PDA

View Full Version : "Grass" from Antigua to Middle-East

ExSimGuy
3rd May 2005, 19:36
Okay - I thought the title would get you looking :)

Serious post though - help needed.

The consignment is - to put it non-technically - "grass cuttings". Nothing illegal or that can be smoked(!) but a simple commercial shipment of lawn-grass sprigs from Antigua to Riyadh.

Volume around 550 cubic metres, but preferably shipped in two loads. Weight? - probably about 400 tonnes for the total amount.

Shipping conditions? - In bags, and on pallets, and needs to be kept "chilled" (like fresh vegetables) but NOT frozen. Should not be "in transit" (or any other kind of van ;)) for more than a couple of days or so..

So my questions:-
1) What sort of aircraft (if any) would be suitable as a full-load charter?

2) If feasible, who should I be talking to? If not, alternate suggestions as to air freight options?

Yes, I know I have strayed from my R&N and Jet Blast, but hopefully the Freight Dogs can advise beter than my usual forums (fora):O

VP8
3rd May 2005, 20:31
Looks good for Antonov loads

AN225 in 3 trips

AN124 in 4 trips

PM me if you want Antonov Airlines contacts

;)

VEEPS

ExSimGuy
4th May 2005, 04:23
Thanks Veeps :D

I hadn't checked out any freight aircraft specs for load capacity, but had suspected that we were talking "big a/c" (it was late in my time-zone when I posted, after yet another 14-hour day!)

Looked at Foyle/Antonov's web site this morning, as well as Boeing's site . . .

So the AN225 can lift the 747 Freighter and its load!

Now need to contact our supplier to find out exactly what we are shipping - it's "12,600 bushels", which equates to around 550 cu.m. (I'm told!) but the ANs can carry lots more if the weight is less than 1 tonne/cu.m.

Have passed the London contact to our Gen. Mgr. to do the "commercial talking"

I just knew I'd get my answers from PPRuNe ;)

(PS - Now I wonder how I can wangle myself a job as "cargo attendant", coz I\'ve never flown flight deck on an Antonov ;) )

CR2
4th May 2005, 06:39
Antonov's would be ideal, though as far as I understand the availability is next to zero right now.

Anyone checked the runway length in Antigua?

Flightwatch
5th May 2005, 05:01
Don't know the exact runway length but good for a fully loaded

747 - 100/200/400 to LHR

VP8
5th May 2005, 06:31
CR2....

AN124 availability quite good at the moment if you book quick!! :ok:

TAPA/ANU 2743M looks OK to me!! need to look at temps though!!

VEEPS:E

Hockham Admiral
5th May 2005, 09:30
:O Veeps, Hi

I didn't know you'd escaped! Nice to know you're working with some of the ex-HLA guys. Is Vince Jones still around?
Brgds to all the old guys, JR.

Thunderbird 3
5th May 2005, 15:48
Vince is still very much around and working with VDA at STN.

kekoa
6th May 2005, 21:24
I don't know of any a/c that could do it in one load. B-747 could do it in three to four loads. Kaliita Air Charters, or Polar could probably accomidate your needs. Good luck

cargosales
9th May 2005, 05:32
Suggest you try talking to a Charter Broker as they have access to different airlines / aircraft etc and are used to negotiating with airlines. I can suggest a few decent ones if you'd like. PM me for more info.

Let us know how you get on regardless

CS

flying_tyger
10th May 2005, 09:24
Which Charter Brokers do you recommend for getting Antonovs?

Thunderbird 3
10th May 2005, 10:06
Check your PM's

ExSimGuy
10th May 2005, 18:20
A colleague messed up here - the load is actually 50 tonnes - not 500 :mad:

And he still can't tell me the weight! - he's about as much use as a chocolate teapot!!

(Pity, the rates on the AN were impressive!)

cargosales
12th May 2005, 14:54
The point about charter brokers is that they act a middlemen between the shipper and all the different airlines. They do not focus on any one aircraft type or any one airline and will find the most appropriate / cheapest aircraft for any given cargo.

VP8
12th May 2005, 17:43
Ex Sim Guy

Check emails.......gotta better deal!!:ok:

Flying Tiger

If you want a quote for the whole Antonov range send me a PM and miss out the middle man:ok:

VEEPS