PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 9Q-CBW

r3500vdp
12th May 2005, 21:13
I'm looking for any information on the current status of Boeing 707 - 9Q-CBW. This is the infamous aircraft with relations to dubious characters like Ronald Desmet.

It stood for 5 years at SEN (Southend), was re-registered TL-ADJ and titled African Lines and started a ferry flight to Libia on 31/12/2002 but had to make an emergency landing at Ostend.

It departed Ostend on 6/8/2003 under pressure of the DRC government it seems, but again had to land at RHE (Reims) due to faulty transponder I believe and was subsequently impounded.

It departed Reims on an unkown date and once more landed with problems at XCR (Vatry). The Boeing was subsequently registered back to 9Q-CBW and departed for an unkown destination.

I would really appreciate anymore information on this story i.e. does anybody know when it departed Vatry using what registration what destination was filed on the flightplan.

Also curious who would pay the parking and repair bills at Southend, Ostend, Reims and Vatry which must have been substantial for such an old and worn aircraft. One story is that it is now active with Hewa Bora and parked Kinshasa but not confirmed to date.

RJP1962UK
16th May 2005, 14:42
I was working in Kisangani and Kinshasa during the past 3 years and saw this a/c frequently in Kisangani during 2004.

HZ123
19th May 2005, 07:06
I remember it well at SEN and it was the first time my children had seen a wet start with the the flaming engines start. The a/c was hangared for a couple of weeks with Heavylift Eng and was also resprayed so the costs would have been significant. I was told recently that it had been grounded in Saudi. If it is still flying it is some credit to the old 707.

Of interest to me is what has happened to the Koda Air 707 which I believe is also a '9L'.

eggplantwalking
22nd May 2005, 15:11
9Q-CBW was the former SCIBI Zaire aircraft that got grounded in the UK for political reasons during the power struggle in Kinshasa at the turn of the century; i.g., a fight over it's ownership. Therefore, no AOC or C of A was issued as the owners could not come to an agreement as they were on opposing sides of the political contest. When this issue was finally resolved, over three years later, the aircraft was to ferried to Lybia. On departure from the UK the aircraft failed to pressurize (unable to get the A/C into the flight mode due to a gear switch) and the crew elected to land at Ostend. When the Belgian CAA inspected the A/C they found the crew had no current licenses nor current Jeppesens onboard. This, of course, really impressed them and gave reason to ground the aircraft. Since most of the engineering facilities at Ostend were owed mony from SCIBI from several years back, all refused to work on the aircraft. Eventually and several months later, the aircraft was extricated and made it's way to Kinshasa via France where, I believe, it still operates. At one time this was a great B-707 which was well maintained and powered by -7 engines. However, I would guess by now it's condition has been somewhat deminished. As for the Koda B-707, it is parked in SHJ on the military ramp in the back corner. I walked around it last month and, although it has not flown in over a year, it appears to be in reasonably good shape, albet the corrosion is starting to take it's toll.

gerhardv8
3rd Jun 2005, 10:53
Hi There,

Found 9Q-CBW --- It is in Kinshasa , parked and I have not seen it fly for some time.......

Tried to take a pic but it is difficult as the Police and security are always wondering around. It is parked opposite of HBA hangers. Will try to get you a pic soon!!!!!! Present colours are white with red stripes and "red nose"......

There are a number of "old-timers" (B-707's) parked around the HBA hanger area.......also -----I noticed a MK DC-8 reg 9G-MKE, just standing around.......who knows the story??