PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open CD

Tosh McCaber
15th May 2005, 21:34
Another question.

I’ve received a training course on a CD from my firm, which, unfortunately, will not open. I’ve tried it on both my own, and a friend’s computer, both running Win 2000. When I try to run it, the following message box comes up:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose “Close” to terminate the application.

At the bottom are two options- Close/ Ignore

Choosing Ignore comes up with a box with the white cross on a red circle entitled Toolbook II (probably the name of the CD Course) “Cannot find TB70NET. EXE (or one of its components).

My colleague has received one, and it works fine for him. (He is running Win XP, but I wouldn’t have thought that that would make a difference?)

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tosh

stickyb
16th May 2005, 01:41
Check out this page here (http://support.plato.com/kb/tip.asp?psid=26487) to see if it helps.
Regards

spannersatcx
16th May 2005, 09:31
Here's a previous thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156067&highlight=MSDOS) with the possible answer.

willby
16th May 2005, 16:37
Hi,
Had the same problem a while back and the link which Spannarsatcx refers to and also which he posted sorted the problem for me.
Regards
Willby

Tosh McCaber
17th May 2005, 18:47
Got it resolved- by my computer expert pal! He emailed me three missing files that I had to add to the WinNT / System32 folder. The files were called, respectively, autoexec.nt, CONFIG NT, and command.com. (Two of them replaced older copies already there.)

Afterwards, voila!- I clicked on the CD, and it opened!

I can email the files to anyone in the unlikely event of someone with similar problems. Send me a PM.

Thanks to all,

Tosh

BOAC
18th May 2005, 11:58
Here's another odd one for the experts!

A set of 4 disks for GPS programme installation ran fine on an Adaptec 32xCDRom a year or two ago. I now have a LG4160B (firmware 304) CD/DVD do-it-all thingy - and it will not recognise the disks in W2000, XP or DOS. Disks fine in old IBM laptop, new set sent by software company still the same. Disks show in IBM as CDFS file system.

Everybody stumped! ALL other CDs/DVDs run just fine in it.??????

spannersatcx
18th May 2005, 16:42
BOAC, I had a similar thing once and it was to do with the copy protection on the disks, can't remember the exact why's and wherefores but some drives do have a problem with a certain type of copy protection.

If however it is not that, and there is no copy protection see if you can back the first disk up on another pc and try the back up disk in yours to see if that may help.

Tosh those files should of been on the OS CD.