View Full Version : Hi i'm a pilot, new senior base pilot actually

Hunt 4 Red Octoba
13th May 2005, 23:17
Chillin at the pub for a few beers after work with the boys and this w@nker strolls up and without introducing himself sits down tells us he's now senior base in darwin for D!r3ct@ir. What do you expect us to do, drop to our knees and start bowing, begging for a checkride, :mad: we're very happy where we work, probably cos the suckholes don't get past the interview. Pilots get the reputation of being arrogant tools cos of people like this. If you get a promotion let people within your company congratulate you, go looking elsewhere for praise you'll probably get a black eye. :mad:

What do the rest of you guys think???

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

:zzz:

Capt L
13th May 2005, 23:57
Maybe the poor guy wanted to meet people but just doesn't have any social skills.

Did he sit down and have a beer with you or just leave it at that.

Maybe he is a w@nker, but at least give him a chance to prove he's not. :ok:

vh-oja
14th May 2005, 00:01
I tell everyone i'm a forklift driver just to get out of the conversation of "what are you endorsed on?" and "how many hours have you got?" I find very few pilots want to talk about anything other than flying, maybe we're not getting enough???

if you know what i mean

:E

Super Cecil
14th May 2005, 00:19
vh-oja, Cessna 150 and 107.6 hours, .2 solo, that usually gets them talking.

tinpis
14th May 2005, 00:23
Be very careful who you upset.
Nine times out of ten they will end up the insufferable pricks of management pilots you will encounter later on in life.

bogdantheturnipboy
14th May 2005, 00:42
There's this really nice saying in the bible about being

'ever ready to believe the best
of every person'

I think its a really good way of interacting with people.

So instead of immediately assuming the worst of this pilot, you could have at least given him a chance.

Many pilots can be really dull and boring and so full of themselves - but actually there's a **** load which don't fit the mould in any respect and are terrific people.

This may be far too philosophical and touchy feely for this time of the day - or maybe any time of day for pprune .:)

Spotlight
14th May 2005, 01:13
Tinnys got it. Costs nothing to be polite and listen to these blokes. DO NOT give out negative vibes.

Dragon 1
14th May 2005, 01:35
Capt L,

I have to agree with Red Octoba. I was there and could not believe the arrogance that just flowed from this clown.
I gave him a chance after he just sat down in the middle of the group and interupted the conversation to introduce himself. Just his name would have been sufficient. Half the table had been senoir base pilot`s at one location or another, maybe not at such a glamorous destination as Darwin. However instead of getting involved in the conversation steered it towards flying and hours and what a great day he had just had. No one there gave a sh!t.
If he was looking to meet some people then he went the wrong way about it. You don`t have to talk yourself up, particuarly like that.
Spotlight and tinpis, we were polite no one told him to F&*% $#f!

Spotlight
14th May 2005, 07:21
Dragon 1, I'm getting the picture, you do run across them. Some come good though!

Pinky the pilot
14th May 2005, 10:44
I was once made the Port Moresby Senior Base Pilot of the company I flew for in PNG. What that 'promotion' really meant was;
More responsibility
No authority ( I did'nt want it anyway)
A third bar to the epaulette

When the boss informed me of my 'promotion' I asked him if it meant a pay rise. His reply was short and succinct.
"Don't be silly"
But I was impressed by his confidence in me. And still am so.:ok:
Even though I now consider it misplaced.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

ginjockey
14th May 2005, 12:19
Here we go again........

The guy walked up and you thought he was a ****** but you didn't have the nuggets to say it to his face so you scurry off like a cockroach and start an online bitchfest. If you thought he was a ******, why didn't you just say it to his face?

Can you answer that one for us all?

He may be a ******, but you my friend, are gutless.

Super Cecil
14th May 2005, 12:41
For those of us who don't know, what is a "Senior Base Pilot"?, the term just sounds as if you've been round the longest and you havn't made chief pilot yet?

CBD
14th May 2005, 15:28
Carefactor a high 0 !!!

who really cares. if he wants to rant and rave you don't have to listen.
If he's proud of what he has acheived then good on him.

It may be over the top ...... but he's probably new in the neighbourhood and wanted to impress. Even if he went about it the wrong way (in your and some others opinions)

Give the guy a chance and don't be so quick to judge .
We all have to start somewhere and when we acheive something, no matter how small or big in some cases we like to talk about it (some more than others) don't cut poeple down because it's not your stile!

don't like it ??? then walk away!

It's simple logic get a group of pilots together (especially from the same company)what gets talked about. bet your B%lls its not the wx.(Although when it's been a bad day.....)
If you want to talk sport join a sporting club , want to talk about something thats not work... find yourself a nice bar where knowone knows you and make up your farytale.!

:cool: CHILL PEOPLE!! :cool:

hoggsnortrupert
14th May 2005, 20:59
Mate after 22 years I am now officially out of the industry,"Why" I got sick of real plonkers, with nothing else to talk about, and ingratiating of thier own importance.during my 22 years, I made a reputation for myself for speaking my mind, sometimes I suffered from foot & mouth, but always had the decency to appologise.

Regret it NOT AT F___ing ALL.

Nearly all the fellows I have worked for and with on 3 continents are as per your comments, Gutless Whinging F---'s.

All for the job, must be carefull, they may take my aeroplane away?.
:ok:

Remember now, If it smells like ****e? if it tastes like ****e?then it is ****e.

HoggR

chimbu warrior
14th May 2005, 23:49
DEFINITION OF A PILOT -- Abloke who talks about sex all day, and flying all night!

Continental-520
15th May 2005, 01:02
Hunt 4 Red Octoba,

I know who you're talking about, and can well imagine what occurred, but really, there's nothing wrong in saying "Excuse me mate, it would be appreciated by those of us here if your verbal outbursts could be restricted to the topic we were discussing previous to your interruption. Thanks" and he'd accept that.

If you knew the guy any better, you'd discover he's an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth and a dollar for a dollar, even though he may come across as a smart arse.

Please give him a chance just like you would be given. Even if you may use it a little more wisely...

From what I understand you're assuming he wants you to bow to your knees and beg for a job, but was anything of that effect actually said?

I don't think that company are hiring "externally" anyway, I recently heard they only employ from their other bases, but that's second hand.

tinpis
15th May 2005, 01:07
Where does one find a cozy group of pilots having a convivial ale these days in Darwhine?
Sexy Rexys Palace of Piss?

:}

Dragon 1
15th May 2005, 03:16
Ginjockey, something was said. If he had let one of us get a word in between introducing himself and how great a day he had just had, with his promotion and all and, he may have heard the comments being directed at him!

The point being made on this post is that a group of guys were sitting around a table talking about everything but flying. He just sat down, interupted the conversation to introduce himself. Then directed the conversation his way. He had no idea anyone else was a pilot, cause if he did he would not have asked the question. So if nothing else, it was just $%#@* rude! He could have just sat down and waited for someone to speak to him!

It is not a bitch fest. It has nothing to do with his flying ability or professionalism. The guy wanted his own importance highlighted. NOW IT IS!.

glenb
15th May 2005, 05:55
Sorry fellas, but i am going to put my two bits in. First, so that everybody knows where i am coming from I am an ex workmate of this guy. Its unfortunate that some of you have formed a negative opinion of him. Having worked closely with him i can assure you that in 25 years of flying i have not come accross a more professional pilot, and dependable fellow. Yes, he is confident and self assured, but those are the qualities that make him so uncompromising in his attitude towards safety. Watch his operation closely fellas. You may even learn to admire his respect for the rules and regs, his determination to do every aspect of his job to the best of his ability, and his confidence to pipe up if he is not completely happy with something. If i was looking for a pilot he would be the fist person i would approach. I dont know what he is like in the sack, but he is a top lad to have a beer with. I look forward to the day that the industry uses forums like this to talk positive about fellow aviators, and deal in facts. To you guys full of criticism, ask him to help you out one day and your opinion will be forever changed. Cheers Glen Buckley.

ovum
15th May 2005, 11:01
If i was looking for a pilot he would be the fist person i would approach

What people will resort to for a job...;)

cunningham
15th May 2005, 12:18
Ovum you are a classic !!! hahah

MuttonGunn
15th May 2005, 12:39
HAHAHA. Senior base pilot.... what the hell is that anyway???

Who cares if he's the SBP? I think this title only means you:

are expected to hang around after work when everyone else is at the pub bragging about their 206 flight
get to do paperwork the boss and chief pilot can't be bothered wiv
can't have fun and goof off in the a/c like you used to
risk being labelled a w@nker like the above tool
act as some kind of pseudo-chief pilot
might occasionally be asked to "check out" some new CPL on a flight somewhere where he also doesn't get paid
develop a liking for "power"
don't get paid any extra for all of the above!!!

Oh well.... if nothing else this thread will show him the image he presents, whether he knows it or not. He might learn a thing or two about how he's perceived. We could all stand to do that now and then...

Continental-520
15th May 2005, 23:20
What do you expect us to do, drop to our knees and start bowing, begging for a checkride, we're very happy where we work, probably cos the suckholes don't get past the interview

Well maybe your happiness is a little taken for granted, since at least 3 of the Hardly Aviation boys have applied to other companies for work!!

Um, please explain, HUNT 4 RED OCTOBA?

Capt L
15th May 2005, 23:21
Dragon 1,

Understood, sounds like he came across as a real tool. But, maybe it wasn't intended. Hopefully someone who knows him will direct him to this thread and he can make amends (a round or two should probably do it ;)). That would probably be the real indicator of what the guy's really like.

Cheers
CL

Continental-520
15th May 2005, 23:44
Hopefully someone who knows him will direct him to this thread and he can make amends

Well, my bet is that he already is well aware of this, but refuses to descend to these levels and get involved. :rolleyes:

OpsNormal
16th May 2005, 02:41
Can't imagine why he would..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tinny, they rock on over to the Air Ngu hangar, get handed a coldy by one of the locals, settle back into it and watch the other "fireworks" that go on from time to time... hehehe.

Thanks for the invite and the couple of beers fellas, when we get a few more things sorted here the invite will be reciprocated! When's the fishing trip on? :} :} :}

Regards,

OpsN;)

bloated goat
16th May 2005, 06:09
if the guy is really a tool well just let him be..... i am sure the major airlines will be able to pick it and not hire him....... or he could learn from the experience and change his ways... thats all !!

CaptainToBe
16th May 2005, 08:10
Guys and Gals, from meeting some very powerful people, to reading what people say on this forum, i am convinced that whatever you do, will come back on you, whether it be good or bad.

Everyone on this forum that flies professionally all started out somewhere at the bottom of the food chain. Back in the day, it was probably a big deal to get a promotion such as this. While I agree that you shouldnt let this get to your head, just think about when you got a promotion such as this yourself. Not such a big deal now when you hear about someone going through it, but it was a big deal back in the day when it was indicative of a step forward.

Give the guy a second chance. Anyone can mess up and make a fool of themselves. In this case he got drunk, and wanted the world to know his good news. If he was an observer, he would probably be saying the same things you all are.

C2B

Continental-520
19th May 2005, 11:34
The Air Ngukurr Bandit is back in service well and truly, has been for some time.

Not too sure what damage was sustained, if any, but couldn't have been too ugly, cause it didn't take long to return to service.

I think it may have landed free of damage, but just needed to be towed to "the GA". Not a full bottle on that, though. Others may be able to provide a greater scoop on this...

Jawz
19th May 2005, 13:11
I heard Air Ngu lost their major contract "Tiwi Tours" to the company 2 doors down? If this is true .. is the bandit also moving????

Anyone in the know ... Shed some light!

Might be the start of the Air Ngu downward run !!!

Prop's ????
24th May 2005, 00:45
I can’t believe you guys.

I spent 8 years flying GA; in that time I did come across some stupid managers, CP and even S.B.P. They all have a job to do, some not so important.

From my experience most pilot’s are looking forward to move on into a nice clean aircraft. Your attitudes are not what I call professional at all. Yes the guy (S.B.P) probably came across in a funny way, but remember one day he could be your boss.

Don’t just spend the next year drinking your spare time away; you have all spent a lot of time and money on your CPL or ATPL. I’m sure when you started out you all had to find your way around.

When you move into a real airline, most of these cowboy attitudes will need to be left behind. I’m not saying we don’t have fun; we still drink after work and always have something to complain about.

Just remember this is a very small world, one day you will come across people you didn’t like. They may or have been a complete tosser, but would you say no to a job because Joe Blow is the boss?

Good luck.

G Cantstandya
31st May 2005, 05:11
I too know the SBP at DA in Darwin.
Let me take this chance to say a quick few words about this fella,
I have known him for over 5 years and watched him go from a trainee pilot to where he is today. Although he can be little arrogant and a bit of a smart arse ( problably what cost him a qf and ea gig ) overall he is not a bad kid.
I feel he suffers from small man syndrome and was probably picked on as a kid, overall he is hard worker from what I have seen and with a little more maturity he would be the kind of guy you would have a beer with.
Anyway thats my two cents worth and if you read this ST keep working hard, you'll find things have a funny way of falling into place..

multime
3rd Jun 2005, 08:10
In this case its pretty rude to not introduce yourself, no matter how high you are up thefood chain.I am constantly amazed how many people after introducing myself, shaking hands, do not even bother to give you a reply.
Perhaps its lack of confidence or arrogance who knows?.
Anyway know some of the crew at #####t AIR, and their busy !so at least one operator on the airfield is happy.?
Unlike one who pays contract hourly rates, expects 40hrs a week+, and is currently under the casa watch dogs.
Well look me in the eye ,shake my hand and i,ll buy you a beer!!!
Cheers Multi:ok:

Tempo
3rd Jun 2005, 11:23
So do you clowns bitch and moan on the internet everytime you meet someone you dont like???? Really, who gives a rats about some guy you met at the pub while drinking one afternoon. And why do you feel that you have to tell the entire Australian and New Zealand aviation community about this bloke?? Do you feel that much better about yourself now that you have?

KID Quality
3rd Jun 2005, 12:18
I agree I didn't invest me Dads money to be harrassed by a bunch of no-hopers like the initiator of this thread. By Crikey your a sour member of the fine aviation community. Its sour B@stards like you who will be creeping for promotion...... you sssssssso very sorry azzholes!

PS normally I post for a joke but you fellas are really piss weak, I have a higher opinion of the bloke you posted about than you, gutless freaks.

scrubed
3rd Jun 2005, 21:11
I see myself in you, when I was younger. :rolleyes: Well, maybe not that long ago...

I can't believe this thread is still going.

RENURPP
3rd Jun 2005, 22:10
Have to agree with the above sentiments. He may have been a jerk but guess what. there were bigger jerks than him at the table~!!!

captwawa
4th Jun 2005, 00:03
multime

#####t AIR, and their busy !so at least one operator on the airfield is happy.?I have been told that the reason that they are busy is due to pilots subsidising the charter costs by paying to do ICUS. That allows the company to quote twins at single rates, and guess what - busy and happy like Microsoft.:suspect:

RENURPP
4th Jun 2005, 02:16
Captwawa, :oh: :oh: :oh:

Always amazes me how the Darwin GA side can't help but try and discredit their opposition.
Been watching it for 16 yrs. Well the facts are that just about all of the operators are the same.
Air North used to operate under so many names it was ridiculous then when they had a prang, and there were plenty, they would make sure it was reported as Capitec, or Murrin, or one of the other various names. Been in severe financial problems several times while I have been here.
Another long term operator on the field had is chief pilot approval taken off him several times I believe. That wasn't because he was an angel.
You all knocked the crap out of HA, who seems to be dieing a quiet death these days.
The list goes on THEY ARE ALL THE SAME and you work for them making you pretty much all the same so why do you insist on taking delight in watching the other guy go under??
:hmm: :hmm:

captwawa
4th Jun 2005, 03:22
HA did it to himself I’m afraid. I haven’t worked for him but know quite a few pilots that have, and all have been shafted one way or another. If HA does the lawful thing and come good with the back pay and starts treating his pilots with a bit of respect then I have no problem with NAC continuing to operate. Whether he does this is another story. so why do you insist on taking delight in watching the other guy go under??Not true. We all felt for Hardys when they lost 3 a/c to the Salvation Army. No one wants to see good operators go under – just the bad ones. As for #####t AIR, if they keep conducting business the way they are then you might see a few guys go under.

Continental-520
4th Jun 2005, 05:12
Captwawa,

You've just categorised yourself with those that do not research facts and form strong opinions based on a minimum of insight, with your comment:

I have been told that the reason that they are busy is due to pilots subsidising the charter costs by paying to do ICUS. That allows the company to quote twins at single rates, and guess what - busy and happy like Microsoft

Well done comrade. If you should ever happen to emerge from your world of oblivion, you may find that the guys at *****t (some of whom I know) are in fact very happy, and treated as they should be.

I doubt the dozens of pilots from all the companies surrounding them who have asked them for a job believe they're about to "go under".

Jealousy is a cruel emotion, isn't it? One which cannot be easily contained, it would appear.

The mind boggles....:rolleyes:

KID Quality
4th Jun 2005, 05:55
Savvy managers, though, can stop jealousy before it occurs:

o Make sure employees know the selection criteria for promotions, assignments, and awards.

o Emphasize that your decisions are based on equity and fairness. That way, when Julie gets sent to Paris, Bob understands she was chosen for her fluency in French, not because she sucked up to her superiors.

o Rotate workers to share desirable assignments.

o Ask staff members for their input in decision-making.

o Finally, remind employees that you value their efforts. Workers with high self-esteem are less likely to engage in destructive turf wars.

Which is indicative of LOW esteem for these muppets starting this post!

I find the same problem when I leave my flight school in my Merc CLK320 (Dad didn't think the extra for the 500 was needed yet). However some fellow students seem to have dropped the green eyed bomb just because we have money to burn.......so what I love flying, and Dads rich .......get over it, LOSERS!:mad:

captwawa
4th Jun 2005, 06:25
Continental-520 you didn’t strike me as a moron. Where in my post have I stated that the pilots there are unhappy and poorly treated? Nor have I said or implied that they are going under. The opposite actually. Jealousy over flying pistons in Darwin again is not the underlying emotion I’m afraid. But to question the principals of the local operators. Why don’t you go and see for yourself the operation down south and ask what training and experience they can provide. You might also want to ask for a charter quote and compare it to other operators in the area also. I can only comment on the conduct of the Darwin operation from trusted second hand information. That is why I said “I have been told”. I haven’t researched the facts but know of a few who are. I hope when you say that the pilots are being treated as they should be means that they are being paid properly. It just strikes me as strange when HA the king of undercutting can’t operate profitably when competing with #####T Air head to head.

I just pose this final question. How can a company that pays their pilots properly, conforms to duty time limitations and uses leased aircraft afford to legally operate profitably at below cost charter rates?

wawa

ps. I don't know the guy you are all referring to but I think enough is enough. From what I have read he seems just a harmless social outcast. If he is not a bad person then just let him be. Save the ridicule for the evil souls of this world.

RENURPP
4th Jun 2005, 06:38
I have no idea who you are talking about and it makes no difference.
My point is that even if he were a good bloke working for another company, particularly in a senior and/or management position other pilots would take pleasure in assasinating his character for some unexplicable reason.

The next point is who is this magical good operator on the airport??

The one you named has an extremely chequered past or has that been over looked due to -
"thats were I work and their taking our flying because they quote lower, there fore they must be dangerous".
Re this "good operator" The same person IS at the helm, I would be supprised if any thing has changed for the better, just learnt how to hide from CASA more effectively.

At the end of the day the only GA operator at Darwin that is possibly worth a thought would have to be Pearl.
In my time here I have heard almost nothing derogatory about them from within or externally, they pay OK I believe, their aircraft are OK they don't have much of an accident history.

The rest are good for gaining experience and moving on asap, including scare north.

The best I have heard of recently is one of the so called good operators of the not so distant past is in gaol for fraud. Beautiful.

vh-oja
4th Jun 2005, 07:18
Look fella's the grass is always greener on the other side, who cares why *****t air are busy, it's up to the operations departments to take care of quoting etc... I think most of us here are up here to get our hours, sink a heap of p!ss then move on. Don't get caught up in all this bullsh!t, try to keep things simple. Keep flying efficiently, keep your punters happy and you'll do alright. Keep your respective companies out of your little arguements, it gives the wider community of pilots who read this an impression of unprofessionalism on the side of the company that you are 'representing' while you try to hack the other company and their employees down.

So this guy was a pr!ck at the pub that night at the pub, have a laugh at him, get over it and move on. As for those who think people should drop to their knees and worship you for who you are or what you do, you make me sick.
:yuk:

T3000
7th Jun 2005, 12:40
haven't heard much about NAC lately apart from HA selling off remote bases to Ausjet to pay for debts. is this correct?

KID Quality
7th Jun 2005, 12:57
HA usual suspects WS and

ginjockey
8th Jun 2005, 07:32
How could NAC "sell" a remote base? Isn't an "NAC remote base" just a parking space on a publically owned airfield like Katherine with a portable office (that actually means secondhand caravan up on bricks with an extension cord hanging out the walll) somewhere nearby to accomodate a 210 driver with his own mobile phone?

It's not like they are established offices with permanent facilities and aircraft, rights to routes and associated turnover of dollars. Maybe I'm totally wrong but that was the impression I got about what a GA remote base looks like.

Gee, what does a fantastic business opportunity like that sell for these days anyway?

Continental-520
8th Jun 2005, 08:30
Ginjockey,

Right on the money again there. Any man and his dog can set up a remote base as long as their AOC & Ops Manual allow for it, I would think.

So, the only way of 'selling' a remote base would be to sell the chitty, decrepid old caravan on bricks, in this instance, seeing that HA doesn't even own the aircraft which are situated at the remote bases 'for sale'.

Could lease it out, of course, but that would hardly be viable unless aircraft leases are transferred to the new contender, cause NAC lease them anyway.

So, what's the bet? How long till they fold?

Hopefully the pilots will find an escape route before they do...

gary gearbox
9th Jun 2005, 00:16
VH OJA has got it in one.

Why do so many people complain and moan about what the other companies are up to. Why do the employees of company A wish so hard for company B to close down?? Yeah you might get a few more hours but that probably wont change what you are doing in a few years time. Your attitude will affect that more than extra hours in the log book. We will all be gone and moved on to bigger and better things a few years down the track. Each company I know has got some great guys working there. I dont want them to be out of a job.

Lets all have a bit of fun, get the hours, have a few beers and a laugh.

GG

ginjockey
9th Jun 2005, 02:50
OK, just finished typing up my classified for the Trading Post, thought I would run it past some of you before I pay for it.

FOR SALE: Unique Business Opportunity. Remote Aircraft Charter Base. Includes one 12m X 6m piece of grassy parking area on public airfield. Comes with full infrastructure including 3 star pickets in a triangle attached to 4 metre lengths of frayed rope, one of which has a snap hook still on it. Star pickets marked with 1976 Holden gemini tyres, once painted white back in 1984.
Also included, one termite riddled "Tour Delux" Caravan mounted up on house bricks. Carvan is fitted with one non functioning airconditioner and original curtains, some flyscreens need replacing. Sale also includes a 1992 WAC chart taped to the dining area wall, one wonky office chair and a wasp nest in the back right hand corner.

This sale does not include an aircraft, any goodwill or contracts.
A once in alifetime chance to break into the big money world of aviation. No time wasters. Genuine buyers only. Price on Application.

C'mon in spinners.......

T3000
9th Jun 2005, 10:26
sounds like ytbr.

Binoculars
9th Jun 2005, 12:20
Gary Gearbox, good luck to you. Don't let them pull you into the gutter with them. The rest of you might do well to read his words and ponder.

RENURPP
10th Jun 2005, 00:20
continental 520 and friends, take notice of oja.

By the way some of those aircraft in remote communites can make an absolute killing.

It takes more than parking an aircraft and a pilot at a community to make it work, apart from the AOC etc, most of these commumities have a bit of loyalty to established local pilots and operators, when I was involved with this type of operation, the aircraft based at commumities where making more $$$$ than any aircraft we had based in Darwin.

What is there to sell?
The aircraft, assuming he owns it
the goodwill of the pilot/company who hopefully has built up a relationship with the commumity including the right to live and work in the community, that is certainly not a given. You can not just fly an aircraft to a commumity and say here I am I am the ace of the base fly with me!!!!

Just leave them alone and let everybody get on with their lives, or are yours so misserable that you feel it necessary to drag every body else down to your level.

ginjockey
10th Jun 2005, 05:50
Calm it down a notch Nurrp. I'm saying that the concept of selling an established "Base" is a whole lot different to what is actually on the ground in terms of infrastructure, capital and money making ablility. I have no idea what NAC's remote base consists of but from what I have seen of a typical outback GA operation, my above for sale ad is probably on the money.

As for pilot acceptance in a community. I disagree with that. It's not as if pilots have to be champions of the community and President of the Groote Eylandt golf club to get a few stray charters. Bush folk will charter whatever plane is available from whoever and if they happen to know the name of the bloke who will fly the plane well that's a bonus. Established goodwill is a vague and whimsical creature out ther in the sticks.
Also,Most bush base pilots are only about for a season anyway and the fact that they only last a year is usually a joke among the bushies anyway. How many young GA pilots decide to settle down in Meekatharra for life because they have mede friends with the local bobcat driver? Zip. Pilots want the minumum amount of time out there before they get back to a city with more than one pub so they can sniff out their next job. Loyalty is not a factor.

Maybe you watched too many episodes of Flying Doctors when you were a kid but it's not quite the romantic stuff of slim dusty songs out there these days.

I'm not dragging anybody down, I'm telling it like it is. Big difference.

compressor stall
10th Jun 2005, 07:07
Spent some of the best times of my flying career at YTBR, back when the pub was still 24 hours. I used to fly my own boags and coopers in from Darwin and pay the publican $25 to keep it in the fridge for my consumption at the bar. Worked out cheaper than buying VB. A great community there then, from the copper to the nurses to the teachers. I miss it, especially sitting in nine mile billabong with beers and a pommie backpacker...

Adventures aplenty included abseiling into that sinkhole on the way to Kildurk (got some great pics of the artwork at the bottom!) and discovering some new styles of aboriginal art in the cliffs high above the East Baines.

A well run base is an asset that can be sold. Back in my day we had a slick operation that used to turn over big$$. It was a vertiable cash cow, topped up when you could arrange back charters though your network of people in the public service.

A poorly run base run by a disinterested pilot with a mobile is not worth anywhere near as much, agreed. Funny the people that moan about being based out bush when/if they make it to fly something transport cat. start to think back to how much fun it was.

It's all down to you.

CS

BTW is my go-kart trophy still on the top shelf? And what happened to my FHMs?

Pinky the pilot
10th Jun 2005, 11:47
Remote bases not profitable??:confused: :confused:
Mention the words cash fares to any ex Talair or Douglas Airways Pilot who was based on a 'remote' base and see what he says!
Providing of course he wishes to incriminate himself.:E :E

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

tipped off
11th Jun 2005, 00:50
My Bi monthly visit to pprune

I had the please in flying with DxxxxxAir to groote, the pilot was unaware that I to was a pilot allbeit on the east coast. I wish the company i fly for would provide such service, I arrived to be treated to fresh coffee, cakes and friendly service not to mention the escort to the aircraft and a safety brief. The aircraft was clean and tidy and the departure on time. Dont personally know the SBP but Im sure he will settle down after the bagging he has recieved.
There are o lot of good operators and good pilots in darwin I dont think DxxxxtAir will be a threat but It looks like they are there to stay.

My Resume is on its way.

tinpis
11th Jun 2005, 01:06
:cool: What are you talking about pinky?

Continental-520
11th Jun 2005, 02:14
OJA, Gary Gearbox, Renurpp, Binoculars,

Obviously I was not clear enough in my previous inferences.

Would I like to see NAC shut down? Yes. But not for the reasons you assume.

Wouldn't you want to eliminate ANY operator who is detracting to our industry and detrimental to it? It's not that it's NAC in particular, I would wish the same of any operator who operates in a fashion such as NAC, and as I wrote in a previous post, I would hope that the pilots involved can source an escape route before it all crumbles to pieces.

As far as the 'hours' go, I frankly couldn't care less! Most of the work that NAC do these days involves hours that I don't want or need. The less sharks in this industry, the better gentlemen. I challenge you to disagree with that.

In addition, the point was not whether remote bases were profitable, but rather whether or not they could be "sold".

Please take stock....

frontseatpassenger
11th Jun 2005, 05:27
tipped offnot to mention the escort to the aircraft and a safety brief. Gee, they really do go above and beyond. :rolleyes: Did you see them weigh the baggage and freight though on their only set of $20 bathroom scales? I doubt it. Did you travel in their 421 with a full load of adult pax and freight? Did it get off the ground ok? Coffee, cakes and 5 star rating doesn't mean jack sh*t when you have low time pilots flying overloaded aeroplanes every day. "I sustained 3rd degree burns when the plane clipped the trees after take off, but the coffee was nice".

Continental-520Wouldn't you want to eliminate ANY operator who is detracting to our industry and detrimental to it? Yes absolutly. But D*****t Air has taken the spot light off NAC of late. At least NAC has a proper set of freight scales and the dodgy ops manager is now with D***** Air. It would be good for the waiting pax to watch D*****t's first crash on the new plasma screen in true digital colour.

globalcolt
11th Jun 2005, 05:44
:ok: HEY i thought everyone automatically got handed a licence from Ron Jeremy after they completed his training or became burnt out......:O or betta still just could'nt make the grade hehehehe

Continental-520
11th Jun 2005, 12:51
But D*****t Air has taken the spot light off NAC of late. At least NAC has a proper set of freight scales and the dodgy ops manager is now with D***** Air. It would be good for the waiting pax to watch D*****t's first crash on the new plasma screen in true digital colour

Yeah, probably cause the latter exceed NAC's operating standards and techniques by infinite proportions. It's just a shame that you choose not to see that, and instead you've chosen to categorise yourself with those who form strong opinions and assumptions on a minimum of insight, if any.

All you need to do is compare each companies premesis, equipment and reputation, at a glance, and it will tell a story of its own.

Then again, if the extent of your insight is to judge a company by the brand of scales it utilises, I will, if I may, let you remain in your sadly terminal state of distraitness.

The last fool is not yet born....:p

captwawa
12th Jun 2005, 03:00
Continental-520 your not the sharpest tool in the shed are you. probably cause the latter exceed NAC's operating standards and techniques by infinite proportions.How is that possible when one of the main problems at NAC was their operations manager who is now at #####t Air. And believe me when I say that I am no fan of NAC, but you seem to just be in it for the witch hunt. You can’t call one operator dodgy and turn a blind eye to the one your mate works for! NAC’s biggest problem wasn’t operating standards anyway but pilot pay and conditions.

What frontseatpassenger is trying to say is that it takes more than passenger comfort to make a good charter company. Their safety should be number one priority. All you need to do is compare each companies premesis, equipment and reputationWell if you engaged your brain before your fingers you would have realised that #####t Air are using a lot of NAC’s old aircraft. Hmm, same aircraft, same ops manager – same equipment, same mindset. I would say same sh%t different company. Even RENURPP stated Re this "good operator" The same person IS at the helm, I would be supprised if any thing has changed for the better, just learnt how to hide from CASA more effectively.It's funny but #####t Air are still trying to take NAC's clients, planes, pilots and reputation. You just need to learn how to read between the lines. Just wondering 520, why are you defending #####t Air so much while still on at NAC?

Continental-520
12th Jun 2005, 04:10
No, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I don't stab people in the back like some, I've managed to resist posessing that trait.

All the staff at NAC are under the command of ONE individual, and that is why the whole operation seems to be chafing. It hasn't stopped yet, either. Watch it and see. If they're the myriad of a good operation that you seem to suggest they are, why are they going downhill?

If you call two aircraft "a lot of aircraft", then you're a little misguided. Less than 20% of their fleet consists of ex NAC equipment. And who's not engaging their brain before fingers?

Just wondering 520, why are you defending #####t Air so much while still on at NAC?

Because I DETEST operators that detriment the industry in which I work, that expolit staff, breach safety and generally cut corners, and I'm pleased to see the commencement of an operator that does things to a standard beyond the norm. That's why. And that's not limited to DA, that goes for all. You won't see me dissing operators anywhere that operate in the right fashion, but I won't hesitate to express my opprobrium towards those that carry on like NAC do.

Is that not understandable? Why are you so reluctant to accept my point, Cpt. Wawa?

Enufsaid
13th Jun 2005, 03:22
I DETEST operators that detriment the industry in which I work, that expolit staff, breach safety and generally cut corners

The very company you are working for does just that :mad:

bogdantheturnipboy
13th Jun 2005, 09:26
I love these cat fights, whinges and gossiping.

Please don't stop.

Continental-520
13th Jun 2005, 12:44
How would you know? You don't work for them. (If you do, it sounds like you shouldn't be.)

What proof is there that I work for them? Can you explain how you could possibly be one of exploited staff if you don't work for them?

Enough said! :D

vh-oja
14th Jun 2005, 12:33
Hmmmm, exploitation. How much are D***** charging you for your ICUS?

:yuk:

just kidding mate, head down the lost arc and get yourself laid, you'll feel much better

Deepsea Racing Prawn
14th Jun 2005, 14:52
520 ...didn't take you long to get involved in the top end politics.

Continental-520
18th Jun 2005, 02:02
It doesn't take long for anyone to get involved if they hold an opinion, gauging by the above.

All it takes is for your opinion to differ slightly from someone else's, and you're an instant parasite...!

How frightfully narrow....