PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a wannabe

Spektor
20th May 2005, 14:29
Ladies and Gentlemen Cathay Pilots,

1. What does an SO actually do? I know the officil version - the "cruise relief pilot, no takeoffs, no landings" spiel, but what are his/her actual duties? Do they include pre-flight walk around, any paperwork, any kind of performance calculations? Once you settle into that seat, do you do anything other than watching the screens? If they ask me that during my upcoming interview, would be nice to show some real understanding of the position.

2. Captains, First Officers, Second Officers, how do you guys/girls entertain yourselves during these loooong flights? Does Cathay have any company policies on reading, listening to music, watching movies, playing games etc.? Whats allowed, whats not?

Thank you for sharing!

Spektor.

CathayPacific
21st May 2005, 02:32
They are allowed to bring laptops, and, the time isn't passing that slow!

Spektor
22nd May 2005, 01:30
Silberfuchs,

Thank you in advance for your reply - yours are alway the most valuable and informative. Could you also tell me how many pilots are employed by Cathay Pacific at the moment, and what is the expats to locals ratio? I tried doing a search on that, but without much success.

Thanks.

Spektor.

P.S. Suggest chilled Tomato Juice for the "morning after" - I was born in the big country to the North (of China, that is), got a trick or two up my sleeve. Of course, you may already know that one...

Medwin
22nd May 2005, 12:54
Spektor,

I was asked exactly the same question on my initial interview about SO duty and I gave him the simpliest answer (cruise relief pilot) and the HR man was pretty happy about that.

Medwin

Spektor
23rd May 2005, 00:27
Mr. Siberfuchs,

As always, a great answer. I couldn't hope for a better one - thank you, Sir.

Medwin,

Thanks for the tip - it is rare to get an interview question, answer and the interviewers reaction. If only all gouge was written that way! I just hope I get the same HR guy you had.

:ok:

Spektor

Colonel W E Kurtz
24th May 2005, 04:33
Silberfuchs forgot a few things the SO's job entails.

1. Make the beds. We have blankets and sheets now.

2. Get the plastic bag and hang it on the FO's chair after tying the cathay knot on one side.

3. Eat the entire tray of sandwiches without offering them to anyone else. I believe it is a requirement to be able to eat the entire tray unaided before takeoff to be elligable for Junior First Officer Upgrade.

4. Eat the entire packet of cashew nuts also.

5. Add up all the times in the flight log before top of climb (about seven-nine pages of legs) to get the ETA.

6. Go to sleep in the bunks for six hours

7. Wake up and eat for six hours.

8. Watch the landing- the best bit!:D

Spektor
24th May 2005, 14:27
Colonel ,
Mr. Silberfuchs,

Thanks!;)

Its all in the details. Really, they should put these things on the application form. If they (Flight Crew Recruitment) only knew how much experience I have tying knots and hanging up plastic bags on the FO's seat - the FO always forgets! - they would wave my Sim Ride! Cashew nuts - my favorite, I live off that stuff! Bring on at least two bags! And I am not even going into sleeping first, than watching landings thing - countless! Of course, I am also an expert on adding up leg times while eating sandwiches...

Ahhh... the warm feeling of belonging. Hopefully, they will let me help you guys out with the chores soon.

Spektor.

NorthGuy
24th May 2005, 15:45
As an FO on the B727, I always tell people I am between jobs :O

ameasham
24th May 2005, 18:32
Hi Spek. Tis has nothing whatsoever to do with your post but wanted to say Hi. Also a big thank you to all those current Cathay pilots that take the time to answer questions, and provide relief to us lowly wanabeees! Study hard Mr. Spek "live long and prosper"

Spektor
24th May 2005, 23:14
ameasham,

Thanks for looking me up buddy! I am hard at it as, I am sure, are you. :8 Make it so, Number One!

Spektor.