PDA

View Full Version : FMS2 on the new A320's

A330AV8R
17th May 2005, 20:51
Anyone worked on the new FMS 2 on Airbus A320 aircraft ? do shed some light as to what the major changes from FMS 1 are ..... !

cheers

togaroo
17th May 2005, 22:06
Its much improved on FMS1, loading a route is very easy using the Airways page, just plug in the airway and it auto synchs the intersections. Can get abeam waypoints or radials for fuel checks etc. Closest airports. Separate wind page so that you can put in different level winds for better predictions. In all its an improved bit of kit. enjoy your fingerpoking!!!

Knackered Nigel
17th May 2005, 22:25
One step forward...... twice as many keypad presses to change anything, severe reset failure modes, but gives you abeams. Also don't get ILS DME if biased to zero, so have to use up a VOR entry to show ILS DME.

Apart from that it's fine.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
18th May 2005, 00:17
Nigel

What do you mean by 'don't get ILS-DME if biased to zero'? I use FMGC2 every day and I have never come across this. Please explain. Cheers.

TopBunk
18th May 2005, 06:36
NSF

Take LHR as an example. The 27R/09L ILS ILS have a common frequency and paired DME. The DME is biased to read 0.0 at the landing threshold - the actual DME is at the midpoint of the runway. The 0.0 reading is achieved by biasing the DME by a few micro seconds or whatever. FMS 2 does not display the DME in the usual position on the PFD, you have to tune the frequency manually in the radnav page.

In general, FMS2 doesn't do much for the pilot, still no fix page as per Boeing etc, lots of extra keystrokes and they've moved the '/' key which gets you often!

idg
18th May 2005, 07:36
TB,
Sorry what does 'Fix Page' give you on the Boeing?

Kruntip
18th May 2005, 08:12
Not mentioned so far but FMS2 also has the following:

Option to display ETP on route of any two chosen airports;

Vr bug on the PFD;

Allows you to see TCAS targets on all ND scales; and

Step climbs (can't remember if the FMS1 had that).

I'm sure there's more.

Some FMS2 upgraded aircraft have an increased Recommended Max alt increased from FL390 approx to FL398, which allows the A320 to operate at FL 12,000m metric level (FL394).

Max Angle
18th May 2005, 08:31
We have FMS2 on our 319's but not 320 and 321's and I really like it, a few more finger presses to get some things done but a bigger LCD screen and a lot of usefull stuff make it a big improvement on the old one. Airbus say that almost all of the problems (ILS/DME, abeam waypoint problems, no waypoint mod. once in LOC mode etc, etc.) will be sorted in the next software update and it will then be almost as good as the one I used on the 737!.

oki
18th May 2005, 19:18
FMS 2 is awful and I'm amazed that it was approved/certified for use in its current state. It is bug-ridden - see your FM for a list of them - and it achieves virtually nothing more than the old FMS 1. I'm told we HAD to incorporate it into our fleet as FMS 1 was no longer to be supported, being the equivalent of Windows 3.1 technology, and as for 'software upgrades' to eradicate the problems/shortcomings, don't hold your breath......we've been waiting over a year and they ain't here yet.

TopBunk
18th May 2005, 20:36
idg

The Fix pages allow (amongst other things):

An altitude (which is then displayed on the Nav display - eg MSA)
A Time in Z (can be used to tell you when you get to go to the bunk!!)
On remote operations allows you to draw rings around 2 airports for Situational Awareness
Plot abeam points from off route waypoints for atc purposes etc
I'm sure that others can think of more

idg
18th May 2005, 22:45
TB,
Thanks...sounds useful.

Cropduster
19th May 2005, 05:34
If you are running late and flying a simple route, FMS1 requires less programming and has less potential for subtle imbedded bugs to cause problems. If you are flying a more complex route where ETP, nearest airport, multiple directs, etc are of more importance, the FMS2 is more capable. To complicate matters, some of our aircraft have a hybrid version (FMS 1 1/2?) that incorporates most of the benefits of FMS2 with the simplicity of FMS1. Of course it is only 4 airframes and no longer supported! Cheers Cropduster.

FlightDetent
19th May 2005, 08:49
Also the "time" pseudo waypoints, abeam points, radial in / out functionm can do arc legs.... Especially the Rad in is good for sequencing WPTS. Nice. The 737 had these, M/FTD had these, S23 and S31 in TLS had these, only the real aircraft is FMS1 :{

There's a couple of 321 one of which is being flown here tomorrow (ex-Air Canada). Any of you know what would be the software on those? Altough provided they're manufactured in '97, I expect no miracle.

FD (the un-real)

A330AV8R
20th May 2005, 06:03
sounds like a whole lotta extra fingering if you ask me ... I remember one Airbus examiner I flew with told me the less you finger the bugger the better life is . . . . . and after having my share of pulling HDG mode a number of times to save the day I reckon I agree with him !

air