PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help

Rob Courtney
7th May 2005, 17:54
Hi chaps,
I wonder if anyone can give us a bit of advice, as a bit of a hobby I help out at a local am dram company, this year they are doing "Copa Cabana" (you knoe the musical written by Barry Manalowe). As part of this show the lead guy kidnaps a girl and escapes with her to Cuba on an aircraft. As getting a full size plane onto a stage is clearly impossible they have decided to film said guy boarding a plane with the girl over his shoulder. The only problem is they have no idea where to get access to a passenger aircraft. I suggested Manchester airport viewing park as Concorde is sitting there doing nothing but was reminded that Concorde wasnt about in the 1950s so they need a prop job ie DC3 or the likes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ie outdoor exibit or friendly airline who might be prepared to help.

Many thanks.

Rob:D

Irish Steve
7th May 2005, 18:27
Suspect that you might be struggling with this one, the first that comes to mind with something sort of close is Aer Atlantique at Coventry with their DC-6, it's about as close as you will get to a trans atlantic aircraft from that era.

Not sure who you could contact, maybe someone else can help with that side of it.

Stevemcmli
8th May 2005, 02:11
There are a number of people throughout the UK who collect and restore old cockpits, some are even mounted on trailers for mobility. Try their association's web site at:

http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/index.php

PaperTiger
8th May 2005, 16:29
A lot will depend on how much of a stickler for accuracy you want to be. Since you have rejected Concorde, we assume that it is of some concern :)

Assuming you can't swing for a Cubana paint job, then a nondescript livery is probably best. There may be anoraks in your audience ready to hoot and guffaw at your hero boarding an Emerald 748 (say) !

Couple of semi-anonymous DC-4s at North Weald might do. Now what would be REALLY neat would be to convince the Science Museum at Wroughton to roll out their TWA Connie for you. Ooooh.

Rob Courtney
9th May 2005, 10:44
Thanks for everybodys suggestion, I really should have remembered about Air Atlantique in Coventry, I will give them a call. A DC3 would fit the bill niceley, failing that we will try Emerald as not many people will be able to tell the aircraft was wrong for the era.

Thanks again.

Rob