PDA

View Full Version : Asic - Have We Gone Too Far?

Fly Jimmy
7th May 2005, 09:59
Hi all !

Just wanted a bit of feedback about the new ASIC rules. I applied for a photo licence about 3 months ago and recieved it within 1 month. The other day I recieved in the mail (like alot you would have) a package about new aviation security rules and in it was some information about pilots having to obtain ASIC cards. I work at a remote airstrip and regularily have to travel to Mackay and Townsville airports for only fuel and maintanance when required. I rang the imfo number (not thinking I would need an ASIC) and was told that I need to have one. Rang the airport, obtained and filled out the application and have the interview next week (or so im told).

Just wanted the views and opinions from some of you out there. There is no doubt that we need revised security measures and this is a good thing, however in a way I think having to obtain an ASIC to obtain fuel from an airport has gone a little too far?

All views and opinions appreciated.
Cheers

Jim.

Keg
7th May 2005, 12:40
If we all need ASICs, why are we paying $200 for some super duper bloody license?!?! Give 'em time and they'll be charging us $200 for an ASIC as well- only to have it do the same damned check as for the license in the first place!! :yuk: :mad:

turbinejunkie
7th May 2005, 16:14
Well, there's lots of suspicious looking rag-heads flying here, isn't there?

NOT!:mad: :mad:

Nothing like politicians and bureaucrats keeping themselves in jobs and making everyone's life miserable in the meantime for a few lousy votes built on paranoid hysteria. Remember the kiddies overboard afair and the Tampa?

Jackboots Johnnie the masterful manipulator wins yet again.

TJ :* :{

eh you! Pilot!
8th May 2005, 03:58
Guys if you already have the asiic then you don't require to do the background checks as well for the photo licence. Kinda sounds obsurd to be paying $200 though if you don't require this check... Hopefully some W:mad: r in casa will realise this and change the costing to reflect........ Likelyhood...... Nil!!!!!

John Eacott
8th May 2005, 06:54
There seems to be some hysteria aimed at CASA and Mr Howard. Try looking the other way at DOTARS: they've created this little schemozzle :rolleyes:

DOTARS inspired photo licence will accept the security check from an ASIC, at considerably less cost. Already covered on the appropriate thread.

Wheeler
8th May 2005, 09:11
We don't really expect the licensing authority and the airport owners to actually speak to each other do we? Its a wonder we dont need a card for every airport - or do we?

Just bureaucratic nonsense! - why won't the photo licence do for everything??

Fly Jimmy
9th May 2005, 04:32
Wheeler,

No mate thats the thing, I think we do have to be approved for the specific airport we are using. I mainly use Mackay, but because I sometimes have to go to Townsville, I had to get an added check and written documentation etc from my employer (all for going to use the bowser for fuel) so that I was approved to use more than one airport. Anyway I have my interview early next week, so ill post again after that and let you all know what I found out. Seems like a bit of a money making scandel to me. But then again I didnt have to pay for my photo licence (or not yet!) so I cant complain about that.
cheers

JIM

ALSO JUST FOUND OUT THE PRICES!

$130 (inc GST) - to be renewed for another criminal history check every 2 years.

JIM

$130 (inc GST) - to be renewed for another criminal history check every 2 years.

JIM

JIM

R4+Z
9th May 2005, 07:08
There are different types of ASIS card in that you can be issued with one for a specific airport or you can get an all Aus one. I needed an ASIC card for my day job but need to upgrade to all Aus due to my PPL. I have just checked and with my employers permission (as they paid for the original card) I can upgrade for $22

:D :D :D

18-Wheeler
9th May 2005, 07:17
Doesn't the sign on the security fence say "... unelss you have a reasonable excuse to be here ..." or the like?

So why do you need a security card, you've got a very valid reason to be there.
And a licence, so what's the problem?

Fly Jimmy
9th May 2005, 13:10
18 - wheeler

couldnt agree more. spot on

jim