PDA

View Full Version : Tips for 150 Drivers

kimbobimbo
10th May 2005, 14:20
Hello,

I recently got a job flying C150's in an aerial work operation and have never flown this type before. My experience to date is in Grob's based out of Merridan with some twin experience.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding the C150's handling characteristics and if there is anything in particular that I should be aware of.

Fred Gassit
10th May 2005, 16:21
The nosewheel is kinda spindly but its about the safest light aircraft ever isnt it? The sort of plane you can only just kill yourself in, engine was built for low octane juice so a bit of care there and have fun!

EngineOut
10th May 2005, 18:27
Fred, if the engine was built for low octane juice, you would have more safety with higher octane.

What time is ECT?
10th May 2005, 20:37
The flight manual has been arrived at by PROFESSIONAL test pilots. I am not a test pilot. I read the flight manual. I stay alive.

ECT?

Sunfish
10th May 2005, 22:06
Seriously, be VERY VERY CAREFUL with the Flap actuation switch, especially if its the one with the little indicator built in.

Visually check flap movement and watch for uncommanded movement as well.

Sunfish and his instructor almost became one with a gum tree thanks to this little item sticking. Raised flaps during a touch and go following a demonstration precautionary short field landing except flaps stayed at 40 degrees. C150's do not climb well (or at all) in such a configuration, at least not with a lard ass like me on board. C152's have flap travel restricted to 30 degrees.

As for the rest, read the manual inside and out. They also drop a wing a little quicker than some in a stall. Have fun.

185skywagon
10th May 2005, 23:08
if you are doing any aerial mustering in the 150, be very careful. they do bite. perhaps, some of the WA mustering boys could enlighten you.

CoodaShooda
11th May 2005, 00:27
Recall a warning from many moons ago that the 'later' models with the 'drooped' wing tips, if stalled in a power on/flaps down configuration, could flip inverted and require over 1000ft to recover.

7gcbc
11th May 2005, 11:51
Its a few years since I flew one, but agreed, watch for wing drop, the 150 has a tendency to drop a wing in the stall and occasionally you're rolled on your back, but she has a nice large rudder, so at the first sign, whack the rudder opposite the wing, not graceful by anymeans, then again who cares.... :D Honest!

Nosewheel is very fragile, if someone before you has wheelbarrow'd , check for leaks, seepage, any obvious signs of mistreatement.

Nose high (climb out with 10/20 flaps) , if you stall, the torque of the little donkey will also roll you over, another ungraceful solution is to expidite definite and firm opposite rudder, but if at full rpm, she'll roll anyway, so best go idle and recover.

Depending on the model, the 40 degree flap variant can put you firmly behind the "drag curve" on app, (ie. even full rpm won't get you to the threshold, and by then dumping a stage is tricky to say the least, the old 172's had the same issue, great if you are high , tempting fate if you are normal), also beware sideslips with flaps, really you should use no flaps and sideslip, or 10/20 flaps and gentle slip, not lotsa flap and huge 30 degree slips as the fowlers may shade the elevator preventing a swan lake type exit from the slip.

The 150 (IMHO) is underpowered, so don't try anything flash in her, nice A/C, but not rugged because of the nosewheel, shake the wings at 10 mins before each flight if the morning is humid or "dewey", then drain again , if she's old the bladders may have water.

Guy in FL (US) flew one into (onto) trees when I was there and he walked (climbed) away, so they have a good rep and the wings are strong.

if you are mustering, then you must have a LL ? or smilar, I'd get a quick refresher on LL before you go, the 150 has a great low speed range, but that is precarious flying as I'm sure you already know.

also read the operating handbook, and I personally subtract 10% from all TO/Landing performance, on all critical numbers, don't give a fart about cruise, but 480 mtrs versus 430 mtrs can be a big difference on a hot day.

Oh, and congrats and good luck!

:)

Mere Mortal
11th May 2005, 12:34
Check the oil dipstick after every flight. It's the only rocket I've flown where the dipstick can loosen off easily, and throw oil all over the place if the cap locks are worn (99% of them are).

Also the oil level in the morning during the daily can indicate over the maximum, so wipe it everytime and check agian, you will see what I mean.

The only other bit of advice I can give you is keep it in balance. A Kids party balloon can outclimb a 150 on a hot day, even worse when the ball's out a bit(the aeroplanes, not yours!).

It will keep you honest, All the best.
MM

Sunfish
11th May 2005, 21:10
I forgot to add the usual Cessna Homliy - put a handkerchief over the stall warning port before you suck, to avoid the possibility of inhaling a spider or wasp!:O

CoodaShooda
13th May 2005, 00:23
I find the modern view on the old 40 degrees of flap quite interesting.

It wasn't an issue 30 years ago.

The only problem was the top of the manual flap lever lodging in your arm pit and making it difficult to get a hand on the throttle :E

If my failing memory serves, we also side slipped with flap but it wasn't encouraged.

It was wonderful to be dumb and happy :}

tinpis
13th May 2005, 00:42
Quite few years ago tin hadda bash at one them Texas taildragger 152s
Needed a bloody plastic surgeon to get the smile off me face :D

http://www.cessna150-152.com/images/figuli.jpg

Sunfish
13th May 2005, 06:56
40 degrees of flap is just fine for a short field landing, the trouble was the cessna electric flap switch.

Of course if you are doing a full stop a malfunctioning switch is no problem, fix it all on the ground.

If you are doing a touch and go on a long tarmac runway its no problem, just decide to do a full stop.

The trouble comes when you are doing a touch and go or go around on a short gravel strip with obstacles. C150's don't climb very much at all with 40 degrees flap stuck out.

And of course if I'd jiggled it in the air and it then decided to work, then I might not be here. Fault could not be reproduced either.