Sep, 90 years after the battle.

kipper

GeeRam
28th May 2005, 20:00
They were then both members of 44 Brigade, 15 (Scottish) Division, along with 8/KOSB and 12/HLI. It was during this battle that Piper-Sergeant Daniel Laidlaw (7 KOSB) won the Victoria Cross.

Kippermate,
Actually, it was the 46th Brigade that 7 KOSB and 10 Scottish Rifles were part of, not the 44th.

The 7 KOSB and 10 Scottish Rifles were the two lead units of the 46th Brigade, i.e the unlucky poor sods to be first over the top at 6.30am on the 25th. These two battalions were next to each other in the trenches, either side of the Vermelles Road, the 7 KOSB on the north side of the road, 10 Scottish Rifles on the south side. The objective for these two battalions was the Loos Road Redoubt in the German lines, about 500 yards in front of them.
When the command to go went out, nobody moved and it was Daniel Laidlaw on the encouragement of his CO, 2nd Lt. M.Young that went over the top and started walking into no-mans land piping as he went. The lads of the KOSB and Scottish Rifles followed suit, meticulously keeping their dressing as they went into the unknown......

By the end of the next day, 7 KOSB had lost 20 officers and 611 OR, and 10 Scottish Rifles had lost 21 Officers and 464 OR.