PDA

View Full Version : New Thomsonfly website, with jobs advertised!

nosedive
9th May 2005, 21:30
You need 1500hrs total or 300hrs on type:

http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/company_221.html

international hog driver
10th May 2005, 06:41
The “new” application is a complete and utter travesty.

The HR people should hang their heads in shame if they could remove them from their posterior first.

Lest see now:

· Huge space for passport photo designed for coneheads--- but almost no space for phone numbers.
· Equal opportunities stuff… first you have provided a photo (oh yeah that’s right). second what’s the difference between White & Irish…. Are they meant to be green?
· Also translates to we need a certain number of minority’s in the pack so we look good even if there are better qualified and experienced candidates out there who happen to be western European.
· Flying Experience….Cat A >5700kg no problems. Cat B <5700kg one hole for one space WTF what about the plenty of people that operate two crew (as per CAA requirements) on multitudes of jets and turboprops below 5.7 oh sorry you don’t count flying little planes even if they do outperform the Boeing fluf.
· Type of initial training… If you have 500 jet or 1000TP as per min entry requirements no body cares how you paid or what you paid for it!
· Hours to first solo/ppl/cpl/atpl blah blah blah….. If you have 500 jet or 1000TP as per min entry requirements no body cares how many hours/sectors etc.
· Sectors to ATPL….. er last time I looked at my licence it had more to do with “EXPERIENCE” and having a type >5700kg. What’s the sector rule if you flew as an FO on say a long haul charter mob say 9hr+ sectors or if worked for a “honeymoon airline” (before you ask – think about it)
· Medical Questionnaire….. Are you taking any form of Medication??? Not yet but after completing this form I will definitely need something!
· OH and BTW we need to interview you next week on minimal notice because we cant find the right crew in our previous assessments (event though most of them could fly the sim but not fill out the paperwork) because we are hiring for NEXT SUMMER (06) yet it aint summer here yet!

Honestly this is one of the worst application forms I have seen. The jobsworthys who put it together have no idea, it appears that low cost is also applied to the HR department now.
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :ugh:

StudentInDebt
10th May 2005, 09:26
Take it you won't be applying then :bored:

MAX
10th May 2005, 11:29
Thomsonfly dont like moaners. Seems their filtering process is working quite well.:p

MAX:cool:

timzsta
10th May 2005, 14:49
Amazing.........

People moan for months, years, that there are no jobs.

Jobs become available.

Then they moan they don't like the application form.

Some people are destined never to make it....

international hog driver
10th May 2005, 15:39
So to disappoint but I already have a much better job.

As to the application, BMI’s is also pdf based and much better, some of the others I have seen from Asian airlines are much more succinct in sorting the chaff from the wheat, in about 3 pages.

I’m sorry but in the world of professional aviation, this is the worst application form I have seen in a very long time.

Oh and timzsta I've had a professional licence for 10yrs+, maybe if you spent more time working and less time posting you might make it too :ooh: :{ :ooh:

Basically 13 pages of drivel, poorly laid out and poorly presented:yuk:

ukwannabe
10th May 2005, 18:02
Is mr hog looking for a rise, surely no one can be that obvious. If not then the alternative given his profile is very disturbing.
If you find the application form too complicated or demanding, then theirs always macdonalds. Personally I think from my limited knowledge and experience, that to secure a job with Thomsonfly, then you would be very fortunate.

AMEX
10th May 2005, 19:53
:D MAX... Brit doesn't like moaners then ;).
Give me a call and I'll tell you what put a great smile on my face when I turned up in the crewroom today!

yeoman
10th May 2005, 21:14
So why, Mr International, high speed, FO distrusting, super qualified Hog Driver and A##s, were you perusing the aforementioned application form? Just curious.:E

international hog driver
10th May 2005, 22:40
It was not for me.

Belonged to an FO who is desparate for hours. He too was having a damm good laugh!

This crowd needs to think outside the square more often and understand that there is a lot more to this profession than what you have in Euroland.

When you've done a max duty day back of the clock with a politically appointed FO into a third world airport with almot zero servicable ground aids and a black hole approach.

Then and only then you will understand the handle!:E :E

gtaflyer
11th May 2005, 09:53
max

hi its flyer here so you did not take the 777?

timzsta
11th May 2005, 13:36
Mr Hog - my working day at the time you suggested I "do some work" instead of posting on here.

0700 Get up, shower etc, drive to first job.
0800-1400 Multi-drop driver for parcel company.
1400-1430 Drive to old mans office
1430-1700 Old Man's PA (his PA only does mornings). In between answering the phone and sorting out orders etc I downloaded the application form and filled most of it in.
1700 Go home. Get changed. Email friend who flies for airline in question to get some tips for what they like on the application form.
1800-2359 Deliver Pizza's.

Repeat five days a week plus a shift doing Pizza deliveries at weekend. These are the hours you have to work these days to pay off the loans you need to get a license.

I have just done another on-line application this afternoon for an airline down in Gatwick.

I have an interview with a regional airline in July.

AMEX
11th May 2005, 18:06
The application might be crap (I haven't checked it) but Thomsonfly/Britannia is not an airline for desperate FOs.
It is a career move and a long term one with that.

If this prospective FO can be bothered to look beying the application form stage and find out what the airline is about and what it has been offering for the past 50 years or so then, maybe then he might look at his present situation and laugh pathetically at himself.

Sorry to be like that but like you said Hog, this FO ... needs to think outside the square more often .

As to flying in Africa, quite a few of us have done it and are now merrily enjoying flying around Europe for a decent company and sticking to high safety standards.
No more... You do or you get the sack. No more... my bollocks are bigger than yours. No more waiting for my salary to come onto my bank account. No more out of a job everytime the boss does a runner or such country change president/goes to war/didn't gets his bribe.

Thomsonfly/Britannia is a career, a very comfortable one specially after having done the African scene.

Best advice you could give to that young FO would be to put up with the application and try to pass that stage then the next one and the next one. If he successfully manages all that then he should consider what option will be best for him.

StudentInDebt
11th May 2005, 18:42
Looked at the form, from memory the questions are the same as they were when I applied 4 years ago and it had been around a while then!!

I guess its been badly converted to the pdf format by someone in the backoffice, not a surprise given the organisational changes taking place there.

Funnily enough one of the opportunities Thomsonfly offers annually is flying outside "Euroland" based at performance limiting 3rd world airports, sometimes without decent ground aids in marginal weather. But since we are flying for Thomsonfly it doesn't count as real flying.

international hog driver
11th May 2005, 18:55
AMEX has got the nail on the head.

nuffsaid:ok:

yeoman
11th May 2005, 19:35
Fair one Hog. BTW, Brits or Thomsonfly or whatever do a fair amount of flying into 3rd world airports, not a few in Euroland!

Back of the clock, max duty? par for the course on charter. New FO? Don't know mate, at 8 years in the RHS I consider myself one.

Take your point though, apologies for bitchy post, just done a back of the clock etc.

AMEX
12th May 2005, 09:27
A regab for International Hog Driver then ;) (or is it a Hansa/Castle?)

I must say one of the things I enjoy most with Brit is the variety found in flying.
Procedural work when inbound to the UK and Visual/handlflown/self positioning (you could count on greek atc but some things are better left alone :D) outbound.

Plus we get the odd contract that base you inPapua New Guinea, Indonesia, South America. Jolly good fun that is ;):D;)

international hog driver
12th May 2005, 12:50
No sorry AMEX its either Becks or Stella for me now.

Castle gives me headaches :yuk: and is only good with a bri:ok:
Hansa…. Not me either;)

However in POM an SP larger always went down well at the aero club. Try it next time your there.:ok:

In SUB or DPS I stick to Tiger.:E

Haven’t made it to süd amerika yet though!!:ok: :E :ok:

father murry
14th May 2005, 21:02
MAX and Timzsta

MAX - what the hell are you on about. The one thing common all pilots working for any airline in the world have is we MOAN. We love doing it and what else are we supposed to do all day.

Timzy or whatever it was - if thats what you do every day - good on ya dude. Keep it up, keep solvent, keep applying, dont take rejection personally, dont kiss arse and you will get your job one day for sure.

Hog driver. I agree with you. Its total irrelevant, good old Great British pompus bull****.

Gotta go now my Captain is burning a hole in the back of my head and bustin to MOAN at me cos this post has made me 4 minuites late for me report! F##k him!, - i dont know what his problem is were going anyway!!

MAX
15th May 2005, 13:19
Father,

I didnt say pilots dont moan mate. I think you should re read my post before I start MOANING about your post. Sh!t, I already have.:}

dreamingA380
16th May 2005, 18:03
(First Officers with 1500 hours total time to include either 500 hours jet experience or 1000 turbo hours. 737 Type Rated First Officers may apply with a minimum of 300 hours 737 line experience.)

Looks like I need a few more turbo hours before I can fill in that wonky form. The content but not the layout looks identical to the britannia one 2 years back.

Hey Student in debt.... if you are A/. still a student or B/. still in debt I wont be applying! :-)

Caraman
20th May 2005, 12:57
It was the worse application form I ever seen! And believe me, I have filled out a number of them. I wonder what people think of when forming such application.
But I had a good laugh while filling it out anyway :confused:

transilvana
29th May 2005, 19:40
If the company is a mess as its application form God Bless to those flying in thomson!!!!!

It´s the worst application form I´ve seen in my life!!!! The guys at HHRR must be drunk the whole day!!!!

Surely I am not going to apply at thomson...

Fokkerdriver
29th May 2005, 22:30
Come on guys!!

Don't judge the book by it's cover!!!! :uhoh:

I would count myself blessed to be working for them. So what if the the application form is a little bit messy....at least you don't have to pay to be able to send it in :ouch:

MAX
30th May 2005, 09:50
Surely I am not going to apply at thomson...

How small minded. :sad:

So the application sucks. Big Deal. If you knew anything about the company, its T and C's, great longhaul destinations, quick commands and quality of life you would grit your teeth and fill in the form.

Dont cut your nose off despite your face. Fill out the rubbish application and send it in.

flaps to 60
1st Jun 2005, 10:50
Transilvana and Caraman

Couldn't agree more. What a waste of paper and time.

Im surprised they didn't ask you for the size of your knob and the last time you went to the toilet.

HR obviously had nothing better to do one day and thought "how many stupid questions can we ask in 16 pages".

Have filled out many application forms and that is without a doubt the dumbest ever. Even the BA one was better than that.

It will be interesting to see as the impending "pilot shortage" takes a grip, how many pages will be cut as it gets more serious.

MAX
1st Jun 2005, 11:15
"..waste of...time"

Can I quote you on this if you are offered a job?

"pilot shortage"

HAHAHA. Get real.

Bloody whingers! :mad: