PDA

View Full Version : NVidia Jerky DVD Playback in WMP

DeepC
10th May 2005, 14:36
Can anyone shed any light on the following problem....

When playing DVDs with subtitles on or when a DVD has a menu that includes video the DVD playback sound and video jerk and become pretty much unwatcheable.

I am running a AMD 1500+ (Windows XP Home SP2) with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and the DVD decoding is with NVDVD.

There are lots of threads about this on Google but nothing that seems to work. I have tried uninstalling the secondary IDE channel and letting windows reinstall it. I have downloaded the latest NVidia drivers for my video card.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

DeepC

Tonic Please
11th May 2005, 00:52
Try these.

• Click Start, click Run, and then type desk.cpl in the Open box. Or, right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties.
• On the Settings tab, move the screen resolution slider to 800 X 600.
• Select 16-bit for the color quality, and then click OK.

Some display drivers cannot support DVD playback at higher resolutions and color depths. If this solution works, by using an updated driver, you may be able to play the DVD at higher color depths and resolutions.

Do you have S/PDIF enabled? Try disabling it and using analog out just for testing. Audio cards can cause video skipping as well.

Goto settings on desktop. right click got advanced settings - make sure the MX5200 GeForce is setup for DVD playing.

Try this utility.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/reclock.html

Good luck and report back :)

DeepC
11th May 2005, 09:11
Tonic Please,

Many thanks.

I have tried all of the above except....

Do you have S/PDIF enabled? Try disabling it and using analog out just for testing. Audio cards can cause video skipping as well. Goto settings on desktop. right click got advanced settings - make sure the MX5200 GeForce is setup for DVD playing.

My card is an FX5200 not a MX5200 and I can find no reference to setting up for DVD playing. Where can I disable S/PDIF?

The DVD which I am currently using to test it on is the '10 Years Later with Jools Holland' DVD. It contains a menu with video playing which causes it to stutter. Also when I select sub-titles at any time during the DVD it stutters.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

DeepC

DeepC
12th May 2005, 17:25
Still Hopeful of a PPRuNe Computer Wizard riding to the rescue!

DeepC

Tonic Please
12th May 2005, 19:10
Relax DC. I'm doing what I can to find a solution!

:ok:

DeepC
12th May 2005, 21:34
Tonic Please,

You are a star. Cheers.

I've searched high and low on numerous forums and of course google and google groups.

Lots of people complaining about the same thing but no clear answers. Something that might be relevant is that I have a Hauppage WinTV card installed. Some posts on forums seem to refer to TV cards. Perhaps the answer lies somewhere there.

Thanks

DeepC

Tonic Please
12th May 2005, 22:44
Read everything first...

1) Get this:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd_downloadtrial.html

2) People seem to claim that WinDVD 6 is better for DVD playback but its 50 US dollars. Screw that eh!

3) Where can I disable S/PDIF?

Browse to the NVIDIA DVD Decoder Properties and select the “Audio” properties page. Click on the “Speaker Setup” button and select “a receiver” and then check “via an S/PDIF cable”.

4) I have found this lot. It's not directly a procedure, but once you understand it all, you'll probably figure out what settings to activate or not in the options/properties page...whatever its called :)

Interlaced content displays a video image as two separate fields. The first field displays every other line of the image and the second field is displayed at a slightly later time complete the image. This matches the way conventional televisions work.

DVDs created from content that was originally viewed on television will likely be interlaced, such as music videos or concerts. VCRs and many camcorders record in an interlaced format since the video is intended to be watched at a later time on a TV.

De-interlacing is the process of taking two interlaced fields and generating a single frame to be viewed on a progressive display, such as a computer monitor.

Bob is a de-interlacing algorithm that displays each field of an interlaced image separately. The missing lines for each field are interpolated from the lines that are present. This is the de-interlace mode used when "display fields separately" is set in the NVDVD Video property page.

Adaptive de-interlacing is a more advanced algorithm that looks at a sequence of frames to determine if an area is still or in motion. For pixels that are still, the fields are simply combined without a blend. If in motion, the fields are blended together. This produces the best visual results but is more computationally intensive.

NVDVD is able to perform adaptive de-interlacing in hardware, which keeps the CPU from performing this intensive task. This maintains smooth DVD playback even when de-interlacing.

5) Switch to the default audio renderer.

Good luck.

DeepC
13th May 2005, 14:59
Tonic Please,

I'll check this out when I get home from work.

Thanks for your hard work.

DeepC

Tonic Please
14th May 2005, 19:50
How goes it mate? :8

Scallywag
15th May 2005, 22:50
Deep C

I had similar problems a couple of years ago on a lower spec machine than yours, and whatever I tried it just couldn't seem to cope.

Someone recommended trying a player that used very little processing power or resources and it actually worked !

I eventually did a format & fresh XP installation to clear all the rubbish away and was able to use whatever player I wanted. However, if you just want something to enable you to watch your movies with subtitles etc. until you resolve your problem then try it out...........it's free. It's called BSplayer and supports most formats.
BSplayer (http://www.bsplayer.org/index.php?p=download&PHPSESSID=1a63fc40109ec7e824891858ca1d9cd7)

DeepC
16th May 2005, 06:59
Tonic Please,

I've played around with all the settings. I have uninstalled and reinstalled NvDVD and played with S/PDIF settings, interlacing settings and other sound settings. I do suspect that it has something to do with my WinTV card and software. I often record off the WinTV card and then play back in WMP. I wonder if this is causing confusion with the interlacing settings.

Anyway, it is still a problem. I will try Scallywag's suggestion and see if that works.

Thanks very much for you continued help on this. If you are ever in the Tempsford area I'll buy you a pint or two.

DeepC

DeepC
16th May 2005, 18:08
Scallywag,

BSPlayer does not play DVDs according to it's FAQs.

Cheers

DeepC

Scallywag
16th May 2005, 23:36
Sorry Deep C, I should rtfq ! I was in MPEG/AVI mode :zzz: