PDA

View Full Version : QF 1 D???in Vienna????

Dentist
5th May 2005, 15:43
I was inbound to Vienna this morning and heard a Qantas QF 1D just depart the field? Anyone with info? as QF don't fly to Vienna and the QF1 is LHR flight? Cheers

OzPax1
5th May 2005, 16:16
Vienna is an alternate for QF flights from Singapore & Bangkok to Heathrow to use if they can't meet the Tempo minimums for arrival at Heathrow. Landing in Vienna is ussally caused by strong headwinds enroute or bad weather at Heathrow or a combination of both. They refuel in Vienna and then fly onto Heathrow. I have been a passenger on several flights on the route that have had to do this.

r3please
5th May 2005, 20:15
Nothing as exciting as that Ozpax1. The aircraft was in Vienna due to a charter flight for a cruise company. I think QF have around 12 over a four month period. Milan is another destination you may a 744 at.

QF have been doing these trips over the summer months for the past few years.

Brutus
6th May 2005, 00:21
I think you will find this was a diversion.

There was a small hassle re loading/carrying a bag and security before they could depart Vienna.

*Lancer*
6th May 2005, 00:55
Qantas (Number) D is usually used when that flight is significantly delayed (D). Charter flights use 60XX flight numbers.

You'd be pretty unlucky to have to divert solely because of poor winds... there's already 4000kgs of kero on board to cover that! :)

Flight Detent
6th May 2005, 03:13
I my experience of long haul flying, the suffix 'D' is always used in the case of a significantly delayed flight.

Cheers, FD

Mr McGoo
6th May 2005, 06:24
Yep the D suffix is for significantly delayed flights. The reason: because on the other side of the world the next days QF1 would have departed SYD and you can't have two flights airborne with the same callsign. So the delayed flight gets the D suffix to distinguish it from the other QF1.

Therefore QF1D out of Vienna would have be a diversion.

Dentist
6th May 2005, 08:30
Many Thanks Gents.

Capn Bloggs
6th May 2005, 11:53
Nothing as exciting as that Ozpax1. The aircraft was in Vienna due to a charter flight for a cruise company. I think QF have around 12 over a four month period. Milan is another destination you may a 744 at.

This just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on Prune...or can you? :suspect:

SkySista
6th May 2005, 12:07
r3please and Cpt Bloggs

have seen ads here promoting an 'exclusive' tour with a certain group (around 40 days or so) inc cruise, touting 'private Qantas 747 charter jet'. So it obviously happens/has happened at some stage before.

(But the 'D' for delayed sounds right.)

Sky

r3please
6th May 2005, 18:21
Whoopss!!! I made a mistake, the charter flight was actually to Venice and not Vienna. OK they both start with a V. Give me a break I'm Aussie!

Here is the pattern details from the LHR bid package:

|* Pattern: CAL02 | Base: LON Status: A Complement: FSD 1 C/S 1 CFA 7 A/C 6
+-----------------------+
Route Code: LHR99 Weeks: 6 Dates Op: 30/04
Skills:
Cnfg Report Departure Arrival Slip Transit Minimum Duty Duty
V Service Type Pax Sectors Time Day LST UTC Day LST UTC Time Time Rest Hours Credit
2 QFA6048 S LHR/VCE 0645 SA 0800 0700 SA 1055 0855 TRANSIT 2:00 ------ ------ ------
2 QFA6049 S VCE/LHR SA 1255 1055 SA 1400 1300 7:45 7:45
Days Away: 1 Minimum Base Turnaround: 0 Available: 0230 Overtime 1: 0:00 Overtime 2: 0:00 ODTA: 0 ADTA: 0
+---------------------------+
Totals: Duty Hours: 7:45 Flight Duty Credit: 7:45 Elapsed Time Credit: 0:00 | Applicable Credit: 7:45 |
+---------------------------+

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
7th May 2005, 01:56
r3,

You must feel really important cutting and pasting off CIS! Couldn't just let us know that you confused VCE with VIE, could you?

Although your little c & p is not super-sensitive, this forum is not the place to be posting any information of a company proprietory nature.

It's FAs like you who cast the vast majority of your peers in a poor light when you act before you think.

What else have you 'proudly' shared with the world?

:sad:

*Lancer*
7th May 2005, 02:33
Skysista,

Sounds like you're describing the annual "Captain's Choice" Tour. This year they're using a 747 Classic, and going to different spots in Africa and the sub-continent. Vienna isn't on the itinerary... Considering that it costs around 70k depending which class of travel you choose, and doesn't feature on the website, it is pretty exy! ;)

r3please,

Given that you only registered in Jan, and you're posting from the LON base bidbook... don't worry about it!! :D

Lancer

SkySista
7th May 2005, 05:46
Lancer

Thats the one. They've been flogging it to retirees in the RAC brochure for awhile now.

scrubed
7th May 2005, 23:51
The "D" callsign suffix is added to flights where the crew are comprised solely of Dorks.

Wonderworld
8th May 2005, 00:26
I believe it was a medical diversion.