PDA

View Full Version : RSAF anybody?

Vibes
9th May 2005, 17:08
Hi there!!

Just wondering if any peeps ard here are from the RSAF.Kinda of curious abt somethings ;)

Echo 5
9th May 2005, 18:11
Depends what you want to know, and which RSAF !! :)

Vibes
10th May 2005, 05:17
republic of singapore air force

beerdrinker
10th May 2005, 06:02
You mean apart from binning the Typhoon?

Fox3snapshot
10th May 2005, 07:55
RSAF...pretty well oiled machine.

Due to the politics of the region maintain a highly defensive posture.

They conduct a lot of their training in other countries due to airspace restrictions. Australia for Helo and Basic jet training and a few other odds and ends and Europe/States for the fast jet ops. Paya Lebar and Tengah are their main bases, good rundown on it here:

Paya Lebar (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/paya-lebar.htm)

and here:

Tengah (http://www.mindef.gov.sg/rsaf/lpad/ab-ta.asp)

And as for the Typhoon decision, they Singaporians are also credited throughout the Defence industry as having a very meticulous selection process which unfortunately?? on this occassion excluded the Typhoon.

:8

L J R
10th May 2005, 17:34
So they decided that Eurofighter 2000 was a little late on the street to be RSAF Fighter 2010+ then.

..will BAE never learn.

Echo 5
10th May 2005, 19:20
L J R ,

" will BAE never learn. "

Your point is.................what exactly ?

Just curious.

L J R
11th May 2005, 19:44
....that the world does not live around eurofighter. There is a competition out there. - And some astute Mil aviation organisations may not like the 'Brit way'.

pr00ne
11th May 2005, 22:23
L J R,

"The Brit way?" Typhoon is European, Singapore wanted their toys earlier than Eurofighter can deliver. That's because there is an order book of about 600 of the things, nice problem to have..............

Always_broken_in_wilts
11th May 2005, 22:44
and just who are buying the "600 "problems" you mention:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Echo 5
12th May 2005, 04:56
Morning Wilts,

I think pr00ne is referring to the confirmed orders from the partner nations:

Great Britain 232
Germany 180
Italy 121
Spain 87
Total 620

Not sure if Austria has actually signed up yet and Greece is still a possibilty. Then there is Saudi Arabia possibly and I'm not so sure that Singapore is completely out of the equation. A couple of question marks there but I think the total figure will be a lot more than 600.

E5.:)

Fox3snapshot
12th May 2005, 12:11
I think Saudi has just purchased the Rafael....6bn Euro deal, up to 96 frames.

:rolleyes:

Strange that the committments for Typhoon are only from the partner nations......or is it?

:hmm:

maxy101
12th May 2005, 12:24
Well, the French are renowned for going out and selling their wares. The Brits are known for waiting for the phone to ring.

jindabyne
12th May 2005, 13:30
Fox3snapshot

I can tell you, on a month of your salary, that Saudi will not procure even one Rafael aircraft

Tourist
12th May 2005, 14:25
How many rafale though?
:ok:

Echo 5
12th May 2005, 17:14
Fox3,

............................................................ ............................................
I think Saudi has just purchased the Rafael
............................................................ ............................................

1984/85....pre Al Yamamah....at that time the Saudis were going to buy Mirage2000.............not a chance. It's all a bit of gamesmanship.
Can you just imagine a French flying instructor with an Arab student. It would make a bloody good Peter Sellers movie.

Funny you know, this thread started off with a simple question about the Republic of Singapore Air Force and here we are on about the Royal Saudi Air Force. One thing us PPRuners find easy is to DIGRESS.

Regards to all on this lovely sunny evening (here anyway),

E5.:cool:

jindabyne
12th May 2005, 17:29
Tourist

Aaah -------

Fox3snapshot
13th May 2005, 22:30
Sorry mate, signed sealed and delivered! They are getting Rafael.....

:eek:

I think your comment reference the Saudi\'s and French instructors is a little lost in your own context...

The Arabs have managed very well with Italian, English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Hebrew (Yes Hebrew!), Swahili, Pushtin, French, Farsi, German, and ooooh Arabic over the last 400+ years and contrary to your limited understanding have managed to add these languages to their knowledge base.

The Rafael will excel here....and believe it or not the Arabs probably speak more French than you......

............Unless you are Pierre Zee Fitter pillot!

Yippe Ki Yi Yay!

;)

Echo 5
14th May 2005, 05:02
Fox3,

This is a rumour site after all so we will just have to wait and see.
Lack of the usual media hype is rather suspicious though and a quick visit to the Rafael web site revealed nothing.

By the way,

" ............Unless you are Pierre Zee Fitter pillot! "

That's the one I was thinking of !!;)

Cheers,

E5:)

mach-hog
14th May 2005, 05:17
Echo 5

Back in the '90s when I worked for BAe, the company asked for employees to submit names for the new fighter, then known as the EFA... one chap quipped, "why not the 'white EFAlent?!!!" which I thought was clever and succinct...
cheers
Mach-Hog :cool:

Echo 5
14th May 2005, 07:09
Fox3,

Just found this after a bit of faffing around. Must admit I am a bit surprised.

< www.airliners.net/discussions/military/read.main/30458/ >

Cheers

E5

Fox3snapshot
14th May 2005, 08:17
Echo...Echo.....Echo....

Top stuff, just found that myself.

:ok:

P.S Sorry I just re-read my earlier post to you and my style, tone and level was not very appropraiate so I have edited it slightly. It was after nightshift and I was venting unnecessarily!
;)

Echo 5
14th May 2005, 08:48
Vibes,

Sorry mate we seem to have burgled your thread. This is fairly current so may be of interest.

< www.mindef.gov.sg/rsaf/misc/glinks.asp >

E5:)

Mmm........looks similar to the link that Fox3 posted. Never mind eh.

jindabyne
14th May 2005, 12:01
F3

As yet, nothing has been signed up. And it's Rafale dear chap.

Fox3snapshot
15th May 2005, 07:41
Ok so after 5 years of French I still can't spell.....

:(