PDA

View Full Version : RAF flies squaddie hom to see dying mum

Navaleye
16th May 2005, 23:37
I read today that the RAF (and the army) went out of its way to fly a squaddie home from Iraq to see his dying mum before she passed away. Well done all of you. Its good to see that such compassion and thought still exists. I'm sure our all thoughts are with the family of the chap concerned. Good work.

Neeps
17th May 2005, 00:47
Full story here:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4561969

C130 Techie
17th May 2005, 06:34
Thankfully it appears to be one of the things that we can still do well.

The Herc, and occasionally the VC10 on the 1312 Flt Det at MPA is regularly used for this purpose, taking compassionate cases to an international airport for onward transport.

Sometimes its comforting to know that the system can work.:ok:

vortexadminman
17th May 2005, 07:57
What navy bloke?? am sure your lot have Comp A cover as well. In fact I know you do. One of the last remaining things we have left that still works well. I know that out there in the emerald isle a certain little plank flight cover it 24/7 and do a great job of getting people back in rapid time. Because a couple of years ago they got myself back "just in nick of time"
Cheers !!

SirToppamHat
17th May 2005, 08:33
This is something called a 'Compassionate Case', and it happens quite frequently as indicated by C130 Techie above.

There are different categories according to the reason for repatriation, with A being the most serious and I think it goes down to C.

I myself have been the beneficiaryas a Category B, and I was extremely grateful for the help I received getting back from the Falklands. Within 8 minutes of the door of the ac opening at Brize, I was being driven up the road towards Norwich by a nice man from my home unit. I was collected by a Mover and first off the plane, taken to the terminal and told to stand in a specific place for my bag to be brought to me. Sure enough it arrived about 2 minutes later, and I walked through a door to find my driver waiting for me.

Only a tiny fraction of them get into the papers, perhaps because the people who benefit don't necessarily want the publicity (as it should be).

I believe this type of repatriation is common across all the 3 Services, though I will stand to be corrected.

Wycombe
17th May 2005, 10:09
All the stops are pulled out for Comp A's.

I was once northbound from MPA on Timmy, when she was turned around to go back for one.

Of course, no-one on board batted an eyelid. We were on our way again within a couple of hrs.

Wizzard
17th May 2005, 11:32
Two stories spring to mind, one personal and the other apocryphal.

I was on exercise on the IGB when my brother was taken dangerously ill. My brother in law, a nice but clueless civvy was given the job of contacting me - we're talking 1980 here - no cell 'phones. All he had was my regimental number and my unit so he calls the MP's in Aldershot at about 1200 on a Saturday afternoon, why Aldershot? - "Home of the British Army" I suppose. By 1400 I was in a Gazelle on my way to Dusseldorf Airport.

The second tale relates to one of the Toms in 1 PARA in Berlin. He hatched a plan with his girlfriend back in the 'Shot whereby she would send him a message that his mum was dying in hospital and he was required at her bedside. Good plan and it seemed to be working as the wheels went into motion, what he didn't realise though is that they check out both ends of the message while they plan for the worst and as he had one leg over the cockpit of a Lightning trainer - this was a while ago - the MP's grabbed him by the collar and he was well and truly lifted!

'CLANG' - watch yer fingers!

teeteringhead
17th May 2005, 12:00
And it's something the services do (did?) very very well. One of my most satisfying and fulfilling (non-flying!) jobs was doing the DPO (Duty Personnel Officer) out of hours duty whilst a deskie at Barnwood/Innsworth.

Known amongst the aircrew deskies as the "Dead Grannie Patrol", we all had outrageous tales to tell of DPO duties - getting police to break into Mum's house to get Passport and meet at a M-way service station is one that comes to mind....dispatching a Staish to NOK address (this is as a sqn ldr) to discover Mum has moved (in with new boyfriend) ... Staish discovers new address and does the deed anyway, and boyfriend gets to accommpany Mum at public expense.

Always told then by the wheels - "Do it at the time and we'll discuss it in the morning, if you thought it was right there's no comeback"- civil flights etc etc, turning back Timmy (already mentioned) and enormous help from the (civvy) plods.

I think it's all gone joint now :( , but hope it still works......

BEagle
17th May 2005, 12:03
Have put pedal-to-the-metal in the Vickers FunBus bringing Comp A folk back from Akrotiri a few times - on a couple of occasions the steps came in as soon as we'd stopped having used full reverse and exited at Taxiway 4N (to hell with the noise NIMBYs!) and the bod was off across the tarmac to the 125 which started up as soon as they saw him coming. 125 airborne before we'd finished the shut down and paperwork.....

That's when the team works!

SVK
17th May 2005, 14:13
Did one some months back. Into LHR, we were told by ATC, "Any speed, any approach, any runway."

Car was waiting on the taxiway, dropped off the Comp A, backtracked and departed dct to home.

Its refreshing to see that there is something that we still do well, without negotiation or compromise. I'd like to think that if I ever needed it then the system would be willing to do the same for me.

callsign Metman
17th May 2005, 14:42
Witnessed a couple in my times at MPA.

1) Squaddie based on South Georgia needed to get home ASAP. No airfield there of course so resident frigate is dispatched at full speed to collect said individual. When they are within helo range of MPA on the return the individual was airlifted to waiting tristar for UK. Slick !!

2) Girl at MPA had to get back to UK to see dying father. C130 left MPA at around 0300 for Rio. Young lady caught morning flight to UK. Concorde, the rumour goes, was the transport.

CM

Ginger Beer
17th May 2005, 14:46
It is THE only thing that we do well !!!

I've been around the bazaars a while and even though, thanks to the current climate, I am seeking a career change, the thing I will remember most about my time in blue is that when the preverbial hits the fan, I can rest assured that I will get where I need to be ASAP.

I actually brought a Comp A back from BSR last night too.

I have been on the receiving end of the mighty blue comp machine and as I say, it is uncompromising, no cost spared.

As for the rest of it, it sucks but, when I'm in sh!t$ville I know that I can get home ASAP if required, and that is worth a fortune.

Ginge

bluetail
17th May 2005, 17:48
Got to agree with all the above,

I recall 1996 in MPA, we were asked to carry out a CAT A task as the duty Herc was bust so, the request went to the Kipper Mates, who were holding SAR due to broke Herc.

Round up the team

Launch one Nimrod within an Hour direct to Rio, spare Crew Chief on board plus any sober groundies we could muster and PAX. Most pissed i,ve ever been on the wire but not a peep from the loadies

We subsequently got one the our det (we had a spare), and got the Nimrod back about a week later, (winds at MPA) no fuss no bother everyone pitched in.

When it works, its awesome

ZH875
17th May 2005, 18:08
Many was the time that J line had to prepare a Comp case airframe, within a very short timescale, no airframe suitable (serviceable), much graft carried out, airframe generated and tech ready, only for the requirement to be stood down. This happened on a regular basis.

How the guys always managed it, is unbelievable.

How they accepted that it may not be needed, was unbelievable as well, but did they moan, NEVER, did they shirk thinking that it will be cancelled before they have put in a lot of effort, NEVER.

They remain one of the best TEAMS that I have worked with. And before anyone tries to turn this into J v K, I have no doubt that K line had exactly the same standards, if not fewer available frames.

To all the guys and gals who prep and fly the comp aircraft (whatever the type) and for those who plan the whole thing, thanks for a 100% effort all of the time. I am sure that the Comp Pax appreciate it, but probably have other things on their minds to mention it at the time.

PlasticCabDriver
17th May 2005, 18:32
ISTR a National Standby Puma callout on Christmas Day to go get a soldier(?) from an airport somewhere (probably in London), and take him to Scotland. The whole world pitched in, not a whinge from anyone, even the duty TSW crew at Stafford didn't seem to mind standing to for a couple of refuels on Christmas night.

It's about the last thing we can still do really well.

EESDL
17th May 2005, 19:19
Comp A callout May 24 1992 to get Squaddie to dying Dad, Aldergrove to Heathrow, Decca for NAV, NVGs low-level over the Irish Sea, HF fire, refuel at Valley, gogs through Snowdonia with lightening to boot. Refuel at Lyneham, sun now rising, lifted, headed East and cleared direct approach to 09L where he was met by the police.
Excellent system when it works.

Don't get me wrong folks, a Wessex wasn't the first option but it was the only aircraft flying that particular Bank Hol weekend!!!

Bartie, you still in?

Mr C Hinecap
17th May 2005, 20:13
What makes us feel so good about it is we are doing it for 'us' - for the little man or woman who needs our expert assistance at exactly that time in exactly that place. Regardless of rank, stature, position, time served, colour of skin or uniform it is probably the last vestige of us 'looking after our own'.

The guys in the Comp Cell do a great job - BUT - they can't fail to do a great job! Pretty much every single member of the Mob will respond with their best when that call comes. I am not belittling that job - just giving the rest of MOD PLC a massive thumb's up for making me feel humble every time I've been involved in a Comp PAX. I know I still believe in people and sometimes I have been tested by them - drunk driving, getting the locals 'great with child', etc etc. However, when I have done my utmost to do my tiny part in a Comp epic journey and, a month later, some face comes out of a crowd going back to the nasty end, and they thank you for your part in getting then back to (select relative/incident) and how it is so much better for them - then the rest of you put my faith back into it tenfold and I thank you all for that. The look of wonderment on Gunner Blogg's face when he tells you Admiral X gave him a lift home in his helo just does it.

Perhaps a tad emotional but it always hits the spot when I sit back and see it happen. I have seen other nations (perhaps individuals in those nations) not do this and it further reinforces how close we really are as a military to stand this close together. We are all great and again - thanks - for upholding this massive strength we really do own ourselves with one share each.

Betterer.

Ali Barber
17th May 2005, 21:03
My wife was hauled back to the UK but didn't quite make it in time. Not for the want of everyone trying. Including the travel agent woken at 2am to arrange the civil portion of the flight, the guy at heathrow with mobile phone and car. Truly outstanding.

Also saw it happen on exercise at thumrait in Southern Oman. Couldn't get the guy on a civil flight from Salalah to Muscat until the next day. The Omanis stepped up and had him in the back of one of their Jaguars pronto. Climbed out of Jag and into waiting civilian flight (held for him I believe) and made it in time.

The guys who organise all of this are unsung heroes and deserve all the praise we can give them.

The Real Slim Shady
17th May 2005, 21:04
Sent the C130 from MPA to Santiago and Rio in one 7 day period.

Choice of destination was simple: while the boys were getting their nightstop kit together we checked the MARRs and found the first onward connection we could get back to UK.

Never asked to justify it.

What Limits
17th May 2005, 21:47
Did a Comp A in an Islander from Aldergrove to Hannover not so long ago - four hours downwind - two and a half days to get back! Oooh that hurt!

Comp A is the only thing in the MOD that works!

EESDL - why wasn't the Islander flying that night? Weather too bad?

Guy Willesley
17th May 2005, 22:50
I've been on both sides of it - more than once pulling out all the stops to get someone home and then as the passenger desperate to get to the other end.

As a crew, requesting short-cut after short-cut to get someone home, we were once cleared direct across France from one FIR boundary to the other while the French ATCers moved everyone else out of our way. The airfield nearest to where our passenger was going in UK stayed open just for us. I doubt he ever knew the efforts that had been made to get him home as fast as possible, he had other things on his mind.

On the other side I was on Op in Thumrait when I received a 'call' from home. The in-theatre 125 stood-to, started as soon as I stepped on board, took me to Muscat where a chap from the Embassy walked me through the departure procedure (I had no entry visa from the civvie side) until I went through into departures and joined a BA flight to Heathrow. At the other end a driver from home-base met me and asked if I'd like to go to the base and collect my car or straight home. I went straight home. After receiving the call at 4pm UK time in Thumrait I walked into my living room at 6.30am the next morning. I cannot express how grateful I still am for the 'service'.

From both sides, we do the comp case very well. The reassurance that gives when serving away from home is immeasurable.

4fitter
18th May 2005, 07:35
Been involved on both sides.
I was woken by my boss and given the bad news. Before this, however, car had been prepared, money was had and I just got dressed took envelope with money and sped to Frankfurt and great speed. Lufthansa held ac to LHR for me and as soon as I parked my bum on a spare crew seat we were off. Straight through customs, car waiting and I was at my brothers bedside in time to say my last goodbye. Subsequently, my brothers staish lent me his car and driver for personal admin.
Wake up call to bedside about 5 hrs. After 25 years I am still grateful.

deltahotel
18th May 2005, 13:16
....and that's how it should be. Xmas Eve, AKRO to LYE told of Comp A to Lye. "Where's his family?" said I. "Germany" said AKRO. "Ring Gotersloh - we'll drop him off there" said I. "They'll be closed". "Bet they stay open - just try" said I - and they did and we watched the soldier get off the aircraft straight into the car. Probably the most rewarding thing i did in 20 yrs!

EESDL
18th May 2005, 15:58
What Limits
I believe it was even too bad for the Islan-Dare!!
BA and Brit Mid were not flying at that silly time, Puma was 'tech', no Chinook, Lynx or screaming sperm......finally, duty auth came to the 813 crew who had been sitting in the corner of flight planning room drinking heaps of coffee (Red Bull wasn't invented then) and gave them the Rescue 140 callsign to do with it what we may. Engineers bolted in the HF set for comms and waved us on our way...................
Now that was why I enjoy helicopters.

steffi
18th May 2005, 17:40
I have just read all the interesting notes on this page and would like to add my sincere gratitude to the guys and girls who pulled out all the stops to get me home after a serious RTA on exercise in poland. It was wonderful to see a familiar airframe, and even though I had just been jabbed with my latest dose of morphine, I was still able to recognise the friendly, proffessional crew and breath a sigh of relief that I knew I was in safe hands! Thanks again to everyone-it was very much appreciated. Unfortunately, I didn't recover well enough to continue serving, but I enjoyed the time I did serve- well done everyone!

exleckie
18th May 2005, 19:38
Whist on det at Leuchars (TLT) in 98, my estranged wife made a call to my Squadron to say my son had been hospitalised and wasn't sure of how serious it was because the doctors wouldn't say.

The Lineys prepped a tonka, one of the Navs and a Pilot plotted a flight plan to Lyneham,
spoke to the relevant Opsies and a sortie was happening within 45 minutes of the call. Strapped into the back seat and was flown straight into Lyneham.

Shut down at LYE and got out of the back seat and straight into the taxi that the Sqn Scribbly had sorted out.

Got to hospital to find out that my son was OK.

The Comp system was bypassed, but it was good to see just how much the Sqn cared about its' blokes and how they pulled the stops out for one of their own.

Thanks guys.

Exleckie

PS, DON'T FORGET THE COMP SYSTEM IS THERE FOR YOU, I was just lucky that the Sqn was aclose knit family.

GreyWalker
18th May 2005, 19:53
Well, guys and gals

As the bloke that runs the new Joint Cas & Comp Centre - I hope we are living up to the standards set by our predecessors.

No-one ever mentions the DTMA Comp Travel Cell - who organise all you plucky aviators to go this way or that for us or indeed hire charters/do civair bookings and the rest - they have to be the best Travel Agency in the World - bar none - when it comes to Comps.

Yes we still have A, B and C - but it's just one contact number now 24 hrs/day 365 a year no matter what Service you're in.

Hope you or the Rellies never have to call - but we'll do our best!

Curtis E Carr
18th May 2005, 20:52
Having unfortunately been the recipient of Comp B repatriation and assisted in many compassionate cases for others (by flying my Gazelle to the steps of the waiting jet at Hannover or Dusseldorf Airport for the individual to fly back to Blighty), I think the mil compassionate system is nothing short of excellent. The only rider is that you must give it a chance to work as any attempt to circumvent the system causes confusion and delay.

I have been out of the green romper suit for 5 years now but I hope that defence cuts etc will not affect this jewel in the crown of the mil welfare system.

Logistics Loader
18th May 2005, 21:52
I recall a Comp A going from MPN to Wick..
Started at MPN in a Falcon bizjet that was chartered, flown to Rio De Janiero, onto CDG then LHR. 125 from 32 Sqn flew LHR to Wick airport. THe duty manager then took Comp A to final dest in his car.

Also most challenging one, getting a Ghurka from MPN to Nepal. Job was done with help of several agencies...

The story of Concorde being used is legendary, not sure if any truth in it..but is there any value on human life ?? i think not !! so maybe Concorde was used....

I know chartering a bizjet aint cheap...maybe a 1 way ticket on Concorde was cheap by comparison though..

I'm sure even with another round of defence cuts, the Comp system will always be there..

The grades of Comp were A, B and C... IIRC ??

Comp A was to be moved ASAP, at public expense

Comp B was to be moved within 24hrs at public expense
These were for the more serious problems ie..family member VSI..

Comp C was actually high priority indulgence passenger..
This was not paid for at public expense. Cant remember the wording for it now, but basically a family member required home soon for moral support i guess. This category required the individual to pay indulgence charges. Ruling made by MOD not the Movs trade...

rgds

Ali Barber
18th May 2005, 22:26
Grey Walker, as I said earlier, you and your guys deserve the utmost respect. The most widely appreciated part of the services. Our gratitude is worth more than any medal.

exleckie
18th May 2005, 22:45
Hear hear.

respect Grey.

TacLan
19th May 2005, 01:20
A heartfelt thanks to Grey, and to all those, who when the word "Compassionate" is mentioned drop every thing and make it happen.

In a time when it is easy to knock the services (me included....where's that PVR form?) it fills me with pride to read these posts, and gives me faith in the system.

Kosovo 2000 (for the second time) one of our lads got the call, and as luck would have it, an Albert was already inbound. He was airborne within 2 hours on 7 days Comp Lve. It was akin to the parting of the Red Sea! Albert arrives at BZN where waiting HS 125 whisks him northward.

Three days later an e-mail arrives, from said chap, saying that he got to see his sister 2 hours before she passed. Filled us up a bit, did that.

If we don't look after each other, what do we have left?

Wossie
25th May 2005, 15:55
Just to add my heartfelt thanks to Greywalker and everyone at the compassionate cell. Just been on the receiving end of a comp A return from the gulf to see my mum in intensive care. At the hospital within 36 hours of my wife calling, courtesy of BA and a driver from Uxbridge. Excellent service and one that we must all continue to do our utmost to support.

It also worked for 2 others from the detachment during the last 2 months.

Having now been involved in helping others get back and been repatriated this really is priceless for those involved.

Brit55
25th May 2005, 20:28
Grey, you and your team deserve all of the accolade you get here and everywhere else. On some of these threads you tend to think "yeah yeah, point taken, lets move on!" Not so with this one!!! Probably room for several thousand more thankyou notes from service guys everywhere.

I've been unfortunate to have 2 cases. First one was whilst I was on HMS Invisible many years ago. Father took ill, boss contacted me via ASMA (remember that?!?!?) and I was on Seaking into Dubai airport within hours. Flew home club class and was met at airport by a friend in light blue who took me to the hospital via my home for a clean up!! Amazing.

Never thinking that would be topped, several years later I was on det at sunny stornoway with the mighty F3s when father fell ill again (i'm sure he waited until I was as far away from Newcastle as possible!). I got the bad news, sat in a room on the phone to family for about 20 mins. No sooner had I put the phone down when the F3 guys were sizing me up for a growbag with accessories. Flown to Leeming and then driven to Newcastle. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.

P.S. Sorry I barfed in the Tonka...

Dancing Bear
25th May 2005, 21:19
Flew a lad into Norway last year for a Cat A, Herc waiting at the end of the runway at Tromso, engine started as we landed on, lad escorted out from the disc and handed over to the Flt Sgt/Loady, we taxied out the way and the Herc was airborne before we finished shutting down. Lad was met the other end and then driven home in hours few.

Thanks to all of you that make this happen again and again, we all deserve a pat on the back occassionally and yes, we do do this so well.

ShyTorque
25th May 2005, 22:08
Was Station Duty Officer one night at a not-very-secret helicopter base near Wales. A student on a resident course came to me to say he had been informed that his baby son had been rushed into hospital near London with suspected heart failure. I rang my squadron boss to inform him and asked if there was any way to fly the student down south.

As it was well after bar opening time and a social function was in full swing, the flight commander and myself were the only two pilots who hadn't had a drink. The staish was informed and he gave permission for me to leave the station. We set off in the dark and landed the student in the grounds of the hospital in a Gazelle less than ninety minutes later.

Baby had a severe hole in the heart but recovered. We were well chuffed we could help, especially as the student was an old friend of mine.

16 blades
25th May 2005, 23:08
Just a thought, but can one use "STS/HUM" or similar designator in field 18 of the flt plan for a Comp A flt, to make routing easier? Anyone ever done this?

16B