PDA

View Full Version : Networking Help please

roach
3rd May 2005, 14:25
Yet another networking problem I am afraid. I have read previous posts but they do not seem to apply.
Here goes…PC1 on XP, PC2 on Win98se and both connected satis through a D-Link wireless router. PC1 can see PC2 but I am denied access, PC2 can not see PC1. PC1 file system NTFS, PC2 on FAT 32 I think.
I hope it is simple…for me to fix it has to be!
Can anyone shed some light?

maxell
3rd May 2005, 15:31
NTFS can see FAT32 and read it but a FAT32 drive cannot see a NTFS drive
Have you setup share on any folders on pc2 your FAT32 computer, right click on folder you want to make available to other computer and look for sharing and security and set share level
easiest option is to do as I have to due to NTFS/FAT32 problem and move what ever files you want to share between computers into the FAT32 computers shared file using copy paste

roach
3rd May 2005, 15:36
Thanks for the comment.
I can live with PC2 not seeing PC1 but does this mean no printer sharing as well.
What I don't understand is why I am being denied access to PC2...what am I doing wrong?

Saab Dastard
3rd May 2005, 18:43
Ensure that the computers are both in the same workgroup.

Check that you can ping the IP address of each PC.

Check that you can ping the name of each computer.

Ensure that you have created shares on each computer as required.

Win 98 uses FAT or FAT32, which doesn't support security other than at Share level, so it is always easier to see shares on a Win 98 PC from an XP PC than vice-versa, as XP uses NTFS which supports file-system security in addition to Share-level security.

Suggest you see M$ site for networking 98 and XP info.

Sd

R4+Z
4th May 2005, 05:38
Yours sounds very similar to the problem I had. Have you read the solution I found its Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=169011&highlight=eureka)

737TG
4th May 2005, 14:24
I have the same problem. Just cannot get a laptop to share a printer or files through an ADLS router. Tried the link above - very good but still no joy...also tried all the Microsoft help sites.

Anyone found any other sites on this subject?

roach
4th May 2005, 17:10
I am still trying just bald now!
I read that XP on NTFS will read 98se files on FAT but not the other way round. Still does not help me as my XP can find the 98 but access is denied and this is as far as I can get.

Saab Dastard
4th May 2005, 22:36
Try this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007)