PDA

View Full Version : US working visa

Trav737-400
7th May 2005, 10:45
Hypothetically speaking, say if I converted an Australian CPL to a FAA CPL and wanted to work in the US, what would be some of the ways I could obtain a US working visa? Would it be possible if I was offered a job that I could be offered a working visa. Just curious, thanks.

DeltaSix
7th May 2005, 14:50
Trav737-400

You need the right to work in the US first before someone would offer you a job. It doesnt hurt though to sniff around and see what's on the market then get your visa if you think you found something.

It can be a catch22 situation sometimes. Visa needs job offer first then job offer needs visa first.

D6

flametree
7th May 2005, 19:04
Forget it.
They will not issue a visa for you as a pilot, if you were in a profession that they have shortages in eg nursing then maybe. Unless you happen to know someone that will sponsor you and can prove that they could not find a suitable American to do the job then your best bet is find some homely girl, whisper some sweet nothings in her ear and get married.
If you were to do your flight training there then you can get a J1 visa and at least work there for 2 years.
Good luck.

Trav737-400
7th May 2005, 22:23
Thanks for the replies guys. Whats involved in getting a J-1 visa and does it allow u to work for income?. I was thinking of getting a CFI rating over there and working as an instructor.

Delta Six check your pm's

Chris Higgins
8th May 2005, 22:40
Trav, the J-1 Visa does allow you to work for an income.

Contact the US Consulate in your state capital for the lottery system for US work visas. I know two pilots who got here on the lottery system, they work charter in So-Cal.

devolved
11th May 2005, 02:53
Perhaps the new E3 visa with Aussies working in the US will help?
Not sure if it’s come into effect yet, however it seems to be on the news of late. They mention 3 year re-newable vias.

twisties
11th May 2005, 10:40
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=3380

Trav737-400
12th May 2005, 09:57
I just read about these new E-3 visas, it sounds promising. Does anyone know if I would be issued one for a job as a pilot?. If and when I did go over I would also have a B.Bus degree and possibly some post graduate study and of course a CPL/IR, would this help me out?

DeltaSix
13th May 2005, 00:28
Trav737-400

Actually now that you've mentioned it. It is a requirement to have a degree so you can stay there to work. Of course as a pilot.

It depends how many hours you've got but the opportunities for pilots are in abundance. Just dont be picky.

Good luck

D6

Trav737-400
20th May 2005, 23:51
Delta Six, what sort of oppurtunities are available over there?. If and when I do go over id say I have anywhere between 250-1000 hours as I plan to work in Aus first (hopefully anyway). Also can anyone recommend any good flight schools to convert my licence and to possibly do a CFI rating?.

Thanks guys, Trav

DeltaSix
21st May 2005, 02:03
Trav,

The last time I was there, the opportunities are scattered across the continental U.S. I found some in the Great Lakes area, California, Mexico, Dallas Fort Worth, Florida and so on. It's a very populated country from east to west, north to south. There are airlines which are like taxis, just waiting there on the tarmac for paxs to board without prior reservations. I know that American Eagle, the regional arm of American Airlines has vacancies in their turbo props. You will just have to decide where you want to stay first then have a look at the vacancies, or have it the other way around. Up to you mate. I can't identify all of them but if you go, then I'm sure you'll find something. Weather wise, it might not be the best at times if not most...:}

Get your working visa now while the flood gates are still wide open for aussies - it was just on the radio the other day. Just bear the torture of trying to pass their ATP Part 141 and 135 exams. Piss easy anyway. Weet bix type, you know what I mean ?

I know of a few aussies there who are 767 drivers based at DFW and O'Hare. You can tell because the tower would pause awhile and think what he just said. :} ......... then he goes "Sir, could you just repeat that last transmission"

D6

druglord
21st May 2005, 17:37
Deltasix, I did what you're proposing to do some years ago. Unless you have the right to work I wouldn't try. It's probably just as easy to get into Qantas as it would be to try to convert over. Unless you have ATP flight minimums you're looking at a lot of money to convert your license. I spent US5-6k. ATP mins are 1500 TT 100 night and 75 IF of which 50 is actual if (ie not sim time) Jobs aren't as plentiful as everyone in oz thinks either. It's just there's more of them, not necessarily more per capita. Companies are still getting 1500 resumes/month for 17k jobs flying B1900 or Saab340. Not that good. but if decide to give it a shot pm me.

DeltaSix
22nd May 2005, 06:31
druglord - that's what I said to Trav initially, he or she must have the right to work in the US before he can get any job.
On the otherhand, the US government has actually open the gates to aussies who wants to come to the US and work there of course with some conditions ( e.g. a Uni degree ). They were giving aussies the right to obtain greencards.

I didn't recommend to anyone who doesn't have the ATP minimums to go there unless they have the money to convert it.

All I was answering was the opportunities that Trav was enquiring about. And I did find quite a few when I was there sometime last year. With the impending bankruptcy of United and struggling AA, the smaller ones were picking up - as per someone that I spoke to in the industry. If it wasn't for sickness in the family, I would've taken the one offered to me.

I think Trav wants to build up the hours here and then go there as what I can gather in his post.

D6

Trav737-400
22nd May 2005, 10:51
Delta Six, your pretty much on the money. It would be ideal to go over with the ATP mins, both financially in terms of the licence conversion and also I would would think that it would be eaiser to secure a job(correct me if im wrong). Getting the working visa wont be easy I know but hopefully it'll work out in the end.

Cheers trav737-400

flametree
22nd May 2005, 11:33
I disagree.
If you could get the working visa, regardless of your hours I would go there. If you were a low time pilot and providing you chose the right school or job (eg traffic or banner towing) you could still build your hours to ATP mins.
The commutors and fractionals are hiring. But as I said the key is getting that darn visa.

Rich-Fine-Green
22nd May 2005, 19:33
The USA is not the Aviation world of milk and honey.

As Druglord wrote; 1900 & 340 jobs on 17k p.a.

You can not live on that in Seattle or Boston etc. Some FOs are said to work bars off duty to survive...

druglord
22nd May 2005, 21:39
deltasix,
whoops my bad, i thought you were the one that originally posted... my reply was meant for trav. but yes there are jobs, i haven't had to look for one for a while so I guess I'm not sure what the competition is like. our company hires low-time, ie 1500 and 500 multi, but getting the interview is the big hurdle.
best of luck with the endevours.

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Jun 2005, 16:24
How about the bigger airlines? Someone was telling me the other day they thought that they wanted you to have in the range of 5 years of living in the US first? Is this a fallacy?

Anyone know what sort of hours the larger airlines hire with (as opposed to what they advertise for a minimum. Specifically Continental?

I was thinking of the possibility of moving there in around 4 years time, I'd have 3300 hours total, 3000 multi turbine, just over 1000 captain time.

Thoughts?

Trav737-400
30th Jun 2005, 11:27
Hi everyone, after doing some research on this I would like to ask how I would go about getting an E-3 (employment) visa, as it will be neccesary unless I win a greencard (lottery system). I assume there would be some sort of form for myself and an employer to fill out, so if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

rsull
30th Jun 2005, 13:16
E-3 visas are for skilled profesionals with university educations and for specific fields only
for example (the usual)
Doctor
Nurse
Teacher
etc
etc

no luck for pilots though they are not listed and therefore no eligable.

My tip is shack up with a Yank. Back in flying school one of our instructors told us that daily with a yank or a pom. not a bad idea thinking back. too late for me now though im afraid.;)

Trav737-400
30th Jun 2005, 23:27
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html

Rsull, take a look here. One of the catergories for an E3 was:

Skilled Workers, Professionals Holding Baccalaureate Degrees and Other Workers receive 28.6 percent of the yearly worldwide limit, plus any unused Employment First and Second Preference visas. All Third Preference applicants require an approved I-140 petition filed by the prospective employer. All such workers require a labor certification, or Schedule A designation, or evidence that they qualify for one of the shortage occupations in the Labor Market Information Pilot Program. There are three subgroups within this category:

Skilled workers are persons capable of performing a job requiring at least two years'' training or experience;

Professionals with a baccalaureate degree are members of a profession with at least a university bachelor''s degree; and

Other workers are those persons capable of filling positions requiring less than two years'' training or experience

I am guess that a pilot could fit into the skilled worker catergory?. Correct me if im wrong, thanks guys.

rsull
1st Jul 2005, 02:34
Trav 737

i was told by a immigration agent here that for a pilot it would be impossible on the E-3, but there is only one way to find out. hire a visa attorney in the USA and see for your self. ill go you 1/2 and we can both have a go. My wife is a teacher so i can be eligable through her but that means she has to work, if she doesnt have to that would be better. the basic FO pay will probably force her to work anyway but at least its our choice then.

reynoldsno1
1st Jul 2005, 03:48
getting a J-1 visa

Be really careful with this. The J-1 was primarily devised for professionals from developing countries to train/teach in the US whilst earning, and then return home with new found skills/knowledge to benefit their homeland. There was usually a time limit, and a non-return caveat built-in.
They are issued for teaching posts by individual organisations, and are quick to obtain, and have a waiver on the caveats mentioned above. However, the catch comes with taxes - you will be assessed as "married, filing separately', which, funny old thing, attracts the highest rate of income tax. You will also find you do not qualify for most tax allowances/rebates. This can add up to a lot of money....

Trav737-400
2nd Jul 2005, 01:19
Rsull, I see what your saying. I only stll at uni and doing my CPL/IR and hopefully i will be finished by this time next year. However I have heard of pilots getting work authorisation on the H1-B visa (do a search on these forums) which is similar to the E-3 only that the E-3 lets your spouse work while the H1-B does not (i think thats right anyway). The other option is the greencard lottery which I will enter anyway, never know I might strike gold and after a period of time u can apply for citizenship. Oh, have a look at this article about the E-3 and let us know what u think, PM me if u prefer.

Thanks Trav737

http://www.visalaw.com/05may1/4may105.html

DUXNUTZ
3rd Jul 2005, 05:46
ITS SILLYNESS I TELL YOU!