PDA

View Full Version : CPL(A) Groundschool

Pilotage
11th May 2005, 13:22
Easy question, probably a difficult answer.

What are the relative merits of CAT at Cranfield and GTS at Bournemouth for somebody looking to do a CPL(A) groundschool.

Oh yes, and I have done a search from previous topics - which all concentrate on the ATPL course (and inevitably also compare to other schools who don't seem to do CPL only), and I don't want an ATPL.

For that matter, is there anywhere else doing the CPL only groundschool course that I may have missed?

P

Flying Boat
11th May 2005, 13:27
Try AFT in Coventry www.flyaft.com (http://www.flyaft.com) they do only CPL(A) as well as IR, ATPL, CPL(H) groundschool, or at least did when I was there.

From what I remember, the CPL coursework closely follows the ATPL coursework, in the coressponding subjects, if you want to do the IR you need to do another 7 or 8 subjects, that is why most people do the ATPL sylabus.

Give them a shout, now they write the Jeppesen ATPL notes, so must be good.

FB

Keygrip
11th May 2005, 15:26
Also Ground Training Sevices at Bournemouth.

01202 572953 will get you there.

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2005, 15:28
Pilotage said
and GTS at Bournemouth
G

<<edit: Bugger>>

Turbine King
12th May 2005, 08:55
I would seriously consider CATS. I did my CPL there and im now doing my ATPL's with them and i can only say good things.

The study guides are excellent and are full colour and the web training is very handy when your a distance learner (Especally as Stuart never seems to sleep!!!;) ) and the brush-ups are very informative.

Give them a shout, now they write the Jeppesen ATPL notes, so must be good.

I think you will find that the new Jeppesen books are just old Four Forces notes with glossy covers and a bit of re-editting by AFT. So maybe not so good, Sorry

mikeo
12th May 2005, 10:39
As with all these choises where ever you do your CPL theory and you pass then you will think that it is great!

Having said that, when I was looking there are only 3 places that actually do the CPL(A) theory - most places try to push the ATPL(A).

I chose GTS for the following reasons:
1. They let you pay in installments (3 modules)
2. They offer the most taught ground school (one week for each module)
3. They have very experienced instructors (20+ years flying each)
4. They were the only ones to send me a sample of the course material when I asked.

I have just sat my last 3 exams (10th and 11th May) at Gatwick - so fingers crossed. I am working full time, have family to support and have passed all the exams first time (so far - fingers crossed).

And of course I would recommend them - it is really great to be able to ask them any question and they can give you an answer immediately based on their flying experiences. E.g. Dave, an ex-RAF CFI / Jaguars / Lightnings / etc was explaining about gas turbine engine surge and recalled how a flame shot out of the front right intake of his Jaguar during a surge at 450kts!

:ok:

Flying Boat
12th May 2005, 10:51
Turbine King

I hope you check all your facts before flying better than you do before posting!

The AFT ATPL notes were researched and re-written from AFT GS notes thoroughly for well over a year, the GS working 6 - 7 days a week to make sure they were the best notes ever, lots of original diagrams and photos.

How do I know?

I was training with AFT until last August, ATPLs, CPL, MEIR & MCC.

Never seen so much conscientious work put into a project.

The telephone bills must have been astronomical with all the telephoning to experts in different fields around the world.

Hope you study your ATPLs better.

FB:mad:

final2land
12th May 2005, 11:46
I was with mikeo on the recent CPL groundschool at GTS and agree with all he says. They concentrate on teaching the subject really well and the exam prep is really good.

Personal attention is fantastic - small classroom numbers of 2 or 3 people - always with an instructor there (you're not just left to work through stuff on your own). They are flexible and respond well to individual needs.

On the distance learning side they respond usually within about an hour to emails and mark assignments equally quickly.

Highly recommended:D

Turbine King
12th May 2005, 11:49
The AFT ATPL notes were researched and re-written from AFT GS notes thoroughly for well over a year,

AFT GS Notes = Four Forces version 1 notes

Maybe YOU should do a little more research before posting:rolleyes:

Hope you study your ATPLs better

Everything first time so far, thanks for asking.

Flying Boat
12th May 2005, 12:07
Simple fact

The AFT notes had already been rewritten, yes they perhaps started as 4 forces to begin, but were not before the Jeppesen Books and are definitely not now!

If you are so knowledgable, let us all know how YOU know so much about the details of AFT!

Well done with the ATPLs, you are at least getting something right.

:*

Genghis the Engineer
12th May 2005, 12:55
Dave, an ex-RAF CFI / Jaguars / Lightnings / etc was explaining about gas turbine engine surge and recalled how a flame shot out of the front right intake of his Jaguar during a surge at 450kts!
Had one do something similar when I was sat in the back of a T2a during a flight test once, bloody frightening.

G

OpenCirrus619
12th May 2005, 13:17
I did my CPL(A) ground school distance learning course with CATS.

Why did I pick CATS? When I phoned around the schools Stuart at CATS just sounded so enthusiatic about eveything.

I found the notes, progress tests, week ground schools, ..... really well presented and effective - it certainly worked for me (all 9 first time).

I don't think you could find any other school where they will put more effort in / where necessary give extra one-on-one tuition.

The best suggestion I can make is to arrange to go and visit each school - its a lot of money to spend without going and taking a look in person.

Oh - the comment about taking the ATPLs if you are thinking of doing an IR in the next couple of years is definitely worth considering.

OC619

P.S. I'm feeling positive about EVERYTHING today - I passed my CPL skill test on Tuesday :cool:

Captain Ratpup
13th May 2005, 09:19
Incidentally, what are the differences in subjects between ATPL and CPL?

OpenCirrus619
13th May 2005, 10:06
Captain Ratpup,

Take a look at http://www.cranfieldaviation.co.uk/training.htm - the links for the various courses give quite a lot of info.

OC619