PDA

View Full Version : 'Guide To Being A Professional Pilot'

MediaMonkey2004
12th May 2005, 19:48
Hi Folks.

Quick question... I've been told that the Clive Hughes 'Guide To Becoming a Professional Pilot' is a must-have when setting out on this career path...

I've tried to purchase the book through his own website and have emailed them twice, however the money has not been taken from the account and I've not heard from them?

Has anybody else experienced similar? Where did you guys n' gals get your hands on a copy?

Cheers, Catch you in the Cockpit :cool:

MediaMonkey2004 :ok:

mattd2k
12th May 2005, 22:07
Try either Transair or Flightstore, both have the facility to order online and am pretty sure both of them stock it.

It really is a must have, I found it an excellent help when I was looking to start my training 2 years ago and still refer to it now.

Matt.

p.savage
13th May 2005, 12:38
MediaMonkey2004,

There is a new book out called Becoming an Airline Pilot, by Bailey Jamison. www.baileyjamison.co.uk

I bought it last week and its brilliant. Some fasinating info on body language and goal setting. Stuff that really works and will help you. Its an ebook and a bargain at about £16.

Good Luck

Savage

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th May 2005, 16:28
And who in the heck is Bailey Jamieson?

I wouldn't spend too much on interview prep courses or guidebooks. Mainly because all the advice from every viewpoint you could ever want is here; for free; forever.

Cheers

JB007
13th May 2005, 23:36
Have to agree with WWW, and certainly avoid paying people to map it out for you and tell you which schools to choose, IMHO - these are personal choices based on your personal circumstances and with whom YOU are comfortable spending your hard earned/borrowed cash with...

I saw in the back of BALPA's "The Log" this month a certain chap who does this renting an apartment out in Barbados!!!! Not bad going.... It's all here for free if you search hard enough...

Cheers
JB

C Hughes
15th May 2005, 17:54
Sorry about the delay in answering but have been away on a long roster. I am disappointed to hear you are having trouble ordering the book or contacting me - seem to have no record of any relevant emails. Will send you a private message also.

Regards

Clive Hughes

MediaMonkey2004
15th May 2005, 18:54
Hi All...

Firstly, thanks for everybodies posts - good to hear all your feedback.

I agree that this forum is a very good resource of information and contains substantial up-to-the-minute information with regard to obtaining pilots licenses, since it is frequented by many industry professionals and very well run.

Clive... I have emailed you again, I've attached the previous two emails - I didn't realise that you were away on a long roster. I hope the emails arrived OK.

All the Best,

MM :cool:

ukwannabe
16th May 2005, 09:33
Maybe jumping the gun here but have you tried contacting Claire at AOC4pilots.aol.com They offer a one day course to ease newly qualified pilots into airline pilots. Explaining the ropes, and hurdles. Course run by a B747-400 Captain I believe.

High Wing Drifter
16th May 2005, 09:55
It's all here for free if you search hard enough
Wood for trees old boy.

MediaMonkey2004
16th May 2005, 11:26
Hey…

Just a quick post, I’m now in touch with Clive Hughes, so that matter has been resolved now and the book is winging its way over.

Thanks for that info ukwannabe.

I think that High Wing Drifter’s comment is quite prolific, in the sense that due to the wealth of information available, it can be difficult to find, especially for the ‘newbie’ if you’re not overtly sure what the question may be (without wanting to sound too sci-fi).

That said, the more you read, the more you learn – therefore allowing one to distinguish the wood for trees.

It is very interesting, the debates that can be had and are being, with the added value of everybody’s opinions when it comes to training and the hurdles that are encountered…

- To loan or not to loan
- Where to train and benefits / draw-backs thereof
- Integrated or Modular
- Type Rating or not

And so on… With the specific goals in mind of attaining the desired job of an airline pilot.

I’m at the very beginning having only completed 3 trial flights and therefore these are all important questions / decisions to be made.

If anyone has advice they’d like to sure, it’d be most appreciated.

All the Best,

MM :cool: