PDA

View Full Version : Twin CPL/IR or Single CPL/IR

T67
3rd May 2005, 20:44
Hi folks,

I need a little advice please. I've completed my ATPL writtens (yey - arn't they a barrel of laughs ! ), and I allready have IMC,NR and ME, but I have only 300 hrs including just over 30 in a twin Com. I'm now looking at doing the CPL and IR. It's taken a while to save up the cash so I need to spend it with care - and there isn't a lot of it (bet you've not heard that b4 :p ).

Will I gain anything at all by spending the extra cash and doing the CPL and the IR in a twin - or is this just a money spinner for the schools ? Should I just do the CPL and IR in a single and build up my ME hours ?

Would much appreciate any helpful advice - many thanks

Best regards

T67:confused:

ATP_Al
3rd May 2005, 21:18
T67,

Whether you do the CPL in a single or twin is a matter of personal choice.

However the same is not true when it comes to the instrument rating. You HAVE to do the IR in a twin if you want to use the rating on multi engine aircraft. If you do your IR on a single you will get a single engine IR which will not be much use when looking for an airline job.

Hope that helps,

Al:ok:

T67
3rd May 2005, 21:34
Cheers ATP_Al !

Well I guess the hammer and the piggy bank will meet after all !

Thanks for the advice

T67:D

Maude Charlee
4th May 2005, 07:47
Not so fast my eager young bank raider. The test (IRT) would need to be completed on a twin in order for you to obtain a multi engine IR, however, I believe you can do as much training and preparation as you like on a single engine aircraft until you get to grips with the concepts of IFR flight and navigation. This would help to keep your costs down slightly. All you need do then is a relatively short period of training on light twins to familiarise yourself with the aircraft and the higher speeds involved and the additional degree of difficulty this adds. How much twin time you would need is a matter of how long it takes for you to get to grips with it, but the more single IFR time you have, the easier things should be. I'm sure somebody can link to the relevant docs for the CAA minimum requirements on each type.

As for the CPL, you get exactly the same validation on your licence whether single or twin a/c are used for the skills test, so keep the costs down by doing it all single engine (it needs to be a complex a/c though - wobbly prop, windy up gear) and give yourself the best possible chance of passing. You have the rest of your career to be all adventurous and to push the limits of your abilities.

Tallbloke
4th May 2005, 09:50
Am I correct in saying that for the M/E CPL you don't do EFATO and PFL but have to demonstrate OEI procedures instead?

T67
5th May 2005, 11:43
Thanks for your reply, good advice ! cheers:ok: