PDA

View Full Version : Diesels in GA aircraft

Woomera
13th May 2005, 01:44
FYI the below is self explanatory.

Comments anyone re diesels

Thank you for taking time to provide EADS Socata with valuable information regarding their Trinidad aircraft. The senior management team of Socata is reviewing that information now and will take your advise and input to-heart as the evaluate future developments of the Trinidad.

As our way of saying thank you, QMR always likes to share some of the survey findings with you. To that end, you might nterested to know that:

- Regarding Diesel Engines, here is what we learned:
I would probably not be interested in a diesel engine for my aircraft: 9.2%
I would be interested in a diesel engine for my aircraft immediately: 9.9%
I would be very interested in a diesel engine for my aircraft, at my next scheduled overhaul: 33.6%
I would probably wait until diesel engines had several years of market experience: 47.3%

- Regarding the proposed modifications and upgrades to the Trinidad models, 31.6% of you felt those modifications would increase the value of the aircraft and position it well among the other single-engine-piston aircraft in the market.

In the next few days you'll be receiving an invitation for the Lancair Market Study. Please take a few moments to complete the brief survey once you receive your invitation.

Again, thank you for your valuable time and consideration. If you would like to stop receiving aviation surveys from QMR, please click on the link below

Not_Another_Pot
13th May 2005, 02:00
Two things:

1) The engine they are proposing is only a 235hp, granted this will produce more than the IO540 over 6500' but I feel it needs to be at least a 250hp if not a 300.

2) The engine is certified to 12,500' only. This is a starting issue as the turbo would not be producing any compression to enable the squeeze bang engine to fire up.

Until these two issues are fixed I'll stick with the IO540.

NAP

Super Cecil
13th May 2005, 03:10
You forgot Mr Nappy that it's going to cost at least $110,000 OZ and that there is no overhaul it's only replacement at @ 2000 hrs?

bushy
13th May 2005, 11:51
Is this the engine that stops if you lose electriac power? See AD's

steamchicken
13th May 2005, 14:14
I'd have thought a petrol engine was more likely to quit without electrics - spark plugs, distributor, all that stuff vs. compression ignition

OZBUSDRIVER
14th May 2005, 00:00
I have a question about the fuel systems on aero-diesels. Does the fuel system have a self bleed operation to clear the lines of air?

bushy
14th May 2005, 00:50
It's got an electronic control system, which apparently does not work without electric power. There is an AD about it.
Rdiically new things often have ad's for a while.

Jenna Talia
14th May 2005, 09:54
Had a gander at the Delta Hawk engine display at Avalon plus a talk with the rep. Very impressed with the concept.

http://www.deltahawkengines.com