PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Help - PLEASE READ!!

Currybeast2004
20th May 2005, 08:42
Hi,

I was on an ATPL course with a VERY well know training organisation between April 2001 and February 2003. Why so long I hear you cry!!

Well, there were issues over aircraft availability when completing the first stage of flight training, which effectively meant I had to return to the US to finish this phase of training, and when I returned to the UK, to continue my studies, I was effectively shunnned by the training staff (apart from ONE FANTASTIC member of staff (he knows who he is!!)), and basically averaged only one hours flying per week for 25 weeks!!

In the end, I was asked to leave as they felt I would not pass my IR, with just 6.5 hours of the syllabus remaining!!

My arguement was IF I had continuity, this would not have happened.

What I am looking for is advice on a whole range of subjects, namely:-

1) I have been given dispensation from the CAA (they were VERY sympathetic to my plight), and now have up until January 2006 to finish my course (they extended the time by two yeras!!) Has anybody else had this, and do you know if they will grant another extension to this? I am not sure I can raise the funding to finish my course in time. I am about to loose my house also due to the massive extra debt I had when the course over ran.

2) My plan is to do a complete Instrumant Rating somewhere and hopefully complete the course. I believe I will have to transfer to the modular route. Do you STILL have to do your Instrument Rating in the country that is issuing you with your ATPL (i.e. the UK?). Could I, for instance, do it at an accredited school in the US or Spain?

3) Has ANYBODY had experience of taking flight schools to court for breach of contract. I WAS doing so until my flying school issued a tissue of lies to a claim made of them. I then lost my legal support and would have needed at least £5000 to take it to court, which I could not afford. I was so desperate I even thought about a no win no fee solicitor!!

4) I have not converted ANY part of my training into any gained ratings. Should I do this?

Thanks for reading this post, I appreciate it.

Some of you out there will know me, so HI!!

Thanks for your help,

Currybeast2004

silverknapper
20th May 2005, 09:17
Ouch!
Don't know if this will help but will have a go:
1. I would ask the CAA now, don't wait until it's too late. And don't rely on other peoples experience, every case is different. Get it from the horses mouth.
2. As far as I know a JAA country is acceptable. A lot of people go to Spain now, somewhere in Malaga I think. A quick search should find it. The US is OK too, but the min 15 hrs flying must be done here.
3. Difficult, though not impossible. This guy did (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137092) and was successful. Tough one to answer without seeing it all set out. Don't suppose you joined BALPA before it all happened?
4. I have no idea about converting integrated to modular ratings. But if you can then without a doubt do it now! Then you'll have something to show for it all. And if you have CPL you can at least instruct.

Good to hear the CAA were good to you.
What school was it? I don't see any reason not to say, they have shafted you so it may help other people avoid them. Also plenty people here will recommend good places to go so it helps to hear of bad places too.

Currybeast2004
20th May 2005, 09:52
Many Many thanks for your advice.

I was in BALPA, but they did not want to know, because the recently appointed (at THAT time) Chief Flying Instructor, was the area representative!!

The school was OXFORD!!

silverknapper
20th May 2005, 10:55
Again not an expert, but BALP should cover you, if you not happy with your area rep, get someone else. I thought this was the big reason to join them as a student.