PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod Over Sheffield

bigflesh2005
12th May 2005, 17:40
Hi all,

What appeared to be an RAF Nimrod was seen circling the "south Sheffield" area at about 5pm today. It seemed to make 3 or 4 wide circuits of the "Dronfield" area at approx 3000 feet, before clearing the area at low altitude (approx 3000ft). The aircraft flew directly over the centre of Sheffield and cleared the area on a northerley heading.

It seems very strange that an aircraft of this size would be observed at such low altitude.

Anyone have any info on it - i.e what it was doing, where from, where to and what it actually was?

Regards

Big05

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th May 2005, 17:46
Unidentified submarine on the River Sheaf apparently...

foghorn
12th May 2005, 17:58
I thought they'd demolished the eggboxes already:confused: :}

bigflesh2005
12th May 2005, 18:00
good one Heathrow Director, but I would like a serious answer to a serious question........... twoz very low and kind of filled me with excitement. Can the controller (I assume Manchester ATZ) who authorised this send some more this way - and can I also request Ottringham to Upton/denby westbound arrivals into MCR be vectored about 20 miles south of the airway (so I can see em' from my living room northerley facing window).... ta. Sad i know, but seriously sad.

i am still wanting information on rodney nimrod....if indeed it was....

what it was doing (ok it wasnt sailing was it), where from, where to and what it actually was?

A good headin
12th May 2005, 18:59
Having flown on a number of 'Dimsod' sorties over the years, I know exactly what the crew were really trying to sniff out. Curry.

This part of Yorkshire is famous for its curries. RAF 'Dimsod' aircrew like curries, that is why they are all fat.

You will find E3D and VC10 crews are much the same, so keep on spotting if you live in Yorkshire.

.........chapati anyone?:D

bigflesh2005
12th May 2005, 19:23
arrrh, come on gang... whats this.... an assembly of bored ATC Officers on their coffee break, taking the schmichael! at least you guys have proved you has a sence of humour for once (owww, sorry bout that).... but come on gang - i wanna know why the Rodney Nimrod was circling at 30 this afternoon............................ surely bradford would have been better for curries?

Maybe it was awaiting transition through sheffield city airport zone - maybe the police helicopter was in the way (SY99) or maybe there was a lot of a/c westbound into manchester/westbound out of DSA or eastbound into DSA?

please please please someone must know what Rodney the Nimrod was up 2!!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th May 2005, 20:02
Do you honestly expect a straight answer, given that it was a military aircraft......?

JimmyTAP
13th May 2005, 08:19
Nimrod MRA4 ZJ518 on its way to Woodford I would guess.

JT

mgdaviso
13th May 2005, 10:32
I did a dimrod sortie back in '03 and we did a low level transit over the north east testing and training with a new "piece of kit".

keithl
13th May 2005, 11:30
WIWON we went to some trouble NOT to tell everybody what we were doing, so who is Bigflesh that he expects to be told?

Actually, that's one of the reasons I got myself posted to the 'rod - I wanted to find out what they were doing. Didn't really work, though, most of the time I'd no idea what was going on - as FE Hoppy , JimNich , Skeleton and possibly others will testify!!

Ronaldsway Radar
13th May 2005, 12:18
"Can the controller (I assume Manchester ATZ) who authorised this send some more this way - and can I also request Ottringham to Upton/denby westbound arrivals into MCR be vectored about 20 miles south of the airway (so I can see em' from my living room northerley facing window)"

Was that just some humour or were you really asking Manchester to re-route inbounds past your window??

bigflesh2005
13th May 2005, 17:01
JimmyTAP

Why was it circling first though..? very odd.. thank you for filling me in anyway Jimmy and thanks to all of you who tried your best to "not tell me"... the truth will out!

My request to Manchester ATC was serious, although I doubt it will be upheld. Sometimes, just sometimes (especially in the summer at 2am onwards) I get westbound arrivals doing a direct to MCR and I see them coming over south sheffield desending through fl50 for 40, usually in a line with Eckington, Norton, Edale, Castleton for an 8 mile 24R/L arrival. But never at other times.

Still keen to know why the Nimmy was doing circuits over my head for 15 minutes? was it waiting to transit through SHEFFIELD CITY AIRPORT airspace as it was only at 3000ft....and MCR ATZ, send some more 20 miles south of Upton - for me - for a laugh. Go on as I will see from my living room north facing windows in my house. If its getting a bit dark I will see the lights on the aerocrafts flashing, and that will be simply brilliant for me.

WIWON we went to some trouble NOT to tell everybody what we were doing, so who is Bigflesh that he expects to be told?

Who is WIWON - has his post been removed as it shed further light on the Nimrod that was circling above my head?..... I just wanna know because I share a joint facination in aerocraft. I am a harmless plane lover thats all. PLEASE HELP me.

Gary Lager
13th May 2005, 19:23
Ha ha ha -

WIWO[Insert initial here]: the first clue that someone is about to tell you something either
a) that happened before you were born
b) irrelevant
c) more commonly, both of the above

Most frequently used with:
T:Tridents (Ahhh) or L:Lightnings (for those in the Military)

Or as perfectly demonstrated by keithl. Textbook stuff.

JimmyTAP
13th May 2005, 19:24
No idea really. Only that a Nimrod arrived at Woodford late afternoon and they often go over Sheffield on the way to Woodford.

JT

BOAC
13th May 2005, 19:26
Purleez do NOT mention Tridents or they'll all come out of the woodwork:D

PS Lightnings :ok:

Pierre Argh
13th May 2005, 19:32
Why do Nimrods park with their bomb bay doors open?

It makes it easier to empty out all the sweet wrappers and crisp bags.

bigflesh2005
13th May 2005, 20:26
Nice one and thank you. It went northbound at 5.15pm after circling for 15 mins. Deffo looked like a Nimrod due to the wing thingies. It must have turned left westbound shortly after passing directly over the city centre at 3000ft, or gone up to Upton.

Nice one but would love to know why it was in the "random hold" nowhere near a VOR or NDB. Do you think it came from Waddington?

LS2002
13th May 2005, 21:16
The ManchesterSpotters2 mailing list has a report of a Nimrod landing at Woodford at 17:28.

If the Manchester zone was busy it would have needed to hold just the same as any other aircraft.

~ lee ~

walesjr
13th May 2005, 22:22
TimBrown, Is that the old St Mawgan joke from when the hemp ( When I say hemp I mean Sh1tty brown!!) bombers used to park on South?

ILS 119.5
14th May 2005, 22:41
Probably worked Waddington LARS before being transferred to Manchester.

bagpuss lives
15th May 2005, 10:53
'Twas indeed the WFDxx Nimrod on it's way back to Woodford.

Squadgy
16th May 2005, 12:28
Was this the one that's been over at Norwich having a paint job on the way back?

helicopter-redeye
21st May 2005, 18:57
It was overhead the Rother Valley Lakes 4nm South of EGSY for about 20 mins.

Rumours abounded locally of a German U Boat being spotted on the lower lake heading North .......

Skeleton
26th May 2005, 23:24
KeithL knew perfectly well what to do in a Nimrod...

Everyone else just flew it the wrong way..

Mind you if he could teach a daft air traffiker AAR in the sim.. he had to be good.

:E