PDA

View Full Version : Roll & pitch rates

XPMorten
19th May 2005, 14:34
Hi all,

I'm doing a 737NG for the X-Plane flight simulator and
have a question that I havn't found any good information on.

Does anyone know in what region roll & pitch rate
would be in degrees/sec when handflying an acf in this category?

I'm aware that pitch is limited by the max G-load of 2.5 G's, but what would e.g the max or "normal" pitch rate
be at the flare?

What kind of roll rate would you get with full deflection of spoilers and ailerons?

Any idea? This would help me get the "feel"
of the acf better.

Cheers,

Morten

Milt
20th May 2005, 00:09
XpMorten

Too many inponderables in your question.

But you must know that at the flair you will be a tab above the stall and the 2.5 g limit will be absolutely unattainable.

Also the c of g will be the determinant of the elevator power available to give you a pitch rate.

My guess of an average max rate pitch at the flare would be about 10 degrees/second but this would likely take you through stall warning to a stall.

Rainboe
20th May 2005, 08:53
Pilots don't know what the roll capabilities of their aeroplanes are- with zero flight time simulators all the rage, most never have to fly the aeroplane without passengers anymore. It may be shocking but true- the first time you fly your type will be on passenger service with a trainer supervising. Certainly passengers don't like roll rates of 30 degrees/second or whatever they can produce- in 34 years of flying jets or turboprops I never had an idea of what the max figure was, but knew it was pretty good for the size aircraft I was flying.
IMO flaring is much, much less than 10 degrees second. I would say it was anything from zero (hard landing!) to about 1 degree second. On jets a flare to just a couple of degrees should put you down nicely. You have only been flying a 3 degree glideslope, so about a 3 degree flare will put you horizontal. Add in ground effect and slowing up a bit- all is needed is a little flare done gently.

XPMorten
20th May 2005, 15:22

Had a long discussion with an experienced captain, and we came to the conclusion that on e.g rotate
at average weight & CG, the max pitch rate would be around 7-8 deg/s (desregard tailstrike). Normal rotate rate is around 3 deg/s on a 757.

for the roll its a bit more unsure since you pilots
only use max deflection only a split second at a time. His guess here is about 10 deg/s for max -
maybe higher (757).
It also depends alot on the acf it seems. The MD80 eg is alot slower.

Tricky one...:suspect:

Cheers,

M

MrBernoulli
21st May 2005, 19:23
XPMorten

Just remember that the question you asked is not as simple as you think. The 'imponderables' alluded to by Milt include the fact that roll/pitch rate will vary with both speed AND control surface deflection. And we haven't even started on damping and the effects of altitude ..........