PDA

View Full Version : Old RAF stations in the Sudan

Gerund
15th May 2005, 09:13
I am currently flying out of Khartoum to the south and west and was intrigued to see the old RAF stations at Geneina and El Fasher. I believe these were built, along with the one at El Obeid (now new) for the purpose of providing part of the link across Africa to supply British forces in Egypt during the Second World War, as a safer alternative to the sea route.

If anyone has any information on these stations, their history, and any links to photos of them in their heyday, it would be much appreciated.

Boss Raptor
15th May 2005, 10:49
As one who frequents and enjoys KRT on a regular basis;

go to the War Graves cemetary and see all the RAF dead for 1940-41, all around certain 10 day periods which I laterly discovered was offensive against Italians in Eritrea...in Gloster Gladiators!

also go to the old railway yards (wear long trousers against the snakes) and climb all over the old steam engines dumped there

as I understand it they used to route London and Baltimore -West Africa - across - to link to East Africa, Asia and beyond during WW2

google search 'RAF+Sudan+1940 (or 41)' shows up a lot

eg.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=history%2Bgeneina%2BRAF&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

steamchicken
16th May 2005, 10:48
That campaign was also the only time Commonwealth forces used a German aircraft: one of the SAAF squadrons, I remember reading, flew the Junkers 86! (Not, though, the souped up high altitude photorecce Ju86P) And, as well as Gladiators, I think there may actually have been Hawker Harts.

Gerund
22nd Jun 2005, 13:18
Thank you Boss Raptor and steamchicken. Apologies for the delay in replying but have been away for a while.

I have visited the cemetery and the old railway yards are on my list!

Was at El Fashir again a few days ago and went into the met office on the ground floor. It was like walking into a museum... all the old British weather equipment is still there and in use, 60 years on. Wind speed and direction being etched on a paper drum, the old recording barometer with the drum still being wound and turning, the stick barometer marked in millibars and so on. I had a tour by the proud resident met officer and will make sure I have my camera next time I return. :-)