PDA

View Full Version : Computer usage

quacker
3rd May 2005, 10:59
Hi I'm joining Cathay within the next couple of months and wondering whether to purchase a laptop for my use. I've used one previously however I am wondering what you tend to use for computer access on overnights etc.
Is it an advantage to have your own computer for the type conversion and HKCAD exams for studying.
Does it get in the way (are you weight limited) if you take a laptop in your onboard/ o'night luggage for trips.

Second question - webmail - any advantage on whether you use Yahoo/ Hotmail or any other web based mail whilst you are in transit.

Any thoughts/ comments most appreciated.

tamalai
3rd May 2005, 12:27
wow, you don't already have a laptop ??? just about essential nowadays, especially in Hong Kong...........but if you want to buy one, wait till you get to Hong Kong as you'll find that HK is about 2 years ahead of the rest of the world in computer technology and importantly CHEAPER !!! Most places in HK now have wireless internet access etc etc. You won't need a laptop for your course etc and three weeks CBT will be enough computer time to p##s you off for a while but check around and get "Vol 8's" as these will give you all the questions and answers you need. When you join you'll also get a sign on for "IntraCX" and you can access this through your personal computer via "i-connect" but most crew hotels have a Cathay computer you can use as well !!!

hope this helps

Good luck

MrX
11th May 2005, 06:02
what is CBT????:confused:

Techo Taxi Driver
11th May 2005, 06:10
Computer Based Training.

On the CBT, is it pretty well elf study and exams online or is it done in conjunction with classroom lectures.

Is the Sim used for system understanding at all or only for flight training?

Cheers
TTD

MrX
11th May 2005, 06:23
Do elf really exist????:confused:

Techo Taxi Driver
11th May 2005, 06:47
Nice, Self :\

TTD

Sqwak7700
12th May 2005, 07:09
Not to mention, and one of the best things about Cathay, you can through out your 50 lbs kit bag. No jepps to lug around or revise, they are maintained by for you in the aircraft library. When you pick up the paperwork for a flight, you also get two trip kit binders with the charts you'll need for that sector.

Aircraft manuals are also maintained in the aircraft library. The only things you are required to bring are a pen, calculator, and your licenses. Long haul guys also bring some pajamas so the uniform don't get all wrinkled up ;)

I would keep my laptop bag up front, and you're checked in luggage goes in a crew bin (Pax fleet), then you pick it up at baggage claim.

Hope that helps

tamalai
12th May 2005, 11:07
great but doesn't answer the above question, Do elf's exist???

More importantly, can you name all eight of Santa's reindeer ??

How about all seven Dwarfs ??

or here's a hard one often asked on line checks, "Name all seven actors that comprised the "Magnificent seven"

Answer all the above and win a major prize !!!!

MrX
17th May 2005, 03:05
Tamalai

You have got me thinking now. Do you know the answers to the following questions:

1. Are Santa's Reindeer and sled registered?
2. Does Santa hold a Multi Reindeer Command Instrument Rating?
3. If so who does he use as his testing officer?
4. If he does not hold a MRCIR can he really fly around the world and remain VFR?
5. Looking at him I'm don't think he holds a valid aircrew medical, is he breaking the law?
6. Does he have restricted airspace around his workshop at the North Pole?
7. Does he flight plan at all?
8. Does he have emergancy proceedures for Reindeer Out situations?
9. To make it around the world in one night he would have to fly at very high speed, has he ever caused any damage due to his sonic boom.
10. Does Santa remain current during the year by doing local flights or does he have a simulator?

Any information on the questions above will be appreciated.

MrX:E

KC-10 Driver
17th May 2005, 19:30
One Christmas Eve, Santa was getting ready for his annual around the world flight.

Shortly before departure, a North Pole Aviation Authority Inspector arrived and announced that Santa was getting a no-notice line check.

Santa saw that the inspector was carrying a shotgun, and asked him what it was for.

The inspector leaned over, and told Santa, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you are going to lose an engine on takeoff."

BlueEagle
17th May 2005, 23:37
Hands up all those who can still remember the thread topic?;)

Techo Taxi Driver
18th May 2005, 02:54
Ok, back on topic. Is it possible to power laptops from the aircraft power in flight deck or crew rest, or do you need to have a huge battery endurance?

VR-HFX
18th May 2005, 07:11
TTD

Carting a laptop around the network will be far more trouble than it will ever be worth.

It will provide you with a never ending source of frustration .... plugs, wireless settings/connections, hotel telephone exchange systems, access numbers. If you still insist then I can guarantee it will be stolen somewhere or at the very least cause you undue trouble at every security check point.

If you have it with you, you are supposedly contactable..if you use hotmail or whatever, you may or may not be contactable.... same goes for bl..dy mobile phones.

Last time I looked they still had things called books that you can use to pass the time..and not as bad for you as CRT screens.

If you need to play with numbers, bring your jepp CR-2...mine hasn't been powered up for 30 years and it still works fine.

Techo Taxi Driver
18th May 2005, 07:36
Hmmmmm, ok...

What sort of trouble do you get at check-points? Surely n more than any other traveller with one?

VR-HFX
18th May 2005, 08:08
Isn't that enough...pull it out of the bag...someplaces...turn it on...

Not trying to turn you off...just offering some advice from my own experiences.

Cheers

BusyB
18th May 2005, 08:28
With a 12" powerbook it doesn't take much space, good battery life, skype on nightstops costs very little to contact home. Most hotels have broadband except TPE and NRT.

VR-HFX probably still carries scrolls! (papyrus at that)

Techo Taxi Driver
18th May 2005, 09:20
Actually, BusyB, skype was one of the main reasons for me to take a laptop away. Also, when there was nothing on the inflight entertainment. (or at least something without subtitles;) )

Cheers
TTD

VR-HFX
18th May 2005, 09:37
BB

Touche..

Actually need the scrolls to carry all the plugs, wires and details of settings etc. Skype...well and good but by the time you pay for the coffee to access the network or the min charge for broadband in the room...ain't it easier to pick up the phone with the added bonus of keeping it short. Otherwise get out and get some exercise

As to inflight entertainment...just stay in the jumpseat and start talking company politics...although you may still need the subtitles.

Cheers