PDA

View Full Version : Best detachment DVD

D-IFF_ident
7th May 2005, 04:54
If you could take only 1 DVD on detachment what would it be? Certainly wouldn't be that damned 'Gangs of New York' that someone left in the tower in Basra.

Black Adder Goes Fourth - Complete series from the BBC gets my vote.

Incipient Sinner
7th May 2005, 05:58
Ah... the world's shortest thread. Case closed!!

You can't dispute Slackbladder.

Axel-Flo
7th May 2005, 07:32
South Atlantic 90/91 (it was video then but I hope you dont mind the tie in) we only had 2 that were watchable a Chubby Brown concert (it was ok but not a great)and "The Blues Brothers". BB wins and we even got to the stage of having a Blues Brothers Quiz Night at the "Lot" all 40 questions from the film eg.."How many times does Elwood take his hat off during the film?", "Name them?".....;)

P.S Diff_ are you any where near San Fran next week?

mr ripley
7th May 2005, 07:56
Obviously it would have to be 'Fight Club'.

fabs
7th May 2005, 09:13
I was wondering where my copy of 'Gangs of New York' was! Got to be better than the copy of 'The A Team' which I found there one boring night shift.

I'm with DIFF and IS, has to be Blackadder.

The Helpful Stacker
7th May 2005, 09:20
If we're talking mainstream DVD's then it'd have to be 'Phoenix Nights Series 1', otherwise I'd say the mountain biking DVD 'The Collective' which I'm taking to Club 18 - 30 Basrah in the near future.

opso
7th May 2005, 09:22
Dogma.

Alan Rickman in top form, Salma Hayek as a stripper (and ex-muse), Chris Rock wise-cracking, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon tempting nuns and slaying the board of Mooby and the Buddy Christ! Add God going skeetballing and foul-mouthed or silent prophets and you have one of the best det films ever.

Cambridge Crash
7th May 2005, 09:27
Whilst serving at Al's Garage, we had access to the voluminous (yet heavily censored) MWR video library (DVDs were on the horizon). The most favoured video was 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' (it makes you think...) but we ferreted out, inter alia, 'East is East' and 'Muriel's Wedding'. What the Americans made of 'Pakis' (to quote the film) in Bradford in 1970 , or indeed an overweight ockker living the Abba dream was anybody's guess....

On an earlier occasion, I worked with several senior Turkish Officers. They could recite all of the 'Yes, Minister' and 'Yes, Prime Minister' episodes off by heart. They were exposed the the series at Staff College in Turkey, and given the role of the Turkish General Staff in the government of Turkey, wholly appropriate.

But I agree; Blackadder any time!

PileUp Officer
7th May 2005, 10:09
Yeah, Blackadder can be found in the crewroom of a top secret training establishment in(on?) Anglesey. Certainly helped us pass the time during $hitty weather periods!

StopStart
7th May 2005, 10:23
Hmmmm........tricky...

I think it would have to be a Pheonix Nights one

That said, I do remember a couple of sad giffers (you know who you are) going for a "real time" series of "24" out in BSR.... Required a fair bit of gin to get them through the night I seem to recall.....

L1011GE
7th May 2005, 10:49
Lock stock (and blackadder) all compressed onto 1 dvd...

If the jingly in the shop in Basra terminal can get 5 dvds on 1 disc It cant be that hard...

Impiger
7th May 2005, 11:20
For people of my vintage it would have to be 'Life of Brian' a quote from the film could be applied to just about every imaginable situation. Close second would be 'Animal House' but of course Slackbadder had not been written then. Top stuff and oh sooooo applicable to today's detachments.

lampeterexile
7th May 2005, 13:01
Again pre DVD days. In Muharraq , Bahrain Gulf War 1, I remember the film Rita, Sue and Bob too. Certainly raised the morale on a few occasions!!!!. However one of the most watched movies was The Little Mermaid. A squadron of techies watching a kids cartoon, would you believe it. Saying that many of you probably would.

akula
7th May 2005, 13:56
Would have to be "Rocco's All Anal Adventures 26" as installment 25 got some viewing the last time I visited the sandpit.. God bless the singly's

ALWAYS assume NEVER check

BigGrecian
7th May 2005, 15:58
What about a few seasons worth of 24?
Should be enough hours there!

Blackadder would also get my vote.

D-IFF_ident
7th May 2005, 17:33
Axel - Unfortunately going to be a few thousand miles West of SF from tomorrow, then possibly a few thousand mile East the following week.

Definitely going to be in the SF area for at least a month after that, got a course to do :cool:

Hadn't thought of Phoenix Nights. How about the best det dvd collection then?

1. Blackadder goes fourth.
2. Phoenix nights series one.
3. Snatch.
4. Fight Club.
5. Withnail and I.

And possibly 'The Notebook' if there are any ladies on the crew.

SmilingKnifed
7th May 2005, 17:36
Master and Commander, top stuff.:ok:

fill_n_d
7th May 2005, 17:36
For pure humour and blinding bad language it has to be Twin Town, if you haven't seen it yet you are missing a classic:D

exleckie
7th May 2005, 19:19
Definitely Blackadder goes forth.

Can you believe that the last Slackbladder series is 17 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A timeless classic.

Exleckie

Shagster
7th May 2005, 22:22
I'm afraid that you're all wrong........."Love Honour and Obey" is it.

Brit gangster black comedy.....Ray Winstone, Kathy Burke, Jonny Lee Miller, Sean Pertwee and Denise Van Outen amongst others....Fantastic soundtrack is a bonus.

Farfrompuken
8th May 2005, 05:55
There is only one film that anyone should be allowed to take:

ALIEN.

"In space no-one can hear you scream"

Perfect for those howling winter months down in the Death Star when you get lost for the umpteenth time.

If you were allowed a second...

ALIENS...

for the more light-hearted moments.

If you were allowed a third....

The Thing (colour version feat. Kurt Russell)

A perfectly balanced collection.;)

C130 Techie
8th May 2005, 13:27
Blackadder goes Fourth - Excellent, watched it almost every day at MPA in '91.

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2005, 15:06
Shack Det to St Mawgan just after the Nott cuts, a Shack deployment had to be the entire sqn, most moved by train and we all got back in one piece too but:

First Blood

and

Pretty Peaches.

I think Peaches won by a stroke :}

engineer(retard)
9th May 2005, 08:42
PN

If that was the Ocean Safari one that took the Bucc boys from Lossie as well, I was there. 26 hours Elgin to Truro, stopping every time a scheduled handcart went past. Took all our ground equipment as well. Unfortunately the power sets had not been correctly chocked in their containers. When the door was opened, they all fell out on top of one another. Only one left serviceable.

Wasn't that also the same trip of the infamous home movie, where a stripper in one of the hotels went for afters?

Regards

Retard

Pontius Navigator
9th May 2005, 17:10
engineer (retard) yup, that's the one. Day into night and all that. We were billeted in a hotel down town but fed on base. They were F*ng joking. Trog all the way to St Mawgan for and all the way back to the pubs.

We had breakfast in Woolies for £1.95 and Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding, two spuds and two veg followed by Apple Pie and Cream for £3.95.

Got a bit monotonous having the same dinner for about 5 nights on a row but that was their fixed price menu. But the beek was superb as was the apple pie.

Can't remember a thing about the exercise but everything about the videos as we were also holding QRA at RS 60 for 24 hours at a time.

Stax
10th May 2005, 09:35
Blus Bros, Commitments, Slackbladder 2 to 4 and LS&2SB, no doubt about it.

"We're on a mission from God"