PDA

View Full Version : Forced landing at Bungle Bungles

SkyJetJockey
7th May 2005, 12:58
Machinery operator Rick Bolsterli supplied the Kimberley Echo with these dramatic pictures of a forced landing at Bellburn Airstrip in the Bungles.

The incident happened on Friday when a Broome Aviation scenic flight from Halls Creek developed engine problems over the Bungles.

The young pilot managed to line the stalled aircraft up with the airstrip and make a safe landing on the narrow service track beside the controversial strip.

Neither he nor his passengers were injured and there appeared to be no damage to the aircraft.
His passengers praised his skills and presence of mind.

Rick Bolsterli described what he experienced: "Markus, who was working at the western end of the runway, said over the radio, there was a plane coming in to land.

"The plane appeared to have engine problems.

"At that time the runway was used by machinery and there was not enough free space on it to land a plane.

"The pilot must have seen that there was a narrow service track alongside the runway and did a fantastic job in bringing the plane down on it," Rick said.
The airstrip has been the centre of controversy in recent times after it was closed for an upgrade just as the tourist season was getting underway.

Had the upgrade involved making a temporary strip parallel to the current strip, operations could have continued as normal and a safer emergency landing strip would have been available.

CALM claims this would have been too expensive.

Onan the Clumsy
7th May 2005, 13:29
The young pilot managed to line the stalled aircraft up with the airstrip and make a safe landing Well at least he didn't bungle it :ugh:

multime
10th May 2005, 21:15
Heard itall over radio. pilot gave pan call to bn then relayed through Singapore 228 overhead.210 or 206/207 only giving 14usg /per minute fuel flow. At least he realised the problem. :ok:
multi

185skywagon
10th May 2005, 23:10
would that be Rick(and Ursula) Bolsterli formerly of Charleville????

Dave Incognito
11th May 2005, 08:27
multime,

I don’t know what happened or what the bloke saw in the cockpit.

However, 14usg per hour is a pretty normal figure for a 200 series Cessna. You are not going to see 14usg/min (840usg/hr) on the fuel pressure/flow gauge. Looks like a 206 from the photo in the paper.

I can't believe this made it into the Kimberley Echo before PPRuNe... :confused:

Transition Layer
11th May 2005, 11:24
DI,

Long time no speak! Hope all is well up there and I bet you're enjoying yourself in the darkness now the bangers have all but gone for the year.

I was thinking the same thing myself about a fuel flow of 14USG/hr. That equates to around 53L/hr which sounds about right.

The 206 (an F model, god bless her) I used to fly had a fuel flow gauge in USG, while all the 210s I have flown are in lbs/hr. Normal cruise rate around 80-90lbs/hr. Perhaps he was getting 14lbs/hr in a 210, in that case i'd be pretty worried too!!!

Anyway, good on him/her!

TL

aussie.pilot..
23rd May 2005, 13:09
It was definitely a C206 VH-PIY

15 USG/hr is fairly normal..........in fact thats what I used to set it at when I couldn't be bothered to peak the EGT