PDA

View Full Version : Howard Huges H1 Replica Crash

pall
20th May 2005, 06:29
I have read about the crash of the Jim Wright H1 replica crash in 2003 (August 4).

Does anyone know what the cause of this crash was?

Crashed in Yellowstone National Park? Seems odd. How did it happen?

I assume there was a highly developed engine in such an aircraft. Pratt & Witney radial I think. Plenty og HP but at what cost to longevity? Am I on the right track?

Crashed on return from 2003 Oshkosh.

Any further info would be appreciated.

tinpis
20th May 2005, 07:23
:} They get Google in Geelong? :}

Wright H-1 crash blamed on mechanical failure

Meg Godlewski

5/6/2005

The malfunction of propeller counterweights is blamed for the crash of the Wright Hughes H-1B. The airplane, a reproduction of the sleek Howard Hughes racer, was built by a team of mechanics under the guidance of tool manufacturer Jim Wright from Cottage Grove, Ore. The airplane crashed Aug. 4, 2003, while en route from EAA AirVenture to Wright's home. The H-1B, which had been on exhibit at the event, was built with the intent of reenacting Hughes' speed trials from the 1930s.

According to a report from the National Transportation Safety Board, the loss of a counterweight in flight caused one blade of the highly modified Hamilton Standard 12D40 hub propeller to achieve low pitch while the other blade maintained high pitch. Witnesses who saw Wright during his last fuel stop in Gillette, Wyo., told investigators that he took off, then returned to the airport because the propeller was stuck in the high rpm position. Wright commented that the controllable pitch propeller was not working correctly and attempted to make repairs.

Wright was killed when he lost control of the aircraft while attempting to make an emergency landing in Yellowstone National Park near Midway Geyser. Witnesses to the crash stated that it appeared Wright was attempting to land on a footpath but veered off at the last second when he saw people below him.

On Dec. 17, 2003, the Oregon Department of Aviation honored Wright by rededicating his home airport, Cottage Grove State Airport (61S), as Jim Wright Field.

pall
23rd May 2005, 23:00
TINPIS, thank you for your detailed response to my posting.

I have read and searched a range of sources but your response gave me the detailed information I was looking for.

It is always very sad when someone looses their life as part of their committment to aviation.

I have survived a light aircraft crash as PIC and can appreciate the gravity of these situations.

Again, thanks for your help.

mattathm
12th Jun 2005, 10:36
Yes it happened on his flight home from Oskosh. I was there. I saw the plane, It was a awesum feat to make... there is a writeup in one of the sport aviation mags from eaa and to see it you close and meet the man behind it was truely remarkable.
RIP.

pall
12th Jun 2005, 23:44
Thanks for your post. Since starting this topic I have done a lot more reading on the net. This was truly an amazing story.

Jim Wright and his team are inspiring. I am sure he will be sadly missed. It must leave a large void for those who worked with him and loved him.

barit1
2nd Jul 2005, 01:40
NTSB report (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20030815X01342&key=1)

pall
4th Jul 2005, 05:05
Thanks for the report link. Helps to fill out the gaps in my understanding.:ok: