PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Problem

bantios
12th May 2005, 12:03
Any flight control problem stories from anyone?

Had one last week.

Both Ailerons sticking up half way, GRD and FLT spoilers 50% up.

Was a B_tch to fly. But got there eventually.

Dr Illitout
13th May 2005, 20:07
O.K. you got me interested. Tell the whole story. What was the aircraft. What was the circumstance!!!!!

Rgds Dr.I.

Rainboe
13th May 2005, 22:07
Flight controls en masse doing uncommanded actions is a major emergency. Should you have 'got there eventually'? I'm one for continuing if you have a problem under control, but as you describe it- this exceeds that situation! You're not a simmer are you?

Ignition Override
15th May 2005, 04:45
About 15 years ago in a DC-9 we took off and at about 500' AGL the airplane began to slowly yaw from side to side. The Captain took control of the plane (he had experienced it once before) and decided quickly that we would level off on downwind and return, with the emergency equipment standing by. Went fast through climb, in-range and approach checklists. Weather was perfect, mid-morning (at TYS). We both forgot that there was a procedure in the COM for "uncontrolled rudder", or whatever it was called. But he did pull back the Rudder Power Lever, which removed right hydraulic system pressure. The only slight hang-up is that the final approach speed is at a minimum of 135 (or Vref+5, if higher), until landing assured. He also switched off the yaw damper. The yawing was smooth and not constant. On final, there were no more incommanded rudder movements. At the gate, using a "cherry picker" stand, we never figured out if it was the yaw damper or a combination of anomaliesA few planes had a water leak into the gear wells, from wet carpet under the overwing exits. The ailerons would almost freeze in flight-those planes descended to lower, warmer altitudes. Guess they kept under control using autopilots and flight spoilers.

A buddy in a Connie Kalitta Learjet declared an emergency to Boston (BOS) Departue control. They had uncommanded fuel transfer into wing tip tanks! They decided to immediately land at a high speed, around 180 knots :uhoh:, John told me. Much slower could have meant a loss of roll control. I'll bet they got on the brakes really fast and hard. Learjet technical reps never figured out what went wrong.

Cardinal
15th May 2005, 23:24
Oddly, our organization (B1900) has had a couple in the past few months. One fellow reported the ailerons to be "stiff" in all phases of flight, with the yoke well out of neutral to keep the wings level. Inspection revealed the cable on one side had completely departed the pulley.

A more serious incident happened a bit later. After a very windy day (40kt gusts) without the rudder lock installed, the aircraft departed. The captain applied just a bit of rudder application prior to YD engagement, and his foot went all the way to the floor, without any resistance or aircraft response. Came back around and landed without a problem. A large bellcrank thingy under the cokcpit floor in the rudder control circuit had broken, leaving the crew with zero rudder control. In a straight wing airplane, not the end of the world as long as Pratt & Whitney keep their promise. A serious debacle if an engine packs it in. Later inspection revealed that another aircraft had the exact same problem that day, but was discovered prior to it's departure.