PDA

View Full Version : May ATPLs

Big_Mach
5th May 2005, 19:58
Mainly a post for people to commiserate, but how did everyone find the May exams...in particular Ops Procs and Met?
Down here, at London Met, we're feeling slightly overwhelmed - are 17 appendices the norm? I know even our invigilator was aghast at the number of pages in the exam.
Quite a few new questions kicking around...and we've still got HPL to go!!

andyfpilot
5th May 2005, 20:20
The Meteorology exam was extremely difficult. I think even someone who had studied the subject for a considerable amount of time would have struggled. I believe the CAA have probably brought in a consultant who doesn't realise the level at which this subject is taught. Even one mark questions were made into something beyond the normal boundaries (eg im sure most people who took the met exam knew that large supercooled water droplets create clear ice and small rime ice ....but even those questions were made into much longer versions!)

I would say that the exam was not of a normal standard expected and like the performance exam from previous months should be looked into....i know everyone from our exam room found it extremely difficult with most thinking they have probably failed.

Any other opinions from the rest of the country appreciated!

FFP
5th May 2005, 20:53
Thought it was alright actually . .. . . . . but then again I did my brush up at Bristol !

17 attachments was abit OTT, but then the Q's with them were straightforward.

Let's see what HPL has in store tomorrow . . . .

AndyDRHuddleston
5th May 2005, 21:18
Although I haven't sat Meteorology this time around, the most difficult of the exams that I have found so far has to be Flight Planning. It has been the only exam that I have needed all the time allocated. How did you all find it?

Oh well....back to the Airlaw/HPL study!!!

Best of luck to you all with tomorrows last couple.

ADRH

0-8
6th May 2005, 07:02
I was actually expecting Met to be worse than it was. I sat a last minute practice exam before going in which that gave me real shock. So when I got to the real thing I was almost relived. Almost.

When the invigilator told us there were 17 appendices there were a few big sighs around the room but I think we are better off with as many as possible.

All the information is in front of you and it saves you having to mentally visualize what is happening and then pick the answer with the best wording. So I think a lot of people will have done better that they thought. Fingers crossed.

General Nav was an odd one. Just a single, very basic, plotting exercise. But they made up for it by having lots of extra whiz wheel work, my CRP was smoking by the end of it.

Lots of what happens to your CAS/Mach/Tas questions in instruments and a few odd flight director ones as well.

TenAndie
6th May 2005, 07:48
The start of the week went very well for me.

The performance was very fair i thought. I even got the graph one right.........i think, but the word is that its been appealed and everyone is getting the mark anyway !!! :ok:

Mass and Balance was a very straight forward exam. No + or - Mass, no filling a trim sheet in, only one mass shift question !!

Ops was average i thought. A couple of questions that i aint seen before. Was speaking to some of the Bristol guys after and there feedback at brush up sounds pretty good. They all recognised everything in the exam !!

Flight Planning was a nightmare. There were two 4 mark questions and that could be the only thing that saves me as i got them right. Some very dubious questions (ie Aberbeen CTA).

Radio Navigation..........don't even go there :{

HP + L today :uhoh:

muppethead
7th May 2005, 08:29
TenAndie,

Just to pick up on your comments as quoted below:

"The performance was very fair i thought. I even got the graph one right.........i think, but the word is that its been appealed and everyone is getting the mark anyway"

Could you elaborate as to your claim above, has your school told you this or are you just speculating as to the possible outcome??

I too sat the performance exam which I found to be very fair, but the last graph question did stump me a little, got a different answer every time I did it!!. :mad:

It would be interesting to find out about your comments.

Good luck with them all:ok:

andyfpilot
7th May 2005, 15:51
Can anyone remember a few questions from the Met Exam on Thursday:

1/ Taking off in the early morning after a clear night ... would the wind suddenly change / large but gradual change up to 5000ft. (i think it may have been one of those answers) ?

2/ What was the airmass shown in the annex ?

3/ Can anyone remember the answers to the last 2 questions on the paper about the Metar predictions from the annexes?

ChocksAwayUK
7th May 2005, 15:58
I've found the point allocation for the questions for all my exams last week a bit strange. Performance, for example. The later graph question with the answer 175m (I hope), couldn't really have had any other answer, there was nothing tricky about but it was worth 3 points. The earlier one with the answer 525 was only worth 1 mark yet the answer spread was very close - i did it four or five times always arriving at the wrong answer, 440. :\

Same with law.. all sorts of simple seeming questions worth 2 points.

Anyhoo.. a tortuous 2 weeks awaits.

High Wing Drifter
7th May 2005, 16:10
The later graph question with the answer 175m (I hope), couldn't really have had any other answer, there was nothing tricky about but it was worth 3 points.
I had one in a previous met exam. I could not see what the issue was. It turned out during the inevitible post mortem that I had completely missed that the chart was for a different FL range than the question...oops!

pipergirl
7th May 2005, 16:31
I thought the question in the Perf paper with the answer of 525m was a three point question...i'm almost 100% sure it was:confused:

andyfpilot
7th May 2005, 16:37
going back to met exam can anyone help with those questions above ?? thanks

ChocksAwayUK
7th May 2005, 16:55
I thought the question in the Perf paper with the answer of 525m was a three point question...i'm almost 100% sure it was

Oh - i couldn't remember which of the 2 was the 3 pointer but someone assured me the next day that it was the "175" one. If not that's -6% to me :{

skies the limit
7th May 2005, 16:58
andyfpilot

Re the Met exam, I put a large gradual change up to 5000ft, but I wasn't too sure about that question. What did you put?

andyfpilot
7th May 2005, 17:05
Re Met:Really wasn't too sure about that one, but I went for the same answer as you ...hope its right! I need every mark going in that exam especially as that was a 2 marker question.

Pressure Error
7th May 2005, 20:10
Did the question you are thinking of refer to the conditions the evening or night before then start with; “you are departing from an airfield early morning the wind is calm and variable what would you expect during the climb?”

I seem to remember thinking about an inversion, causing a sharp increase in speed and change of direction (in the climb) and that fitting one of the answers.

I would also appreciate any comments on the METAR questions, I think I chose (a) on the last question. I think it was describing the expected weather in a Col over Zurich although I can’t remember what time of year it was?

There is a good chance I am wrong however as it was my third attempt of Met, still the CAA canteen is quite good and the free exam pencils come in handy.

andyfpilot
7th May 2005, 20:49
re last 2 q's on met paper...I seem to remember going for a wind direction of 210 deg on one of them and 240 deg on the other, cant remember which options they were though im afraid.

I personally thought that the take off (early morning inversion) question was a large but gradual increase to 5000ft...i stand to be corrected though.

muppethead
7th May 2005, 21:16
Col question in MET was Zurich in October, therefore light winds, calm conditions, Fog, poor viz etc. It was a 3 marker as well!!

The wind question was take off after a calm clear night in high pressure (low level inversion), so the answer would be rapid change in speed/ direction with altitude ( windshear)

andyfpilot
8th May 2005, 09:12
Does anyone remember what they put down for the annex showing an airmass? I think it was either polar maritime / tropical maritime??

ifleeplanes
8th May 2005, 09:20
Thank god I did these a few years ago, Id get about 10% now if I sat them..:uhoh:

benyfly
8th May 2005, 10:52
Hello all,
As far as i can remember the question about distance (440/525) was a 2 mark question. Is there any word on the fact that it was challenged by quite a number of people. I certainly could not get 525m after doing it 4 times and my answers were always closer to 440 (~457m)

regards beny

DVR6K
8th May 2005, 14:38
Zurich col question an absolute gift. Likewise the 2 4 mark point of equal time questions in flight planning.

Aberdeen CTA chart question a bit cheeky but then again the answer was staring you in the face in a box. And thank god for pages 50 ish to 57 in the Jeppy manual, answers galore!

As for Ops, what a great way to start the week! Question x - "In MNPSA (minimum navigation performance specification airspace) what is the blah de blah...?" Next question - "What does MNPSA stand for?"

Easy money!

Radio Nav, however... Anyone got any input as to the dead reckoning aspect of the 737 FMS? I assume it requires a wind input from the ADC... (Ah, just seen the radio nav thread).

Goldwings
18th May 2005, 11:47
Anyone got any info on when the results are coming out. Getting very impatient!! :}

G SXTY
18th May 2005, 18:13
And I'm getting thirsty. Hangover booked for Saturday, whatever the results. :ok:

winggeek
19th May 2005, 13:05
hello all,

does anyone know when the results are coming out???

the wait is worse than the exams themselves, expected them to be here this morning but no show from the post man once again!!! so if anyone could shed some light on when i can get my drinkin arm back in swing please do,

kind regards chaps

Winggeek

tu154
19th May 2005, 13:24
if you're in Ireland, expect them about wed/thurs next week, seems to be the standard. Got them from the school last time, they had them well before me.

0-8
20th May 2005, 08:30
Well, I've been reliably informed by a chap who receives a much better postal service than me that the results have just arrived on his doorstep

Now that I know this I'm finding it impossible to concentrate on studying for the next module. My post doesn't get delivered until about 13:00 so I'll be biting my nails all morning!

Good luck everyone - I hope we all get the results that we're after.

Stoney X
20th May 2005, 08:38
I got my results this morning. All 14 in the bag. Big thanks to Alex and the crew at Bristol.

Only down side is that the pubs aren't open yet! :\

Regards
Stoney

Daft Wader
20th May 2005, 12:17
Just got my results from Oxford so they are out.....

May the farce be with you

Daft Wader:ok:

G SXTY
21st May 2005, 09:09
Yes! All 14 out of the way, with big thanks to Alex and everyone at BGS.

The hangover arrived as planned. ;)

Pressure Error
21st May 2005, 19:51
Finally finished all 14,

Thanks every one at Bristol GS

AndyDRHuddleston
22nd May 2005, 01:02
14 first time passes in the bag!!

Thanks to all the instructors at Naples Air Center