PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes spyware?

Tone
6th May 2005, 18:02
Now here's a curious thing, if I run Ad-Aware or Spybot I usually get a few alerts - if I run Micosoft AnyiSpyware it never finds a single problem (and yes, I do run it first, before the other two have killed all the nasties)

Is AntiSpyware just a waste of disc space or is Microsoft's definition of spyware different to everyone elses?

Any thoughts?

Coconutty
6th May 2005, 18:46
Microsofts's definition of "Spyware" :
Spyware is a general term used for software that performs certain behaviors such as advertising, collecting personal information, or changing the configuration of your computer, generally without appropriately obtaining your consent.

I don't think there's a problem with the "definition" of what Spyware is, more the way each Spyware detector / eliminator / destroyer or whatever is kept up to date with the latest variants - and this can be likened to Virus detection / protection software.

( I have my own definition of viruses but won't lower myself to use that kind of language here :yuk: ).

If you don't keep your PC updated with the latest virus definitions, or update your Anti Spyware program you ARE likely to get infected !

Microsoft's AntiSpyware (Beta) WILL download automatic updates :

Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your computer can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware, including slow computer performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding more than 50 ways spyware can enter your computer. The worldwide SpyNet™ community plays a key role in determining which suspicious programs are classified as spyware. Microsoft researchers quickly develop methods to counteract these threats, and updates are automatically downloaded to your computer so you stay up to date.

BEWARE though that any Udpates are generally playing "Catch Up" ( See above "KNOWN spyware..." )
The virus / or Spyware usually exists first and then an Anti Virus is developed, or Anti Spyware, so the Auto updates won't provide total protection. You just have to hope that you update before you get infected / afflicted, and that if you do suffer the worst that you will be able to successfully identify and remove whatever it is you got !

Thank heavens for Microsoft's Backup Utility - but do we all use it as often as we probably should - Discuss :ooh:

Jerricho
6th May 2005, 18:47
Tone, different anti-spyware/adaware programs tend to have some differences in their "list of known threats". I've played with several of them, and some seem to pick up more things than others. As MS is a beta at the moment, some of the threats may not be in it's list yet, hence it doesn't recognise them as such. Some search bars that install themselves onto Internet explorer can be detected as spyware by certain software.

Wikipedia gives a good description here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware)

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th May 2005, 19:38
Tone.....

Likewise here (http://www.theeldergeek.com/spyware_applications.htm)

mcdhu
7th May 2005, 13:25
''.as MS is a Beta at the moment''. What exactly does that mean?

I find the same as Tone. MS finds nothing, after which Adaware may find 30 or so items. Strange. And the AOL spyware thing rarely finds anything either. So Adaware SE 1.05 gets my vote.

Cheers,
mcdhu