PDA

View Full Version : Age Limits

foxsports
10th May 2005, 13:53
On most integrated courses there is an age requirement of 18, but i have also head else where that there is a age limit for some of the qualifications that are to be gained during the course I am not totally sure which but it was something like 20-21 for a ATPL or something, If this is the case why would a Integrated provider enrol a cadet who could finish the course under an age limit , there must be a simple explanation to this because i have not heard of any problems of being under age i just wondered if any body could shed some light on this situation

SmilingKnifed
10th May 2005, 14:01
Whilst some jobs will be closed until you're 21, the licence is still valid and you can still build hours (including as an FI if you got the rating). It just means you'll be in a nice position come the 21st birthday!:ok:

Stoney X
10th May 2005, 14:57
You have to be 21 to have an ATPL issued. The intergrated course gets you a CPL, which has an age requirement of 18. To convert a CPL to an ATPL you need 1500 hours, a large number of which need to be in multi-crew aircraft, at night and/or IFR, etc. I would be rather envious of anybody who can do that before they're 21. Of course once you have unfrozen your ATPL you would only use it once somebody lets you captain one of their multi-crew aircraft. Another enviable feat for a 21 year old. Check lasors for details, if you aren't already confused.

Regards
Stoney

peterpann
10th May 2005, 16:12
Ok to ask another question>>>>

If you pass all your exams and get issued a shiny fATPL how many hours per year do you have to do to keep current? and do these hours have to be done in a particular aircraft?

pp

Maude Charlee
10th May 2005, 19:08
Your licence is valid for 7 years from date of issue by licensing authority regardless of whether or not you use it (I think). Your ratings however are a different story and must be revalidated at specific intervals (annually for the IR), or renewed within a longer period of time (5 years for the IR), otherwise they lapse and you have to resit the initial test again with an examiner from the authority rather than a regular FI approved to conduct exams on their behalf. I'll let you guess who is more scary. ;) Pointless having a licence without ratings.

On the subject of age, whilst you need to be 18 to commence training for the ATPL, you are unlikely to be finished training before you are 19 (most integrated courses take approx 14 months or so), and the hours required for the issuing of a full ATPL are unlikely to be earned in much less that 2 years operational flying (CAA limit of 800 hrs annually I believe), so it is unlikely in the extreme that anybody under 21 years of age will be in the position of actually meeting the requirements for a full ATPL. The lack of a full ATPL does not preclude you from working as a First Officer, only as a Commander on multi-crew aircraft.

African Drunk
11th May 2005, 10:07
peterpann your exams remain current until 5 years after your IR expires.

Stoney X
12th May 2005, 08:02
peterpann, I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious here, but you do realise that in terms of licences there is no such thing as an fATPL? Are you referring to somebody with a CPL/IR and passed the ATPL theory, or somebody who has got an ATPL? As Maude Charlee says, it's keeping the ratings current that is important, as without them the licence is nothing more than a piece of paper. Kind of like mine at the moment :(

Regards
Stoney

peterpann
12th May 2005, 22:17
Hi Stoney,

Im refering to if I pass the CPL/IR and have also passed the ATPL theory..... ie if I got on the conveyor belt at FTE and jumped off 14 months down the line how often would I need to fly??? Just info I need so I can tell Mr bank manager

cheers

pp