PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Phone Socket Help

Monocock
20th May 2005, 11:01
Please help...

I am off to Ibiza and need to find out what kind of phone sockets they have to enable me to collect emails from my laptop.

Is there an adaptor I need or do they use the same shape that is in the side of my laptop?

Thanks

cuthbeg
20th May 2005, 11:07
As far as I remember you dont need an adapter, all you do is take the BT adapter off the end of the cable and put the modem cable into the socket.

ORAC
20th May 2005, 11:09
The Spanish use a RJ11 as fitted to the PC end of the lead. If you use a double ended one with a UK adaptor, just take it off.

Monocock
20th May 2005, 16:38
Thanks chaps!
Very useful

FJJP
21st May 2005, 09:17
I've never used a pc/laptop overseas. Just curious - are computer/modem/network/etc connections standard worldwide?

Gertrude the Wombat
21st May 2005, 17:05
Network connections are standard worldwide, if by "network" you mean plugging in an ethernet Cat5 cable.

Phone sockets vary considerable. There's a company whose name I forget who sells individual adapters, and quite comprehensive kits for travelling salesmen etc.

Less trouble, but often considerably more expensive, might be simply to connect your mobile phone to your laptop and make international calls back to your UK ISP - this will work in most places except the USA (unless you get a tri-band phone).

Memetic
23rd May 2005, 20:02
It's teleadapt I think. Not cheap but they do offer advice to rather than just a bag of bits.

It can sometimes be cheaper to buy a local pay as you go phone or sim card that can do GPRS and use IRDA or Bluetooth than use a hotel phone.