PDA

View Full Version : Flying training at Camden

MrX
9th May 2005, 04:58
I would like to find what the best flying training school is at Camden. A few years ago I was warned about a school there but can't remember which one it was or who told me. Can anyone let me know what they have experienced lately.

Kickatinalong
9th May 2005, 09:16
Mr X , If you want a good one try Curtis Aviation, you won't go wrong.
Kickatinalong:ok: :ok: :ok:

DeltaSix
9th May 2005, 09:54
Hey Kickatinalong - is RM still the CP at Curtis ?........ I know the guy - good instructor.

D6

centurionII
9th May 2005, 10:05
yes. go Curtis Aviation, theyre the goods. CP is Craig Marshall, Robs son. :ouch:

DeltaSix
9th May 2005, 23:06
So what's Rob doing now ?....is he the CFI there ?

I might drop in one of these days to say hello before I go overseas.

D6

7gcbc
10th May 2005, 02:39
d6

Curtis are a great bunch of people, Rob is also CASA Examiner, Craig & Jim Drinnen are a rare treasure of experience and Tailwheel skills, There is also Niall & Jarred who are also very capable Instructors. If you want to get checked out in a Tiger Moth by Niall and learn to speak in a Dublin accent, he's yer man :D

I recommend it 100%.

7g

Zap Brannigan
11th May 2005, 01:00
Couldn't agree more. Curtis is without doubt a fine flying school. You'll find they're more stick and rudder oriented which you'll certainly appreciate later in your career- I certainly have.

Jim D is one of the greats!

Best of luck with your pursuits Mr.X

Wheeler
11th May 2005, 04:53
I think you would find they are mostly pretty good at Camden. To some extent it depends on what you want. Certainly Curtis are excellent and have some nice equipment but Airbourne have some lovely gear too. Are Camden Aviation still there? Also pretty good but different equipment. Gostner Aviation offers a remarkable range of licences and testing and is supposed to be getting a DA 40, complete with Diesels, glass cockpit and the lot - and of course they have access to Joe, hopefully. Then there is the Scouts and the other Air Cadet mob. All very professional and mostly very friendly. Anyone, I've forgotten?

The big advantage of Camden is that you have a very user friendly airfield, no tower (cheaper!) during the week, minimal waiting faffing around, taxiing and transiting. The airfield itself is the main differentiator compared to the big guy up the road and for my money is far preferable and well worth the short extra trip down the M5!

MrX
11th May 2005, 05:29
Thanks all for the info. Does anyone have an idea of the different prices per hour at Camden. I assume this will be dependant on the aircraft type and I'm happy for some guidance on this. Will not having a tower put limits on the licence they can provide, will I be able to fly into somewhere like Bankstown once I have my PPL?
I'm also interested in what people think about the rate of training. Is it better to do a few flights per month or go full on and fly every day?