PDA

View Full Version : How Many Hours did it take you?

Somedaymaybe
12th May 2005, 17:16
Just purely a Question, so I can take a look at the rest of the country, and see how other fellow students did.

How long did it take you in hrs to complete your PPL?

(Including skills test and the rest)

SDM
:ok:

The Greaser
12th May 2005, 17:42
Fifty Four - FAA PPL

YYZ
12th May 2005, 19:29

Might of been better putting this question under "Private Flying" though?

YYZ:8

Sky Wave
12th May 2005, 22:48
45hr 05mn Lucky the skills test wasn't 10 minutes shorter!

cjam
12th May 2005, 22:55
Fifty five I think....it doesn't mean a thing tho, Chichester took that long to go solo and was one of the finest and most respected pilots/navigators of all time.

High Wing Drifter
13th May 2005, 06:49
JAA - 47 hours and 57 minutes all in over six months.

Don't put this under Private Flying unless you want to be hung up on a meat hook and left to cure whilst they decide what to serve you up with :ouch: ;)

HomerJay
13th May 2005, 07:13
Had the PPL on the button 45.0

Sensible
13th May 2005, 07:38
45.6 hrs in the USA within a 3 week time frame - can't easily be done in the UK though! - Got the license in three weeks, but been practising for some few years since and still not perfected the art!

Foz2
13th May 2005, 08:33
45 hours on the nail for the course and then 1.7 for the test. I took 5 months from November to March.

Foz

PilotOnline
13th May 2005, 08:42
45.1 hrs for the training and about 1.8 for the test over exactly 12 months...because I jinx the weather in the UK every time I have a plane booked!

Piltdown Man
13th May 2005, 09:32
16 hours, but it took six months - the weather was rubbish! (A Silver C from gliding reduced the legal minimum to something like 11 hours dual and three hous solo - but omitted the tests.

Megaton
13th May 2005, 09:43
CAA PPL 40 hrs 35 mins. Grrr what a waste of 35 mins!

Blinkz
13th May 2005, 10:04
16hrs from a Silver C? how you manage that? or is it a NPPL? the JAA PPL will only credit you 10 hours towards your PPL.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th May 2005, 10:43
I really don't see the relevance of this question, or am I missing something?

High Wing Drifter
13th May 2005, 11:21
I really don't see the relevance of this question, or am I missing something?
Human interest. Nothing wrong with that :p

Whipping Boy's SATCO
13th May 2005, 12:43
38 - in the days where the requirement was 38.

cosworth211
13th May 2005, 12:44
48hrs, completed over 5 months, while studying also at university.

Hows about average exam scores?

Mine was 98.5% or something.

Blinkz
13th May 2005, 14:38
Sorry for causing any upset :sad: Like High Wing Drifter said I was just curious.

I myself have just passed my skill test (yesturday!) and did it in 61hrs 15mins. It would have been less but I got a partial the first time so had to spend another 3-4 practicing my emergencies lol.

Exam success was something like 98% as well.

Gillespie
13th May 2005, 16:20
got mine in 45 hours within 1 month of damn hard work!

Dude~
13th May 2005, 17:47
Are we talking PPL exams or ATPL exams?

Gillespie
13th May 2005, 19:32
DUDE~

ATPL exams take about 750 hours of study.....I'd eat my hat if someone can do them in 45!

EOD
13th May 2005, 20:25
38hrs,over about 8 months.

Whirlygig
13th May 2005, 23:57
Isn't it funny that most who have posted on here are very close to the minimum requirements? Which is not a true reflection of the general averages.

So, to buck the trend; 67 hours for PPL(H).

It is not a particularly good indicator of how good a pilot you are or will be. In fact, there is much anecdotal evidence to suggest that the longer one took, the better pilot they may be in the long term. There are many other factors including the attitude of your instructor or school, whether part time (over how long?) or full time etc.

As for exam marks - you pass. That is all that is required. I could tell you my average but, as a girl, I don't have a willy to wave.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Sensible
14th May 2005, 08:30
Whirlygig,It is not a particularly good indicator of how good a pilot you are or will be I have to disagree, based on my own experience, I don't think that I was anything like properly trained after minimum hours. I didn't had any "mishaps" so I suppose that I was trained after a fashion but I needed a lot more dual especially in the instrument flying department since I very nearly had a nasty end flying into inadvertent IMC conditions shortly after obtaining my PPL. I believe that incident would have been less likely to have occurred if I was better trained both in practical flying and by way of ground school to be able to identify the conditions to avoid.

It is my belief that a lot of PPL's do not continue to fly once they have their license simply because they cannot justify flying around their home airport like a fly around a jam pot and are somewhat nervous of longer excursions which pose threats of encountering bad weather and getting lost etc. On the other hand, longer training would be likely to put a lot of people off of training in the first place on cost grounds. So, the choice is to put a post solo student in the air with a license and leave him/her to learn by experience or ensure that they have additional training under supervision and give them the license after their instructor/examiner feels that they are adequately trained. Just my opinion.

High Wing Drifter
14th May 2005, 08:46
It is not a particularly good indicator of how good a pilot you are or will be.
Agreed! Far too many variables.

In fact, there is much anecdotal evidence to suggest that the longer one took, the better pilot they may be in the long term.
I image only if the rigour is commensurate with extra time taken.

I could tell you my average but, as a girl, I don't have a willy to wave.
Can the same be said for Air Transilvania?

Future Pundit
14th May 2005, 08:49
37 hours for a JAR PPL in 2002. Used the 10 hrs gliding credit.

Blinkz
The gliding credit was greatly reduced a number of years ago with regards to the JAR licence (I think when JAR was introduced), I do not know about the NPPL. It is now a minimum of 35 hours for a JAR licence and a Silver 'C'

Charlie Zulu
14th May 2005, 13:12
My CAA PPL(A) was completed in 75 Hours including about 20 Hours PIC (lots of Solo circuits whilst waiting for decent cross country weather).

Then it took me a few more hours than most people to grasp the VFR Navigation side of flying. Well the theory was fine it was just putting it into practice!!!

Average exam results lets see (from memory so may be a little out)...

Aircraft Technical: 72%
Meteorology: 85%
Air Law: 85%
Navigation: 95%
Radiotelephony: 95%
Human Factors: 95%

Umm so that gives me an average of 87%

Pass mark for PPL exams eight years ago in the CAA days was 70%.

Piltdown Man
15th May 2005, 09:33
As somebody has asked, 16 hours for what was called a PPL (1987?) God knows what it is called now. Can remember first lessons, I was a lot happier when the engine was not working - I knew where I was then!

Great fun hiring planes with less than 40 hours in your book.

G-ANDY
15th May 2005, 16:34
What...........you need a license???

Ha ha, just joking! 45 hours and a minute!

airborne_artist
17th May 2005, 09:17
I met a guy a few years back who had an RAF Flying Scholarship back in about 1955. The scholarship was for 30 hours, as that was then the PPL min req. He got the PPL on the button, and aged 17 and 5 weeks was the youngest ever UK PPL holder for a while.

jsf
18th May 2005, 16:37
Whirlygig

I could tell you my average but, as a girl, I don't have a willy to wave.

Fantastic comment!

jsf

Leezyjet
25th May 2005, 00:10
Just done mine in April.

42 hours on the dot, passed in 19 days (15 flying, 4 ground school).

Didn't feel confident though from passing in such a short time, but went on one of Irv Lee's seminar days last Friday which has given me a much needed confidence boost although he did say that alot of new PPL's don't feel confident and that they have somehow cheated the system to pass.

:cool: