PDA

View Full Version : RNAC Maitland

don_alexio
15th May 2005, 04:17
Sorry if this has been covered, I ran a search and couldn't find much...
Does anyone have any experience flying with Royal Newcastle Aero Club in Maitland? Any thoughts/opinions?
I've applied for the RAAF and am off to flight screening next month, but if I don't get in I'll go for a PPL straight away with money I have saved, then spend what I earn while I work on a CPL, then figure out my options from there.
Anyway was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about RNAC, it's convenient for me as I live 15 mins away, but knowing some opinions never goes astray.

john_tullamarine
15th May 2005, 11:07
.. I finished off my PPL there in the 60s and it was a good mob then under Stan Hone (who could do smooth things with a Tiger ...) but, I guess, you might be looking for some comments a little more recently sourced ... ?

CaptainToBe
15th May 2005, 11:08
If youre going to flight screening, you would be better off putting some of that money towards doing a course with Phil Unicomb at action aerobatics at maitland. but anyways, to answer your question....firstly, are you in the RAAF at the moment?

If not, maitland is ok if you get one of the good instructors. private message me and ill fill you in. i have a few mates there and i can give them a call on your behalf and they will be sure to look after you.

your other option is cessnock (basair) which have a good rep, but customer services can be pretty poor at times.

at the end of the day, rnac is probably the go since its so close. youll have to put up with a bit of organisation problems, and chase yourself a bit as far as getting exams done, but youll come out knowing what youre supposed to.

don_alexio
15th May 2005, 11:23
I've already done 7 hours with Phil, and I'm booked in for at least another 3 before I go, so I'm hoping I'll be prepared for the flying aspect of flight screening, it's more the officer selection board I'm worried about (and no, I'm not in the air force yet).
Thanks for your advice guys, check your PMs CaptainToBe.