PDA

View Full Version : Travel benifits at Cathay

VOBG Direct
20th May 2005, 00:54
can anyone provide info on travel benifits as cathay pilot. I know of the ones with cathay itself. wondering if pilots are allowed ID90's or something of that sort with the one world alliance...
Also how much do you pay for a ticket on Cathay average .. 30 % -20% ??

Thanks in advance.
VOBG

cpdude
22nd May 2005, 15:02
All ID90's are not the same. With CX, we pay 10% of the HIGHEST full fare price in the system unlike some airlines that can ID90 lower rates. On some flights with some airlines you can actually buy a discount ticket for only a couple of dollars more than the cost of our ID90.:(

spannersatcx
22nd May 2005, 16:02
Under IATA rules if you have ID travel benefits in the airline you are working for now and you join another airline (with a break of less than 3 months) then you are still entitled to those same ID benefits (interline travel not freebies or co specific ones), there is a form but I can't for the life of me remember what it is, sorry.

Captain Over
22nd May 2005, 19:47
G'day spanners.

For the life of everyone involved, please find that missing form!! The waiting period when moving from one airline to another is a royal pain - it would be GREAT if what you say is available.

C.O.

BlueEagle
22nd May 2005, 23:05
Is that an IATA RULE Spanners or an IATA SUGGESTION towards standardisation. Some airlines are only partial signatories to IATA and it may not include them?

To be honest I've never heard of any such agreement/rule etc. before.

spannersatcx
23rd May 2005, 13:14
When I was in SPL a chap joined CX from BA and he used said form to get ID travel from SPL to LHR, trouble is it was a few years ago and a few cells have gone since then. I'll try and find out and get back to you.

apu hunter
2nd Jun 2005, 00:18
Hi guys,

Here's some clarification about this:

1. There's no cheaper or more expensive ID90 system. ID90 is the same everywhere. It is always 10% (or 90% discount) of the so-called YY fare (the highest one). All the airlines that are a part of this system are subject to these same rules. The same applies to ID 75, 50 and so on. Under ID50 (50% discount) there is usually the possibility of placing a firm reservation for a seat, although this doesn't mean much as overbooking is common and if the flight is overbooked, you get bumped anyways.

2. What happens now is that some airlines (lots of them actually) joined the new ZED (zonal employee discount) system which differs a lot from the old interline (ID) and, depending on the route, is usually much better for the employees (I am not sure, but I believe CX is in the ZED system)

3. Both Interline and ZED systems are based on reciprocity agreements between the airlines and some airlines impose some restrictions (which are also reciprocal) to the beneficiaries (relatives), routes, quantities or fare (the ZED system has 3 fare categories - high, medium, low). ZED is very extensive and does not depend only on the alliances, as different companies from different alliance groups are part of it.

4. It is right to say that there's no IATA form or rule for this, as IATA, like ICAO, issues only "standard procedures" and "recommended practices" that may or may not be adopted by the companies (of course, this has political and economical implications between the airlines).

5. But some (actually, a few) airlines do sell "over the counter" standby (ID) tickets for other airlines' employees. Some require just your airline ID to be presented, but others require a letter from your airline stating such request which might or might not be granted, as in this case there's obviously no previous agreement.

Hope this info might be useful.

Apu Hunter