PDA

View Full Version : head sets

stilly
14th May 2005, 06:29
hello,

was just wondering if anyone has bought david clark head sets over the net from america. did it work out cheaper. was there much stuffing around.

cheers

8 8th's Blue
15th May 2005, 00:34
I have bought a couple of items from the US and have had no drama yet. Service has been good. You do save a few bucks, but be warned postage can be expensive unless you use snail mail, and can do without a headset for a while. From memory "Cheap" postage usually took about 2 weeks This becomes more relevant if you need to make a warranty claim. Usually you will have to ship it back to its place of purchase. This often takes the cream off any saving. Having said that I have 2 DK headsets that have performed a flawless job for a few years now.

Sunfish
15th May 2005, 22:54
DO NOT DO IT! Your DC's or Bose headsets will work out almost exactly the same price as locally purchased ones.

The reason is that companies like Aircraft Spruce will send via DHL or Fedex. Costs about $50 bucks but then DHL will charge you another $60 for "Customs Clearance" plus GST on the value of the goods.

Somtimes you can get stuff sent by US postal airmail which is usually OK, a lot cheaper and you maybe won't get charged GST, but don't count on it.

Wheeler
16th May 2005, 03:40
Sunfish is right - unless you avoid the Fedex/DHL crap. They hit you for every charge imaginable, customs, duty, handling etc etc. and I find they are not actually that quick. If the thing arrives damaged, true, you can send it back, at your expense, but you get the handling and customs charges AGAIN when it returns. If you can get a supplier who will snail mail, things seem a lot less complicated. I just bought a headset from Lightspeed, (not a DC at all but peforms really well) and had no problems and it did not take any longer than the damaged GPS that arrived through Fedex, which took about a month by the time I had returned it and they sent a replacement.

Groundsman Willy
16th May 2005, 07:45
Best bet is get someone who's passing through the states to pick one up for you, give them the cost of carriage as a thanks if you want and then claim the GST once its back in the country. Make sure they get the receipt stamped at the airport in the states before departure and pick up the form (readily available).

I got a Bose from Canada and the GST came back in about three or four weeks, they sent me a cheque in NZ dollars.

A Bose is Bose is a Bose as far as warranty is concerned, don't matter where you bought it and to be honest so's a DC. I had my DC fixed under warranty and they never asked for the receipt.

Best investment I've made - love it!!

GW

Onan the Clumsy
17th May 2005, 16:10
DO NOT DO IT! Get a Lightspeed ANR instead :ok:

ANR is a fair bit of extra money, but if you can spring for it, it's well worth the difference and Lightspeed have all the service backup that DC have. I've got upgraded stuff sent to me when I asked free of charge too.

If that's not enough reason to get a Lightspeed how about this... you can run an ipod through them when you're flying.

PLovett
17th May 2005, 23:55
Bought my last DC ANR set from the states. Paid postage and customs and it was still cheaper than the advertised price for the same headset in Australia.

Incidentally, if you haven't used an ANR set before your ears are in for a treat. :ok: