PDA

View Full Version : Enabling cookies,Firefox?

tony draper
14th May 2005, 11:52
Slight prob has arisen here, been using Mozilla Firefox for a few months, tried logging nto a msn website last night, and as per it requested my passport password , which one duly suplied, still no joy, never had this prob before,then it flashed up a message that I had to have cookies enabled?
I know there is a enable cookies box somewhere but I cannot find it now,
Will this be a general enable cookies for the entire machine or a one on Mozilla Firefox itself?
I am running Win 98.
As stated, never had this problem, what could have switched off me cookie enabler?
:confused:

ZH875
14th May 2005, 14:37
Don't know what switched cookies off, but from Firefox menu bar select 'Tools' 'Options' 'Privacy' and expand the 'Cookies' options, check the 'Allow sites to set cookies' box, will switch them back on.

nwaflygirl
14th May 2005, 16:03
NET passport is a microsoft product, to be used with internet explorer. It seems to me that if you are using a competitor's browser (firefox) , you won't have much luck. Some sites can only be viewed with the Internet Explorer browser. There is, however an extension that you can download that helps. It allows you to view that particular page in IE. Download at http://ieview.mozdev.org/

There is also many cookie managers
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showforum=2&prune_day=100&sort_by=A-Z&sort_key=title&topicfilter=all&st=105

tony draper
14th May 2005, 18:49
Oh Bagger! I was pottering about with Firefox trying to find this enable cookies thingy when it asked me if I wanted to down load upgrades,did so, now I cannot get into the buggah at all,keeps telling me to shut down previous version, back to me old web browser now,
I wll have to delete Firefox and download and instal again but will lose all me bookmarks don't seem to be a folder with my favourites in the Mozzila folder.
Anyway, thanks for the help chaps.
Onward and upwards.

:(

Engineer
14th May 2005, 20:29
Has I am a mac user can only give you a web page (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#For_Windows_2000_and_XP_users) that explains about personal profiles used in any version of Firefox.

In mac OS you need to uninstall Firefox before you upgrade maybe windows is the same.

Hope it helps :ok:

shaky
15th May 2005, 18:08
Tony

It's not as bad as you think. Your bookmarks are kept in a hidden file in c:\docoments and settings\draper\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\arandomname and will not be deleted when you uninstall Firefox. All you need to do is go control panel\add remove programmes and delete all copies of firefox then go to your original firefox folder and delete it. you can then re-install Firefox to a new folder and your bookmarks will all reappear. Honest

cool blue
15th May 2005, 21:15
Tony,
Best option is to export your bookmarks somewhere safe, then import them afterwards.
>Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks>File>Export (saves as an html file same as Incontinent Exploder).
Repeat to import.
Rgds :ok:
CB.