PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Baggage Weight?

Sunfish
11th May 2005, 23:09
According to a mate yesterday, QF is weighing carry on luggage at check-in for international flights. He believes he was told that this is to get a more accurate weight for fuel saving reasons.

Any truth in this?

rammel
11th May 2005, 23:38
It is a safety issue as I think the carry on limit for y cls is 1 pc at 7kg. Would you want a piece of 7kg or more falling and hitting you on the head when someone opens up the locker after a flight, I think not. I am pretty sure the rules are different for QF Club and First and Business cls but the weight per piece is the same.

Aside from the safety issue I may seem cynical but it could also be one more way to lift their excess charges.

Hope this helps.

stiffwing
12th May 2005, 01:33
From time to time, QF conduct studies re standard weights. I think this is just another way of gleaning information regarding this. FYI, QF recently updated (increased) their standard weights used in calculating loadsheet values.
The restriction on in-cabin baggage weight may also be an OH & S issue.. The company is being driven by this at the moment !!

The Riddler
12th May 2005, 01:34
Recent memo to all QF Cabin & Flight Crews reminding them of cabin baggage limits. Crews being told they will have to pay excess baggage if over the limits whilst on staff and duty travel.

All in the name of fuel savings.

Trash Hauler
12th May 2005, 02:21
I flew QF SYD-LAX and LHR-SYD in the last week. My carry on bags were not weighed on either flight.

greybeard
12th May 2005, 02:30
On a recent departure ex Perth, the LARGE and EXTREEMLY UNPLEASANT security person at the entrance to immigration weighed my hand baggage, was "over" 1 Kg and was told to sort it out as I was going no further with THAT BAG.

Took out the camera and a book, put in my pocket and "you can go now".

The weight and size of some cabin baggage is quite scary, and even if you pass that check, you can buy duty free after the check so it really is P&*^^% in the wind and an excuse for the lower life forms to be abusive to all and sundry.

As for statistical weights, the figure has in recent times been upped I believe.

In a previous life at Yulara we would NOT weigh the German tourists, but weigh the Japanese, by twos as they would not allow anyone to know their weight and get more fuel etc.
All part of the fun

C YA

:ok: :ok:

Capt Fathom
12th May 2005, 03:11
They can't charge you 'excess' on cabin baggage. If it is over the weight limit, you will have to repack some of it into your hold bag to reduce the weight. If you don't have a hold bag, then your in strife!

rammel
12th May 2005, 03:56
Sorry, but I should clarify the excess statement. Yes QF does not charge excess on hand luggage, although if you have two carry on pieces then you need to check the 2nd one in and all of a sudden you now have two checked bags instead of one. They then sting you for excess on the 2nd piece. eg if it is 3kg to SIN it is approx $25 per kilo.

Also the pax standard weights have been updated recently, but I do not think that there was an increase in the carry on weight allowed. The carry on weight is included in the standard pax weight used for the sector.

Laikim Liklik Susu
12th May 2005, 05:43
Never had my carry on weighed, or size scutinized either, but then again I NEVER travel QF. :p

I have had my carry on explosive tested more often than seems random - I must look like the type! :{

Chronic Snoozer
12th May 2005, 05:43
Travelling in Oz recently, I booked a frequent flyer point flight Cairns - Brisvegas. This flight is operated by Jetstar. I got stung for excess weight because J* use a 20kg limit whereas Q generally let you get away with 25kg. I was miffed because, having travelled all the way around the world, I get gipped in Australia of all places for being over luggage weights. My carry-on was a problem too! Jetstar use different rules even though they're doing a flight on Q codeshare. (This is a con because you get less value for your FF points.)

Nowhere, and I travel extensively in Europe and Asia, have I ever had hand luggage weighed before except on this flight. Even more frustrating was the fact that $50 later you board to a half empty aircraft. The 7kg carry-on limit per bag, is that for real? How come some airlines stipulate 10kg on exactly the same types? What a crock! I just want consistency between airlines, is that too much to ask?

rammel
12th May 2005, 06:45
Taken from QF website

Carry on Baggage
Baggage for Children & Infants Passenger Security Measures For the safety and comfort of all our customers, and to ensure compliance with Civil Aviation Safety Authority Regulations, it is necessary to limit the size, weight and number of each customers carry on baggage.

A charge will apply for any baggage carried in excess of the free allowance. Additional collection rates vary depending on the destination.

Personal articles such as an overcoat, handbag, umbrella, walking stick, small camera, duty free items and some reading matter for the flight may be carried in the cabin.

Passengers (except infants) on Qantas are allowed the following carry on baggage:

Route Piece Allowance & Dimensions Weight Allowance
Australian and New Zealand Domestic All Classes:
2 x 105cm (41in) bags or
1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or
1 x 115cm (45in) bag 7kg (15lbs) per piece
Dash 8 1 x 105cm (41in) bag 4kg (9lbs) total
All International First/Business:
2 x 115cm (45in) bags or
1 x 115cm (45in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag
Economy:
1 x 115cm (45in) bag or
1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag 7kg (15lbs) per piece

Note: USA exception
Carry on baggage limits have changed for passengers in all classes within and from the US, due to government regulations. Passengers may only carry on one bag plus a personal item - such as a purse, briefcase, backpack or similar - per passenger. Medical assistance items (crutches, wheelchairs, etc) are exempt from this requirement. These limits are strictly enforced at all airport security checkpoints and on board departing Qantas flights. This new limitation only impacts on the allowance for First and Business Class customers. Economy Class limits are unaffected.

All Flights
In addition to the carry on baggage referred to above, the following items may be carried free of charge:

Infants food for consumption in flight and infants carry basket*,
A fully collapsible wheelchair* and/or a pair of crutches and/or walking stick and/or other prosthetic device for you if you are dependent on them.
* Infants carry baskets and wheelchairs may be used to board the aircraft, then will be stowed in the aircraft hold.
Laptop computers are a special item, which may be carried as carry on baggage subject to a number of conditions. They:

Must conform to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations
Must be totally noiseless. (Use of printers inflight will not be permitted)
Must not be used during take-off and landing
Must not interface with the aircraft's power supply; and
Are subject to x-ray inspections on departure
At Australian international and domestic terminals laptop computers will be subject to an additional security check. Before x-raying, the laptop computer must be removed from its carry case. All items will then be x-rayed separately. If the screener is unable to satisfy that the computer does not contain a weapon or explosive device, it is to be subjected to trace detection.

In terms of carry on baggage allowance, laptop computers and small video camera units constitute one carry on bag equivalent.

Sorry for the lengthy post but it seemed the best way to explain it. On top of this it does vary from airline to airline so you may have hassles on one part of a codeshare but not the other.