PDA

View Full Version : Sharing programs within XP

roach
11th May 2005, 13:04
Our home PC is shared by five of us, all with admin rights. I have recently added a program while logged on as one user to find that I can not access it from any other user. Also my printer works fine with all users but the scanning/copying facility which appears and opens under all users will not work..it says to check the connection.
How do I make all programs etc available to all?
Thanks in advance for any replies

Saab Dastard
11th May 2005, 18:23
Roach,

Assuming that you are using fast switching, this may be helpful:

Some Programs May Not Create Shortcuts for All of the Fast User Switching Users (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301494)

This might also suggest other lines of attack.

Another thing - if you log in as "Administrator" - not a user with admin rights, you should be able to install the program for all users.

SD

All Ahead Full
12th May 2005, 13:24
Looks like as Saab mentions, that installing the program as an administrator is the first port of call.

Failing that - make sure you are logged in as an adminisrator - check by looking at the properties of your account under the User Accounts icon in Control panel.

Assuming that your are - copy the relevant icon to one of the following places using Windows Explorer.

c:\documents and settings\AllUsers\Desktop

AND/OR

c:\documents and settings\AllUsers\StartMenu.

This will make the relevant icons appear on the Desktop/Start Menu respectively.