PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Selection Process

malonep
17th May 2005, 11:34
Hi guys,

I am starting the Oxford Selection process soon.

Can anyone give me advice on the depth of maths and physics that I should know?

Also what aviation knowledge is required as I am a beginner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oxford blue
17th May 2005, 13:59
OAT don't give out too much detail of their tests but only because they don't want people boning up the 'known' questions, but the topics you need to know in order to enter ATPL training are at about the following level.

For the Maths, you need to be quick and proficient at elementary mental arithmetic - adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing - without a calculator - quickly and accurately.
You need to be able to re-arrange elementary algebra - ie, "make 'x' the subject of the following equation" when it is set out as 'y' = something.
And you need to understand sine, cosine, and tangent.
It really doesn't need to be any deeper than that. No calculus. No hyperbolic functions.

Physics is pretty much the same level. Ohm's Law. Kirchoff's Law. Wheatstone's Bridge. Basic Electricity, Heat, and Light. Elementary Work and Energy. Resolution of several forces pulling in different directions. The Gas Laws - relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature. Reading graphs. Interpolating between columns and rows from tabulated information.

That's about it.

So you can expect OAT's entrance tests to check your proficiency at about that level.

And no previous aviation knowledge at all is required. Just general problem-solving ability.

dlav
17th May 2005, 19:58
malonep, When you heading for selection? Ive got mine 31st may- 2 June.

Getting abit nervous about it actually, especially the maths algebra.

Dave

malonep
18th May 2005, 11:53
Thanks for the help guys.

Heading for selection in late July so have time to brush up on thast stuff surely.:D

ollycopter
18th May 2005, 12:01
Guys the tests are really not a huge deal. The stuff is pretty straight forward. Oh and feedback is very good before the JAAs.:O You need to know naff all about aviation in general when you get there. I knew a guy that passed all his exams having never touched a plane and then got vertigo the second he flew. Took him a good 10 hours to become use to it. Is flying citations in the U.S now. Good luck, the course is tough but everyone passes in the end and you make a good set of friends.

malonep
19th May 2005, 10:35
Thanks Ollcopter.

It's just that I am in law and have not reviewed my physics or maths for 7 or 8 years which worries me a bit.

I am atending the open day on Saturday and am looking forward to it.

Malonep.